Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The ethics of octuplets

A woman with no means of support, living in a less-than-wonderful house and getting food stamps should not have had any number of embryo's implanted as far as I am concerned since she already has six children. The need for more is either a psychological defect, a ridiculous ego, or some other form of disturbance. That her doctor played into this does not strike me as either smart or ethical.

I saw on the news tonight that they're not going to let them all go home. I don't know how CPS could allow any of them to go to the environment. None of them are going to get the attention they need even with 24-hour help. What a horrible thing to do, to allow her to have any more children after she already has 6, 3 of which are special need children.

Suleman Octuplets to Remain in Hospital

LOS ANGELES — Social workers inspected the home of octuplets mother Nadya Suleman and decided her babies should remain hospitalized for several more days, Suleman said Thursday.

In an interview with Radar Online, Suleman said workers from Kaiser Permanente Medical Center went to her new home in La Habra, 20 miles east of Los Angeles, and said it was shaping up well to house all 14 of her children. But for reasons she did not disclose, Suleman said the hospital is not going to release the first two of her eight babies for several more days.

"I am not disappointed," she said. "I appreciate what they are doing."

Suleman told Radar that the social workers were disappointed that she was not at the La Habra home for the inspection, adding she didn't know she was supposed to be there.
    Last edited by rybread; 03-13-2009 at 04:57 AM.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Dr.Phil has become her advocate - http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/1243/ ..... there was no way she was going to be taking home all those children as things were. He has facilitated a whole army of people to help this woman.

All I can say about this crazy situation is that she didn't accomplish this on her own so there are many that share the blame here ..... most especially the doc who did the dirty deed ! My prayer now is for those precious babies to get the care and attention they deserve .... period! There is simply no going back and I do hope (enforcable) regulations are put in place so this can never happen again. Canada has very strict guidelines for implantation .... the decisions people make regarding invitro is not just about them .... its about these little ones too .... someone has to be looking out for them.

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

All I can say about this crazy situation is that she didn't accomplish this on her own so there are many that share the blame here ..... most especially the doc who did the dirty deed ! My prayer now is for those precious babies to get the care and attention they deserve .... period! There is simply no going back and I do hope (enforcable) regulations are put in place so this can never happen again. Canada has very strict guidelines for implantation .... the decisions people make regarding invitro is not just about them .... its about these little ones too .... someone has to be looking out for them.

Applaud, Applaud, Applaud!

Obie, I didn't know about the Dr. Phil advocacy. Truth is, I am not sure I am pleased by this of just think it another opportunity for a little attention seeking on his part.......

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Obie, I didn't know about the Dr. Phil advocacy. Truth is, I am not sure I am pleased by this of just think it another opportunity for a little attention seeking on his part.......

... I know what you mean Eileen ... that thought crossed my mind as well ...... it led me to think about the Britanny Spears situation he got involved in ..... I'm hoping because children are involved that it's not the case here ...... on second thought .. there were kids involved there too !!
    Hmmmm ... do you suppose we're getting jaded in our old age ..... !

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Quote Originally Posted by babyboo View Post

Applaud, Applaud, Applaud!
    i agree. we need medical guidelines not gov't laws. If we involve the government it opens up a whole can of worms. You simply make guidelines for the procedures and the can either agree or disagree. A patient cannot dictate what the Physician will or will not do. That woman had no right to tell the Dr. how many of those embryos should be transplanted. And there should have been informed consent that she must have the unnecessary ones culled. It is utterly ridiculous to have patients dictating medical treatment. When I broke my neck and needed to have my spinal cord relieved the pressure I did not get to dictate to use any techniques like cooling of the spinal cord or experimental drugs like cetherin.
    Han: "We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for"

COPYCAT maybe?

Has any1 stopped to think that this irresponsible woman is SIMPLY a copycat? I mean, she seems to be trying to copy what in her mind will make her stand apart from your everyday person. Its obvious she has no SPECIAL talent to be an Angelina Jolie or any other actress or celebrity. Recently, TOO MANY people with no special talent have become celebrities for their behavior instead of their talent like Paris Hilton and the Karashian family in Keeping Up with the Kardashians. God only knows what all she's done to herself to achive those Angelina Jolie want-to-be lips. Today I saw the TLC (The Learning Channel) cable show Jon & Kate Plus 8 on the tv guide and remembered this thread. I couldn't stop to ask myself if this woman wasn't simply thinking this was her ticket to fame. I do think Jon & Kate were just as irresponsible for bringing all those kids into this world. However, instead of them having to struggle with their 8 kids, all under the age of 8, they were rewarded with their own tv show among other things. Yes, unlike Suleman, at the time they had good jobs but now they don't work and are living alot better than before the birth of their sixtuplets. Did Jon and Kate ever get any heat for having so many kids at one time? I only remember the out pour of help from people all over the news. They gave them a special designed NEW SUV to transport their new family, cribs, baby cloths, ect... I still don't know why people are so interested in 99% of the reality shows of REGULAR everyday people with no special talent. Eitherway, i'd hate to think of what it takes to take care of all those kids day in and day out.
    AstrO

I saw on the news that she got a new house a very nice one. It didn't say where she got it.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison