Thread: Converter boxes

Converter boxes

Not really dealing with computers but who has purchased a digital converter boxes for their televisions? Which one did you get? Is an easy-to-use? Are you happy with it? I received my coupons and have a couple of TVs that will need it and was wondering who had purchased them and what kind of results you had with the ones you purchased.

Hi HeathQuad,

You only need a digital converter box for older, analog TVs that receive over-the-air transmissions. Is this your situation?

If you have a cable or satellite box hooked up to your TVs you don't need a digital converter box.

Years ago I had a 40 foot antenna installed so I could receive clear FM radio signals. With the Internet and broadband I no longer need it so I now keep it as a backup signal source for my TVs in the case of emergencies... like a hurricane knocking out the cable lines or screwing up my satellite dishes. Because of where I live I can't receive any TV at all without the 40 foot antenna and power booster. It sucks when there's no TV! Read a book? What?

To answer your question... I have no experience with the different brands and models of digital converter boxes. But HERE's a website, CNET Reviews, that may be of help. And the official government digital converter box website.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

All of my TVs except one are the older models. I will need the boxes in case of emergencies etc. Right now I have cable but our local TV stations are stating we may be able to get several free channels once the conversion is completed so I want to check that out and see what I can get. With it just me here most of the time and with Netflix I might be able to cut out the cable cost if there is anything worth watching after the conversion.

Heath,

I have one Zenith branded converter, and one Best Buy house brand, I forget what they call it And it's in the other room. They look EXACTLY the same other than the name on it.

Both were very easy to set up, and work great

Some of the weaker/fuzzy local stations come in perfectly clear on digital

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rononwheels View Post
    Heath,

I have one Zenith branded converter, and one Best Buy house brand, I forget what they call it And it's in the other room. They look EXACTLY the same other than the name on it.

Both were very easy to set up, and work great

Some of the weaker/fuzzy local stations come in perfectly clear on digital
    Zenith was one of the more recommended brands. Thanks.

Consumer Reports rated Tivax, Alpha Digital, Microgem & Channel Master best. Some friends were v pleased how many more clear channels than regular antenna, enuff so paying for basic cable is questionable.
    Robert

live free, drive fast

I got the Magnavox. I bought a Philips High Performance UHF HDTV antenna. And put it out on a pole. I can only get the PBS channels. It maybe because I'm way out in the country. I don't know.

Jerry, some stations broadcast on VHF, so if you have a UHF only antenna, that's all you'll get.

If you think it is a dual one, most are, you just may need to aim it a bit. You can go here: www.antennaweb.org and put in your address to get aiming instructions for where your broadcast antennas are.

I have analogs in my motorhome, so need one. Got two coupons so may a spare. I was thinking of the DTVPAL by Dish. Consumer Reports didn't give it best picture grade, but it is supposed to have one of the best Guides builtin. Not sure yet.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"