Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: The ethics of octuplets

  1. #11
    Wise, did you hear about the TV interview where she was arguing with her mother? She was going on about how she didn't have any choice because these embryos were frozen and if she didn't have the kids, that means human lives would be destroyed because they'd be thrown away. So what did she plan on doing, giving birth to dozens of babies because "she didn't have a choice"?

    I feel bad for the kids, they're the innocent victims here. And I hope the doctor faces some enough consequences that he never pulls something like this again.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by David Berg View Post
    Wise, did you hear about the TV interview where she was arguing with her mother? She was going on about how she didn't have any choice because these embryos were frozen and if she didn't have the kids, that means human lives would be destroyed because they'd be thrown away. So what did she plan on doing, giving birth to dozens of babies because "she didn't have a choice"?

    I feel bad for the kids, they're the innocent victims here. And I hope the doctor faces some enough consequences that he never pulls something like this again.
    David,

    Common sense tells us that a mother should not have more kids that she can take care of. Society has a right and obligation to stop a mother from having so many kids. The question is how and where one draws the line. If she endangers the life of her children by having so many, can she be prevented from having children?

    The state can limit the number of kids that they will pay for. They can also limit the number of in vitro fertilization kids that they will pay for, especially if they paid for the in vitro fertilization procedure. By the way, I did not know that Medicaid will pay for in vitro fertilization.

    Wise.

  3. #13
    I want to know in what states Medicaid will pay for in vitro. If so then why not pay for ferticare. Why not pay for hearing aids? Why not pay for shower chairs? Why not pay for - oh I give up.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.


    Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    I want to know in what states Medicaid will pay for in vitro. If so then why not pay for ferticare. Why not pay for hearing aids? Why not pay for shower chairs? Why not pay for - oh I give up.
    addisue, very good point. This is taking from other people. Wise.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    David,

    Common sense tells us that a mother should not have more kids that she can take care of. Society has a right and obligation to stop a mother from having so many kids. The question is how and where one draws the line. If she endangers the life of her children by having so many, can she be prevented from having children?
    I agree. I don't claim to know exactly where we should draw the line. thankfully, most of the time that's not a factor. This case, however, clearly crossed pretty much anyone's line.

    The state can limit the number of kids that they will pay for. They can also limit the number of in vitro fertilization kids that they will pay for, especially if they paid for the in vitro fertilization procedure. By the way, I did not know that Medicaid will pay for in vitro fertilization.
    I hadn't known that, either. It seems to me that with the number of kids who need adoptive homes, the states would be better off paying adoption expenses than for in vitro.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    ... By the way, I did not know that Medicaid will pay for in vitro fertilization. Wise.
    Which States pay for in vitro?

    I'm pretty sure that in vitro is not generally covered by most (if not all) states, with some states having specific exclusions prohibiting such coverage. At the very least, it is not a part of the federally mandated basic coverage.

    However, reproductive services and family planning, are covered, and may vary by state. Some states may cover (in)fertility treatments, such as fertility drugs. This may be what people are referring to? There's debate and controversy regarding even this, and some states have discontinued this form of assistance (fertility drugs).

    I am not sure of what the specific policy is regarding Medicaid covering in vitro, but I have never seen it being stated as part of any benefit, federally mandated or by state. There may be certain stipulation or provision, depending (or not) on individual circumstances, and possibly individual states and medicaid/hmo plans, but I'd be surprised if it was broadly covered.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    David,

    Common sense tells us that a mother should not have more kids that she can take care of.
    Wise.
    A woman should not have more kids than she can take care of physically or financially?
    Last edited by antiquity; 03-12-2009 at 11:17 AM.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by antiquity View Post
    A woman should not have more kids than she can take care of physically or financially?
    Of course not. Where are you confused? It is simple common sense that a woman shouldn't. It's jeopardizing the lives of children, innocent children who don't have a choice in any of this, that have been brought to the world by a woman who has no means to support them...physically, financially, what about the nurturing a child needs from his or her mother. The woman has fourteen children. I can't even hardly wrap my head around the audacity that woman has to justify why she did this.


  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie-Bug View Post
    Of course not. Where are you confused? It is simple common sense that a woman shouldn't.
    I was asking for clarification, hence the question mark at the end of the sentence.

  10. #20
    There is no way she can take care of 8 newborns needs plus help the other children. Who's going to help with homework, changing diapers and feeding, changing 14 children's cloths, baths, cooking, washing cloths etc.. Her elevator don't go to the top. Why would a woman with 6 kids need more? CPS needs to step in and keep a watch on her and see how she does it. 14 kids all under the age of what 8 yrs old. I don't believe in having more children than you have the time to give them the attention they need.
    I don't think she has friends to help and her mother ain't to happy about it.
    Guess, the home make over will build her a house.
    I think the DR should have to be responsible for supporting them all. Where's his ethic's?
    Maybe they implant more embryo's in an older woman in case she loses a few.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2002, 02:47 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2002, 03:14 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2001, 04:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •