I was told about voc rehab by some people I knew, by several doctors and friends, about how they will help get me trained for a job, pay for school, all kinds of things. I called the office nearest my home and they told me because of where I lived I needed to call a different office. I called that office and they told me it was the wrong one and I should call the other one back. So I did and they were adamant that I should go to the other place. I gave up for a time and eventually called the second office and relayed the yo-yo experience and they set up an appointment a few months away saying they weren't as anal as the other office so it would be fine for me to go there. (right away with the use of the word 'anal' I should have realized) When the appointment finally came the counselor there first went over my application with me and treated me like a child as he spoke very slowly and pointed to every letter in my name on the application as he held it up in front of me asking if it was correct... and your name is P-E-T-E-R ugh by the time we got through my last name I was about to scream, then he did the same with my address. That is, until he got to the city and told me I was in the wrong place, then he left me for several mintues came back and called the other office I had originally called in the first place and got me an appointment there, several months away.
When that day came this guy wasn't quite as bad and when I explained my goal was to get some training and a job so I could get off of Social Security Disability he seemed excited. He told me I was the first person in the 7 years(seven years!) that he had been there who wanted to get off disability. We went over a few things we needed to do to finish getting me approved for Voc Rehab and said he'd call and set another date after receiving this info he needed. I went the next day instead of waiting for doctors and SS to mail the things he needed and turned it in to the desk at the office and told her to give it right to him as he was waiting for it - the rest of the week passed and I hadn't heard from him. I called him and was only able to leave a message and still no call back for two days - then he finally called and set up an appointment to get going months away again. Finally on that day - (the first week of this month) I met with him a scond time. Everything we discussed he typed notes in his computer and spoke them out loud as he typed - commenting on his backspacing and going to other pages in the program on his computer. He told me stories about how crazy it gets around his house on Conference Weekend and several times after telling an endlessly long story would ask himself "what was my point?" - "o-well...". Then at the end of the appointment - the end because i couldn't stand anymore by the time the next thing happened I stood up and told him I was leaving. Done with the computer stuff, he then began to question me in amazement why in the world I would want to get off of disability. He said "man if I was on disability I would be content to just lay around my house and mow my lawn". It's difficult to get help from someone who envies the disabled. Then he talked about every job he had ever had and how he grew up on a farm and at 5 years old had to get up at the crack of dawn and get his chrores done and he had been working ever since. I wouldn't put it past this man to do something to harm himself so he can be considered disabled and just lay around his house and mow his lawn. So - after that meeting I was about to vomit over this man's lazy attitude and called the office wanting to talk to his supervisor - So I talked to the supervisor finally (a whole month to actually get a callback) and she defended this guy on everything. She told me I should stay on disability because "no one will hire someone with a history of seizures".

I guess all these people who work at Voc Rehab are getting paid for doing nothing therefore they believe we all should!