Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the fly laptop

On the fly laptop

As some of you may know, I'm facing eviction from the house I've rented and been living in for over 30 years. Not knowing at this point if I'll even wind up with better prospects than a place where the county puts the homeless, I'm thinking I should maybe consider getting an inexpensive laptop so I'd have some way to access the internet and keep in touch with the CCC.

I've used only PCs to date but would be open to all suggestions. I could spend up to $300 so I'm thinking I'll have to settle for used and have been looking at ebay for possibilities.

What do you think of this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-LATITUDE-D6...%3A1|294%3A200

The seller has five of them.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 03-03-2009 at 02:14 AM.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I'm writing this on a Latitude D610, and like it very much.
    My company gave me one, and I bought an identical one for my personal use. It's more solid than Dell's Inspiron, which is made more for the mass consumer market.
    - Richard

Right now walmart is selling the mini laptops for $298 brand new and they are wireless.
    You can check them out on their website - they are Acer brand and don't look too bad - the size makes them seem real portable.
    Last edited by cathi; 03-03-2009 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Added info
    Cathi - Wife of Edward (C6-7 complete) as of Sept. 2,2007

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf View Post
    I'm writing this on a Latitude D610, and like it very much.
    My company gave me one, and I bought an identical one for my personal use. It's more solid than Dell's Inspiron, which is made more for the mass consumer market.
    - Richard
    Thanks Richard.

Han: "We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for"

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin View Post
    As some of you may know, I'm facing eviction from the house I've rented and been living in for over 30 years. Not knowing at this point if I'll even wind up with better prospects than a place where the county puts the homeless, I'm thinking I should maybe consider getting an inexpensive laptop so I'd have some way to access the internet and keep in touch with the CCC.

I've used only PCs to date but would be open to all suggestions. I could spend up to $300 so I'm thinking I'll have to settle for used and have been looking at ebay for possibilities.

What do you think of this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-LATITUDE-D6...%3A1|294%3A200

The seller has five of them.
    Juke,

I am so sorry to hear about this and hope that you can stay.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Juke,

I am so sorry to hear about this and hope that you can stay.

Wise.
    Your sentiments are much appreciated, Wise, but staying is out of the question.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=115205

Even if the owner reversed herself I've realized I want to live in a city where I'll have nighttime access to public transportation so I can go to movie theaters.

I think once you get moved and settled in, it's going to be a good thing. I feel all will be fine dear, and I think you'll be glad you moved.

Quote Originally Posted by I Care View Post
    I think once you get moved and settled in, it's going to be a good thing. I feel all will be fine dear, and I think you'll be glad you moved.
    Yea, though we roll through the valley of the shadow of death I shall look for a silver lining. Thx for the message, I Care, and I'll definitely keep it in mind.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

That's a tough situation to be in - facing eviction. Wondering if you are seeking alternate housing. Since you've lived in your current digs for 30 yrs., many accessible apartments have been built, including senior apartment living, which have units with large bathrooms.
    Some of the senior places have rules that state you can get in if you have a disability - even if you don't meet the age 55 criteria. Suggest you consider visiting some of them and getting on any waiting lists. They may be able to prioritize your need due to looming eviction.
    You can check them out on your computer - lots of them have web sites.
    If you need help try visiting a local Center for Independent Living - they are located all over the state of California to provide resources for disabled.
    Good luck!