Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 days into C6 injury

6 days into C6 injury

hello,

My name is Michelle and I am here on behalf of my brother who is in the hospital with a C6 injury/break. This happen at 1 am on 2-29-09. My brother is almost 31 yrs old. He wrecked his truck and had to be flown to the hospital in Richmond Va. He is at MCV.

He had a collapsed lung, neck break, and a de-gloving of the skin on his hand with a broken wrist. He had arm movements but no finger movements. He has been heavely sadetaed since he got there. He has been on a ventalator since getting to the hospital.

They gave him steroids asap and he had a ct and mri done. His vertebra was said to be 80% out of alignment. They had him in a halo and traction for two days. He was in a special bed that moved side to side. He has compression boots or sleves on his legs.

I was very upset that they didnt operate sooner than they did but he was in surgery this Tuesday. They said it didnt really matter if they did the surgery sooner than later as it wouldnt make any difference. Surgery was long but no compliacations. He is still sadated and on the ventalator. They are looking to have him wake up more in the next few days and maybe remove the ventalator once he wakes up more.

Any help or suggestions or comments are welcome.

Michelle, sorry to hear. This is the best site for info pertaining to SCI. All i can say it that it's a long process recovering. No injury is the same; I've witnessed some amazing recoveries.
    Last edited by Rustyjames; 03-06-2009 at 11:20 AM.

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. But I will second that this is the best site to get help. I'm pretty new to all this (my Dad's accident was 11/17/08) but this site and the people who post here have been invaluable to me. The best thing you can do for your brother now is to be his #1 advocate. Ask lots of questions and do your research. And make sure they turn your brother every 2-3 hours to prevent pressure wounds. My dad got one of those and it has seriously set back his rehab. Good luck!

Michelle,
    What an awful thing to have to deal with all of a sudden.
    It's really tough, more so at the early stages.

For starters, be sure and read the guide listed in this thread:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=100881
    As well as this article:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...3@AcuteSCI.htm

Your brother is fortunate that you're taking a proactive interest and will need all of the help he can get from his family and friends.

As you learn more you'll learn about the myriad number of complications that may arise.
    While you should be aware of them don't let the possibilities get you down. Rather just deal or help your brother deal with them as they arise.

Best of luck and stay strong.

jeff
    Doh!

Good of you to be here for your brother, Michelle. It's a tough road, one of the toughest there is, so please stick with him. Good links already posted. If he is a military veteran, the Veterans Administration should be contacted as soon as possible. Keep in touch here.

Michelle, I'm sorry you had to find us, but glad you did. Where does your brother live and what hospital is he in?

It's important to get him to a facility that's CARF accredited and knows how to deal with spinal cord injuries. Getting proper rehab and learning what needs to be done from the start is very important for his continued health and eventual independence.

Everything is overwhelming at this point, but you're at a great place for questions and those that have been in your situation. Please keep us posted and ask anything you want to know.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23464 View Post
    hello,

My name is Michelle and I am here on behalf of my brother who is in the hospital with a C6 injury/break. This happen at 1 am on 2-29-09. My brother is almost 31 yrs old. He wrecked his truck and had to be flown to the hospital in Richmond Va. He is at MCV.

He had a collapsed lung, neck break, and a de-gloving of the skin on his hand with a broken wrist. He had arm movements but no finger movements. He has been heavely sadetaed since he got there. He has been on a ventalator since getting to the hospital.

They gave him steroids asap and he had a ct and mri done. His vertebra was said to be 80% out of alignment. They had him in a halo and traction for two days. He was in a special bed that moved side to side. He has compression boots or sleves on his legs.

I was very upset that they didnt operate sooner than they did but he was in surgery this Tuesday. They said it didnt really matter if they did the surgery sooner than later as it wouldnt make any difference. Surgery was long but no compliacations. He is still sadated and on the ventalator. They are looking to have him wake up more in the next few days and maybe remove the ventalator once he wakes up more.

Any help or suggestions or comments are welcome.
    Michelle,

MCV is a very good place for taking care of acute spinal cord injury. They are really good. Your brother is on a ventilator because he has a punctured lung. They will very likely wean him off the ventilator. Given his multiple trauma, surgery on the spinal cord is usually delayed. I am glad that he got the steroids. His prognosis depends a lot on his neurological examination when he wakes up.

Wise.

Well it seems he had a cold when he was admitted. They are trying to clear his lungs before they take him off the breathing machine. He seems to have alot of fluid in them. He has been taken off 2 of the pain drugs he was on but he is still sedated. They do not want to wake him until his lungs are clear so that they can see if he can come off the machine.

They are saying he will go back into surgery on Tuesday for his hand which they will be taking fatty tissue and skin from his arm to repair his hand.

He now has a UTI they think as his pee is a bit cloudy. They have sent it off to be tested. If he has a UTI they said they would give him an antibiotic.

No pressure sores as of yet.

Is it normal to be sedated for so long after surgery?

Blog Entries
    With multiple injuries there really is no normal. Keep asking questions of the doctors and here. The bed you describe ought to help prevent sores. Other than that, I will refrain from advice. My initial treatment was so long ago most of what I went through belongs in history books. I will keep you and your brother in my prayers.

Michelle I'm sorry to hear of your brother's sci.
    He's very lucky to have you. Also nice you found CC.
    Dr. Wise above can give you great info.
    All the members here are eager to help too.
    I'm glad he got steroids. I'll be praying for him.