Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vocational rehab stories

Vocational rehab stories

I'm putting together some stories for a paper I'm working on. I'd also like to read others experiences to compare to my own.

So if you have anything you'd like to share about voc rehab please do. Is there anyone here who actually had a good experience? If you had a bad experience what happened. What do you think could be changed? I know that each state is different in what they can do but I seem to hear the same story everywhere I ask.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

My voc rehab in Weatherford Oklahoma was great. They paid for gas while I went to school, bought me a titanium chair ti lite, roho quatro and offered and asked if there was more for them to do. They also paid for hand controls and a lift for my truck. I can say nothing bad on them. The one gripe if I could actually say that, is it did take some time to get it all done. At the cost of free who could bitch. Addiesue if you have any more questions let me know I will answer anything.

Voc rehab offered to come up with funds for "driving lessons" but when it came time I just figured, I know how to drive, all i need to do is drive with my hand not the foot, no biggie. I do wholeheartedly thank them for the offer, Univ Wash. SCI clinic. "The Best in the West"

i want to punch my voc rehab representative in the face. and she thinks i'm not physically capable of doing it. when she first met me my mom had to hold my hand around the pen to put an x on the papers to sign, then some months later, she came to my house and i was on the couch with a blanket. she asked me "shouldn't you be in school?" i said "i graduated, my mom's in the kitchen." then my mom led her right back to me and she seemed embarrassed and surprised. don't want to look crippled? getchyerself a blanket and a couch; no one will be the wiser.

so then came school, and i had to stay in bed the day she came because i had a welt on my butt from my shower chair, so that didn't help matters. at the time i wanted to go to school for biology to teach and told her flat out i enjoy the subject, but i'm terrible at math. she said "you do realize you need a 3.0 to be a teacher and that's very hard to do." i said "well i'm not an idiot, i know i can easily get a 3.0 even with bad math skills." she continued to tell me that she wanted to go to school to be a vet and an instructor taled her out of it because the GPA was hard to achieve and plus, as a biology teacher, there's no way i could get into a swamp to gather water samples for my class.

who the hell does that!? i never studied scummy water under a microscope and everything that we did inspect was bought. people do this stuff for you!

so she kept trying to get me to go for business because i'd only qualify for a desk job and even that would be hard for me. you guys know me, i don't say no to challenges and this lady was really pissing me off. i said to her if i wanted to go for business, i would, but i didn't want to. she was taking her failure in college and applying it to me by telling me what i can't do. i tried to apply for an fes bike through voc rehab and she was telling me it'll be hard for me to use the bike, which i used for 3 months in a trial. i told her she was wrong and i knew exactly what and how to do it and by myself. she still gave me trouble about it. what a pessimist! well i got so mad i started crying. this lady always pissed me off to that point because she was holding MY cards and telling me no to everything when she doesn't know her ass from a hole in the ground about me, my condition, or what i can or can't do. apparently all i'm able to do is sit, eat, breathe, and mess myself. i ripped her a new one when i tried to explain to her that she and i don't agree on my abilities and never have and she insisted that we did and i don't know what i'm talking about.

i snapped and was crying at the same time. i sent the papers for the fes bike the same day i told her i wanted off the voc rehab because she's a pessimistic bitch and i'll be damned i take her shit. 2 days later she called all facinated by the research papers for the fes bike and wanted me to reconsider dropping their "services". i quote services because all she served me was a big heaping sack of "you can't" accompanied by puppy dog eyes. i said no, i want off because i'm not dealing with you, you are the reason i'm not doing this and i never want to talk with you again. she tried to say that she could work hard to get me the bike but no promises, but by then i was so pissed off with the whole thing i didn't care.

i wanted a different representative but i couldn't because she was what i was given and she represents my county unfortunately. they never did anything but try to drag me down.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    i
    who the hell does that!? i never studied scummy water under a microscope and everything that we did inspect was bought. people do this stuff for you!
    My biology class in college did that, but I sat on the sidelines & just watched while they were getting samples.

In regards to this thread..no experience with voc rehab
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Blog Entries
    My voc rehab experience has been wonderful. My counselor goes out of her way for me, and they’ve helped me with everything from workstation alterations to driving lessons to van modification to wheelchair clinic.

I'm glad to hear good stories. Up until now I had only heard bad. Mine has been less than perfect.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

VoRehab

I could write a BOOK on the councelor my son had after his injury. In fact we sent a 5 page letter to the State about how pathetic she was. My opinion on what a good councelor should be is one that explains all services that may be available and guides you through the process. This worthless puke of a councelor was a ROADBLOCK. We knew other states paid for vehicle modifications, but the pamphlet she gave my son was so broad, it was unclear whether our state did or not. It turns out they do. It took 2 years to get his truck modified. His councelor's solution was to take the bus. What bus? The one two miles from our house, pushing in high temperature plus high humidity. Obviously, she knew nothing about spinal cord injuries - but then that would have taken effort and concern about her "clients". At the time my son was dealing with her, she worked with the mentally and physically disabled. My son was her only "client" without a mental disability - which explains how easy it was to BS these people and do nothing. She is now working with the deaf and blind.
    God help these people, because she WILL NOT !!!

sounds like we have the same lady.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

My Voc. Rehab experience was super! The people were great to deal with. Thet paid for all the mods for my pickup and a standup wheelchair. And then asked "anything else"? I know Michigan sometimes gets a bad rap in this country but they were absolutely outstanding!