Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diarrhea will not stop, i caught stomach virus

Question Diarrhea will not stop, i caught stomach virus

My Doc ordered kaopectate & it isn't doing a damn thing. Are there any other options my Doc went on vacation friday. Eveyone in my house has this stomach virus. And nothing anyone takes will stop the Diarrhea. I end up filling the bed with liquid even when i eat nothing. I've been injuried 26 years and never encountered anything as bad as this.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Oh man, Norm, I am so sorry you're going through this. While there are a lot of challenges involved with being paralyzed, IMO the absolute worst part of it all is having diarrhea and being unable to run to the bathroom. I really feel for you.

You can also use Pepto Bismol, which I had better luck with than Kaopectate. (PB may, however, turn your tongue and your stool black. It's harmless, just weird.)

I'm assuming that since your doctor didn't recommend it, you should stay away from Immodium -- the way it works can actually end up trapping the nasties inside you for longer, making things worse. However, I have gotten so desperate for relief that I have tried Immodium, just to try and slow things down a bit. I can tell you from too much experience that using the Immodium sparingly (two a day) in conjunction with the max daily dose of Kaopectate or PB has given me some symptomatic relief. You should be okay as long as you don't take so much Immodium that it completely stops you from going. The opinions of a doctor or pharmacist or SCI Nurse about whether this is a good idea or not may vary.

Best of luck that this passes quickly for you and everyone affected.

--THC

If it is not C Diff, ask him for a script for Lomotil (Diphenoxylate and Atropine)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lomotil
    And the truth shall set you free.

You Might want to check out this site www.greattastenopain.com
    Dan.

I left after i posted my first post I ran to get Immodium. i need this to stop now. Pepto has worked well years ago. i was going for that next.
    Last edited by Norm; 03-01-2009 at 01:38 PM.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

If it is a virus it needs to run its course and you need to get cleaned out. Then take the imodium. Diet should be liquids-water, nothing with too much sugar or spices. Bananas and plain rice, applesauce and toast are supposed to be helpful.
    If it is a bacteria infection, you will need antibiotics. So if it isn't bettr on Monday you need to call the doctor.

CWO

How many days of Diarrhea am I supposed to put up with. How many egg crates, chucks, not to mention family members I've had to have help me. My dad sat here for 4 hours late last night as I crapped every half hour. Now he's sick & throwing up after being around me & my Grandmother for the last 3 days. My Grandmother was in overnight at the Hospt. she's had this for two weeks. I do a suppository every morning since this started at least that blows me out until the dreaded night time. Then it starts all over again. Its going on my 4th night. This thing is insane & its spreading around.

I'm confused. If he can take immodium, why couldn't he take lomotil?

Norm, call your doc and ask about Lomotil and stop the madness.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Will Lomotil be the end all. I'm still hearing intestional noise with the Immodium. Which means to me its not working.

I just got an order for lomotil. I hope this works. I have been taking the Immodium starting this morning.