Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Austin Texas Open House Info-Saturday, March 14th

quadfather,

Thank you, somehow I missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    quadfather,

Thank you, somehow I missed that.
    No biggie. I do think the threads should be merged.

Texas legislation against Stem Cell Research

While this does not impact Dr. Young's research for the clinical trial since he is using umbilical cord cells at this time, it will affect medical treatment for Texans in the future. Please feel free to move this to a better place if this confuses the issues.

Presently in the Texas Senate, there is a rider to the budget, SB 1, and the bill, SB 1695--dr) which would ban ALL hESC (human embryonic stem cell) in Texas in any research facility that receives any state funding—(including) all our public and private labs. This would pretty much cut off Texans from progressive treatment. via Don Reed from StemCellInformation@yahoo.groups.com

Anyway, there is a link below which tells you how to get in touch with your Senator, Representative, etc. if you would like to call and simply state your opposition for this rider and bill and your support of embryonic stem cells.

" ONE PHONE CALL—TO SAVE TEXAS STEM CELL RESEARCH RIGHTS!

by Don C. Reed

Dear Friends:

Anti-research forces in Texas are trying to pull a fast one, to kill all
    hopes for embryonic stem cell research in the state, permanently. They
    are doing it two ways.

First, Senator Steve Ogden (R-Bryan) "quietly" inserted a
    24-word provision banning state funds for any form of embryonic stem
    cell research-- into the Texas budget (SB 1). If the budget passes
    (which it must) as is, the research is effectively banned.

According to the Dallas Morning News, "The Senate finance committee,
    which Ogden heads, took only two minutes to consider his rider. It says,
    "No funds appropriated under this act shall be used in conjunction
    with or to support research which involves the destruction of a human
    embryo."—R. T. Garrett, Dallas Morning News, March 30, 2009.

Senator Ogden did not allow research scientists or patient advocates to
    speak.

Afterwards, Ogden was asked if that provision would kill embryonic stem
    cell research in Texas. He reportedly responded, "If that one
    doesn't, my next one will."

Second, Senator Ogden's bill, SB 1695, would "…end all
    embryonic stem cell research…in any of the laboratories of our
    state. Even private institutions like Baylor College of Medicine would
    be affected because they receive state funding."—Texas research
    advocate Dr. Ralph Dittman, cited in Huffington Report.

Folks, the debate on the Texas budget begins Wednesday, which is
    TOMORROW.

As always, Texans for the Advancement of Medical Research, TAMR, is
    leading the charge against this insidious infringement on research
    rights.

Friend Judy Haley, immediate past President of TAMR, says:

"This is the worst situation we have ever had… an emerging
    disaster. They (the rider to the budget, SB 1, and the bill, SB
    1695--dr) would ban ALL hESC in Texas in any research facility that
    receives any state funding—(including) all our public and private
    labs. This would be a disaster, not only in Texas, but as a model for
    how to do it (damaging legislation) for the rest of the nation."

Joe Brown, current President of TAMR suggests a message:

First, if you live in Texas:

Click on this link http://www.fyi. legis.state. tx.us/
    <http://www.fyi. legis.state. tx.us/> and enter your home address under
    "who represents me" to find your senator and their phone number.

CALL OR FAX YOUR STATE SENATOR WITH THE MESSAGE:

"Stem cell research is important to me, to my family, and to
    millions of Texans; it is unacceptable for the Texas Legislature to pass
    any bill or rider which restricts embryonic stem cell research done
    under National Academy of Science ethical guidelines. I want Senator
    ____________ _ to actively work to make sure that neither SB 1's
    prohibitive rider nor SB 1965 do not become part of Texas law."

Don't live in Texas?

Call anyway.

Three calls you could make:

1. David Dewhurst, President of the Senate and Lt. Governor: (512)
    463-0001
    2. Jim Pitts, Chairman of House Appropriations Committee: (512)
    463-0516
    3. Joe Straus, Speaker of the House: (512) 463-0516

Nothing fancy is required. Just tell whoever answers that you oppose the
    anti-embryonic stem cell research rider on the Texas budget this year,
    and also you oppose SB 1695.

You might even tell them why, maybe mentioning a condition which affects
    you or a loved one."

This has been shortened, but the address is include if you wish to view the entire article. Please call!

SB 1 and SB 1695

If anyone lives in Texas here is the phone numbers for U.S. State Senator John Cornyn office in Dallas: 972 239-1310 and if you live in Mansfield, Tx District 10, don't quote me on that it's Senator Wendy Davis local 512 463-0110. I'm shocked to hear this info b/c it greatly affects our daughter's chances for e-stem clinical trials in Texas.
    Aggie Mom 2007

You can go to www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/senate/Members to identify your Senator as well as e-mail them

If you have difficulty with the above link, you can simply Google "Texas Senate".

Stem Cell Update

Quote Originally Posted by Don D. 73 View Post
    You can go to www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/senate/Members to identify your Senator as well as e-mail them
    I received a letter from David Dewhurst, Lt. Gov of Texas(4/10/09) and he said Texas would only be interested in continuing adult stem cell and he was in favor of adult stem. He said nothing in his letter about e-stem. This is one way that Texas doesn't have to deal with this issue, b/c I went to the FDA site and found adult stem is classified as a drug and it takes 7 to 12 yrs. to be approved by FDA? I also emailed U.S. Senator Cornym and senator Wendy Davis of Texas and also Joe Barton is our rep. for the district we live in. Gov. Perry better start getting clued in to his people in his state b/c Gov. Perry states in our local paper he wants Texas to become a biomedical/research state. I can't believe I voted for these people.
    Aggie Mom 2007

I am unsticking this thread since the topic has shifted considerably. We have too many stuck threads, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jhorn4012
    I received a letter from David Dewhurst, Lt. Gov of Texas(4/10/09) and he said Texas would only be interested in continuing adult stem cell and he was in favor of adult stem. He said nothing in his letter about e-stem. This is one way that Texas doesn't have to deal with this issue, b/c I went to the FDA site and found adult stem is classified as a drug and it takes 7 to 12 yrs. to be approved by FDA? I also emailed U.S. Senator Cornym and senator Wendy Davis of Texas and also Joe Barton is our rep. for the district we live in. Gov. Perry better start getting clued in to his people in his state b/c Gov. Perry states in our local paper he wants Texas to become a biomedical/research state. I can't believe I voted for these people.
    Jhorn4012, may I suggest that the best way to deal with people who oppose embryonic stem cell research is to tell them the facts. The facts are as follows:
    Embryonic Stem Cell Research Does Not Kill Embryos. Thousands upon thousands of blastocysts are being thrown away every day from in vitro fertilization clinics, with permission of the parents. The cells are derived from embryos that would otherwise be thrown away. In the process of each in vitro fertilization, as many as a dozen eggs are mixed with sperm to fertilize them. If 8 are fertilized, they grow them for 2 weeks, select the best for implantation, and then throw away or store the rest. In 2002, over 58,000 in vitro fertilization procedures were carried out (Source), suggesting that hundreds of thousands of blastocysts are being discarded each year. Is it really better to throw them away than to use them to understand diseases and save lives?
    Induced Pluripotent Stem (IPS) Cells Are Not the Same as Embryonic Stem Cells. Yes, scientists have now discovered that introduction of four genes can stimulate a cell to become pluripotent, to make all different kinds of cells. This does not mean that the cells are the same as embryonic stem cells and that they could substitute for embryonic stem cells for therapy or research. Mouse IPS cells were first discovered in 2007 and the first human IPS cells were created in 2008. While they are pluripotent, IPS cells are not embryonic stem cells. They are only cells that have been induced to be pluripotent. They hold great promise as a source of cells for therapy but much needs to be done to make the cells safe and differentiated enough to be transplanted.
    Adult Stem Cells Don't Do Everything That Embryonic Stem Cells Can. Adult stem cells are highly restricted in their ability to produce cells in tissues. For example, if one implanted umbilical cord blood stem cells into the spinal cord, the cells do not become neurons, astrocytes, or oligodendroglia. They remain mononuclear cells. We are using them to treat spinal cord injury because we know that the cells produce neurotrophins when treated with lithium and, if they are HLA-matched, they are not rejected. But, if we want to have produce cells that can make neurons, astrocytes, and oligodendroglia, we have to use either neural stem cells isolated from fetal or adult brain, or derive the cells from embryonic stem cells. While some investigators have claimed that they can grow neurons from bone marrow cells or mesenchymal stem cells, none have developed a procedure that consistently produces neural cells from bone marrow, umbilical cord blood, or adipose (fat) stem cells.
    Embryonic Stem Cell Research Is Essential for Progress in Biomedical Science. Embryonic stem cells are the cells that make the rest of the cells of the body. Understanding process by which these cells do so is essential for understanding development. Without that understanding, we cannot develop rational therapies to prevent congenital deformities, cerebral palsy, and other conditions of development. We don't know the genes that are necessary and sufficient for each stage of development, that are responsible for producing neural stem cells, mesenchymal stem cells, endodermal stem cells. Study of embryonic stem cells will also be key to understanding cancer and the development of therapies for cancer cells. Finally, for those who are concerned with the use of animals to test drugs, embryonic stem cells will save millions of animals because they will allow the testing of drugs on different kinds of human cells.
    Shutting Down Embryonic Stem Cell Research Will Be Devastating To Biomedical Research in Texas. In my opinion, all the best stem cell scientists in Texas will leave the state. Those who say that this will focus the research on adult stem cells in Texas are wrong. It may attract some scientists who are willing to take advantage of adult stem cell funding but it will turn off the best stem cell scientists and they will be looking for jobs elsewhere. More important, it will cripple the researchers in Texas. Texas scientists will not be able to study embryonic stem cells, not even the cell lines that had been approved by President Bush. What good researcher would tolerate having one hand tied behind his or her back while taking on the most important and difficult problems in medicine. Federal funding for biomedical research in the state will dry up.

It is like shooting one's own foot and then expect to run a marathon.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 04-16-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Texas's Standing on Using Embryonic Stem Cell

Quote Originally Posted by The mom View Post
    While this does not impact Dr. Young's research for the clinical trial since he is using umbilical cord cells at this time, it will affect medical treatment for Texans in the future. Please feel free to move this to a better place if this confuses the issues.

Presently in the Texas Senate, there is a rider to the budget, SB 1, and the bill, SB 1695--dr) which would ban ALL hESC (human embryonic stem cell) in Texas in any research facility that receives any state funding—(including) all our public and private labs. This would pretty much cut off Texans from progressive treatment. via Don Reed from StemCellInformation@yahoo.groups.com

" ONE PHONE CALL—TO SAVE TEXAS STEM CELL RESEARCH RIGHTS!

by Don C. Reed

Dear Friends:

Anti-research forces in Texas are trying to pull a fast one, to kill all
    hopes for embryonic stem cell research in the state, permanently. They
    are doing it two ways.

First, Senator Steve Ogden (R-Bryan) "quietly" inserted a
    24-word provision banning state funds for any form of embryonic stem
    cell research-- into the Texas budget (SB 1). If the budget passes
    (which it must) as is, the research is effectively banned.

According to the Dallas Morning News, "The Senate finance committee,
    which Ogden heads, took only two minutes to consider his rider. It says,
    "No funds appropriated under this act shall be used in conjunction
    with or to support research which involves the destruction of a human
    embryo."—R. T. Garrett, Dallas Morning News, March 30, 2009.

Senator Ogden did not allow research scientists or patient advocates to
    speak.

Afterwards, Ogden was asked if that provision would kill embryonic stem
    cell research in Texas. He reportedly responded, "If that one
    doesn't, my next one will."

Second, Senator Ogden's bill, SB 1695, would "…end all
    embryonic stem cell research…in any of the laboratories of our
    state. Even private institutions like Baylor College of Medicine would
    be affected because they receive state funding."—Texas research
    advocate Dr. Ralph Dittman, cited in Huffington Report.

Folks, the debate on the Texas budget begins Wednesday, which is
    TOMORROW.

As always, Texans for the Advancement of Medical Research, TAMR, is
    leading the charge against this insidious infringement on research
    rights.

Friend Judy Haley, immediate past President of TAMR, says:

"This is the worst situation we have ever had… an emerging
    disaster. They (the rider to the budget, SB 1, and the bill, SB
    1695--dr) would ban ALL hESC in Texas in any research facility that
    receives any state funding—(including) all our public and private
    labs. This would be a disaster, not only in Texas, but as a model for
    how to do it (damaging legislation) for the rest of the nation."

Joe Brown, current President of TAMR suggests a message:

First, if you live in Texas:

Click on this link http://www.fyi. legis.state. tx.us/
    <http://www.fyi. legis.state. tx.us/> and enter your home address under
    "who represents me" to find your senator and their phone number.

CALL OR FAX YOUR STATE SENATOR WITH THE MESSAGE:

"Stem cell research is important to me, to my family, and to
    millions of Texans; it is unacceptable for the Texas Legislature to pass
    any bill or rider which restricts embryonic stem cell research done
    under National Academy of Science ethical guidelines. I want Senator
    ____________ _ to actively work to make sure that neither SB 1's
    prohibitive rider nor SB 1965 do not become part of Texas law."

Don't live in Texas?

Call anyway.

Three calls you could make:

1. David Dewhurst, President of the Senate and Lt. Governor: (512)
    463-0001
    2. Jim Pitts, Chairman of House Appropriations Committee: (512)
    463-0516
    3. Joe Straus, Speaker of the House: (512) 463-0516

Nothing fancy is required. Just tell whoever answers that you oppose the
    anti-embryonic stem cell research rider on the Texas budget this year,
    and also you oppose SB 1695.

You might even tell them why, maybe mentioning a condition which affects
    you or a loved one."

This has been shortened, but the address is include if you wish to view the entire article. Please call!

Anyway, there is a link below which tells you how to get in touch with your Senator, Representative, etc. if you would like to call and simply state your opposition for this rider and bill and your support of embryonic stem cells.

I received a letter from our Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, and this is what he said after I had emailed him asking him why my daughter's own adult stem cells are classified by the FDA as a drug: "I strongly support this type of research: adult stem cell. This treatment will without harming human embryos, whom Texas law defines a human being as an individual who is alive, including an unborn child at every state of gestation from fertilization until birth (Penal Code Section 1.07 (26)), but yet in our local newspaper the Star Telegram our Gov. Perry is quoted saying he wants the state of Texas to become a biomedical leader in research. I also emailed U.S. Senator Cornyn and senator what's her name and never received a reply to my question of why my daughter's own adult stem cells must be classified as a drug per the FDA guidelines/procedures policies.
    Aggie Mom 2007