Thread: Baclofen - Impairs recovery of function.

Question Baclofen - Impairs recovery of function.

I have heard stories of this and I finally found a article that mentions it.

It is an interview with Dr. John McDonald of Restorative Therapy.

http://www.restorative-therapies.com...20McDonald.htm

Typically spasticity is treated with pharmacological agents. It turns out that those drugs that are being used to treat spasticity actually further impair recovery of function from studies that we have just completed in animals. We can use activity to better control spasticity and not have to use these medications that have a deleterious effect in terms of recovery of function.

You are suggesting an activity-based program would be preferable to taking baclofen to manage spasticity?

That is correct. In general all anti-spasmodic agents, such as Baclofen, are very ineffective drugs when used orally and we all realize that as physicians. It has a very limited benefit for a number of weeks and then the dose must be increased until most patients are on the maximum tolerable dose. Our recent work demonstrates that baclofen impairs recovery of function and it is simply an agent that should only be implemented when everything else has been tried.

This question is about MS.

Remyelination is a central issue in MS. Does the management of spasticity outweigh the possibility of remyelination and that is why baclofen is used?

No. Baclofen has largely been used because we never appreciated that it could possibly do any harm. Remember, no one thought that regeneration was possible and no one linked the two things together. It wasn’t thought that any harm could be done from baclofen because regeneration wasn’t thought of as doable; no one was expected to recover function.

I don't think his report has been published yet.

Can anyone else comment on this?

I referenced this article to my doctor when I was in rehab when he wanted to put me on baclofen. I'm glad I did not start to take it.

I have an internal Baclofen pump, and I have had it turned down the last year and a half. I have increased spastisity, but, with work, and excersise it does decrease the need for baclofen. I origanaly was so spastic that one leg was shorter than the other. It needed to be done in the beginning, just to get moving. I will definitly look to continue to decrease it, although I think I am at the end of the line for it, and hopefuly can trash the pump.

my legs are so bad that i have severe arthritis in my one hip from all the spasming. it's bone on bone and i was told that it would require a hip replacement in about 9 years. i'm on 100mg of baclofen and 6mg of valium. i hate taking it, but if i don't i have severe problems. my spasms will wake me up constantly throughout the night and i've had very close encounters with falling out of my chair. i've even had to save myself by smashing my head against a wall to keep from falling out. they make my life absolutely miserable and i can't function unless i take the meds.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm looking for more info on if the baclofen does stop the regeneration of nerves. Maybe Dr. Wise Young knows?

I'm on baclofen myself and have been for 10 years and I'm in the process of decreasing it.

Cool regeneration of nerves

Most sci's are aware after 2-3 years and maybe somewhat longer, regeneration of nerves dealing with sci recovery slow or stop completely. In acute cases I can see where these drugs may interfere, but I have had 3 pumps since 1995(injury was 91) and it has actually increased my functionality as a high functioning incomplete walking quad, eliminating the spasticity and thus allowing more activity.
    I am at a very high level 1050ug. Highest recommened human dosage is 1500ug. So in my dealings the pump has been a most effective treatment for severe spasticity without all the oral side efects.

note: even though most of us have a sci there are manny similarities and differences with drugs and treatments that effect us.

John
    Chicago

What I think they mean it is that the pump is OK. It is the oral dose goes throughout the body not just the spinal cord that is the issue. The issue has nothing to do with regeneration of nerves. What it does involve is making it more difficult to activate your muscles because that drug is a strong muscle relaxer. So if you're taking it to work out if you would probably have more strength if you never took it.
    Han: "We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for"

Odd, Pondered this when first started taking. Cant be All Bad, Considering that Spasticity is Exercise right? And after all, the body does try to repair itself? What if perhaps spasms are there for a reason?
    Shit something touched me!
    Build up muscle tension then starts....
    Ripping pain shoots threw my stomach muscles... till...
    <jiggle><jiggle><kick><kick> ~Spasms~!!! <SNAP!>
    hummm... This pain coupled with more broken toes aren't worth the what ifs.
    Shame soo many are too Stupid and Greedy to realize what truly matters in life.
    "Only when its too late, do people understand....." (Most anyway.....)
    ====================
    If you stare long enough,
    I may do a Trick....

Odd, Pondered this when first started taking. Cant be All Bad, Considering that Spasticity is Exercise right? And after all, the body does try to repair itself? What if perhaps spasms are there for a reason?
    Shit something touched me!
    Build up muscle tension then starts....
    Ripping pain shoots threw my stomach muscles... till...
    <jiggle><jiggle><kick><kick> ~Spasms~!!! <SNAP!>
    hummm... This pain coupled with more broken toes aren't worth the what ifs.
    Shame soo many are too Stupid and Greedy to realize what truly matters in life.
    "Only when its too late, do people understand....." (Most anyway.....)
    ====================
    If you stare long enough,
    I may do a Trick....