Thread: brachial plexus / sci

brachial plexus / sci

taking the sacral (might have spelled it wrong, starts with an S though) nerve from both legs and doing a nerve graft from both legs into one arm for brachial plexus reparir.

arm gets better,
    does this hurt the recovery over the next year (under 2 years post SCI) in both legs?

any damages that come from not having the sacral nerve regarding motor and/or sensory function.

sciatic nerve?

i'm not familar with the procedure... enlighten me.

there are multiple sacral nerves, FYI.

It's the Sural Nerve from the back side of the calf muscle and runs down to the heal and outer ankle bone. It's a sensory nerve, and I had both of mine harvested for grafting nerves to other nerves in my right side Brachial Plexus (arm paralysis).

The only down side is a loss of sensation about the size of a tennis ball on the outer ankle bone, which I don't notice at all anymore and it's down to the size of a quarter of limited sensation after 6 years.

The only real problem of using a Sural Nerve, is that it's a sensory nerve being used to replace a motor nerve, and it can't quite provide the juice that a normal larger motor nerve could for the muscle it's targeting (biceps in my case).

Where are you having this surgery done? And what is the function you are trying to regain?

Best of Luck,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by freedomdan View Post
    taking the sacral (might have spelled it wrong, starts with an S though) nerve from both legs and doing a nerve graft from both legs into one arm for brachial plexus reparir.

arm gets better,
    does this hurt the recovery over the next year (under 2 years post SCI) in both legs?

any damages that come from not having the sacral nerve regarding motor and/or sensory function.

this was done 6 months + ago; thanks for comments!

hello cljanney:
    I got my sural nerve transplanted into my left brachial plexus as well, I'm able to compress the biceps but can't movevery much, my hand is paralyzed.

How is you recovery going?, I'm 1 year from the surgery, but I'm still hoping to recovery.

alan

Hi Alan,
    What nerves exactly were injured? If your hand is still paralyzed I am assume that you had possible avulsions (nerves torn from the spine) with C7, C8, & T1. I have limited hand use that is still recovering 7 years later. I had C5, C6, & C7 avulsed, so my C8 & T1 nerves were crushed and stretched and have had regeneration over the years.

It is my understanding that if you have had C7, C8, & T1 avulsed, no nerve grafting surgery can help because of the amount of time it takes for the nerve to regenerate all the way down the arm and to the hand. By the time it reaches the hand, the muscles are too far gone into atrophy.

I know that surgeons are using the Phrenic nerve, which innervates the lung's diaphragm, and harvesting the nerve from the base of the diaphragm, which means it will be longer and won't have to regenerate the distance from say the armpit. They can relay it all the way down to the hand. But I can't imagine it would be extremely useful.

The best thing I can recommend is to write your doctor and ask him exactly what kind of expectations you might have if everything worked according to plan.

Best of Luck,
    Chris

Alan,
    Try this website for more people with TBPI:
    http://ubpn.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=18