Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Shower Chair/Commode

Portable Shower Chair/Commode

Hi All,

I need a portable shower chair/commode to bring on trips. I found one I like at Sportaid, $655 with carry case/shipping- Quantum Bath Chair with Optional Commode Seat- http://www.sportaid.com/search_list....=sa&catID=1007 Is this really how much they go for?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

I've had TWO Quantum bath benches. I bought the first. An airline bought the second after breaking the original. The second one also broke. Even with proper padding, the plastic cracks fairly easily -- particularly when it gets cold. I finally bought a Nuprodx chair -- expensive but well worth it. Easy to assemble, stronger construction and much smaller than the Quantum.

Thanks Clipper

My Nuprodx chair is 7 1/2 years old and has been on many trips with very hard use. It is just starting to show it's age. I can purchase a new part but had decided to buy a new chair for the next 7 1/2 years of use. I agree they are very expensive but well worth it. You may have to buy several less expensive chairs over time that will add up to more than this one. They are also very easy to use.

I found the Quantum to be very durable and steady as a rock in the shower stall, however, it weighs a ton and is very hard to take apart from a chair, you really work up a sweat. Not a travel chair in my opinion. I have a Tubby II also which is lighter and easier to take apart but only works for tubs (no auxiliary legs like Quantum). For a motel with a roll-in I carry along an an adjustable backless bench which I adjust to correct height and place under the extended seat so that it can be used as a stable chair in a roll-in shower. I have thus far been too cheap to spring for the Nuprodix but from all I have read here and heard from users, it is the best way to go.

Thanks everyone, think i'm gonna go with the Nuprodix.

Thumbs up you get what u pay for...

I gave up on standard benches, and co-designed my custom bench (with removeable transfer section, and completely collapsable) at Activeaid.

***after my first steel tubby corroded away, i spoke with Jeff in design, and we came up with a new style, using stainless steel, 1996.

this frame has held true through 2008, and still has mileage left!

but:
    i wanted improved features, and after seeing the 2009 model from Activeaid, i went with Nuprodx: received the 3000tx last week, and it's a really mean machine! lite, compact, good people
    (actually, great people: TY Bruce!)
    i strongly recommend the shower legs, and i also upgraded to the 12" transfer bench.
    http://www.nuprodx.com/chair3000tx.htm

$comparison$: std bench $150-250 better bench: 250-500 best benches: 750-1100
    Last edited by br1tes1de; 03-03-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: add a link

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi All,

I need a portable shower chair/commode to bring on trips. I found one I like at Sportaid, $655 with carry case/shipping- Quantum Bath Chair with Optional Commode Seat- http://www.sportaid.com/search_list....=sa&catID=1007 Is this really how much they go for?

Any recommendations?

Thanks
    http://www.activeaid.com/products/model_450.asp We use model 450 which has a very soft seat cushion and removable arms. The wheels have been very useful moving from room to bathroom. The disassembled chair folds into thirds. This chair has been on 10 trips so far and is holding up well.

Quote Originally Posted by br1tes1de View Post
    I gave up on standard benches, and co-designed my custom bench (with removeable transfer section, and completely collapsable) at Activeaid.

***after my first steel tubby corroded away, i spoke with Jeff in design, and we came up with a new style, using stainless steel, 1996.

this frame has held true through 2008, and still has mileage left!

but:
    i wanted improved features, and after seeing the 2009 model from Activeaid, i went with Nuprodx: received the 3000tx last week, and it's a really mean machine! lite, compact, good people
    (actually, great people: TY Bruce!)
    i strongly recommend the shower legs, and i also upgraded to the 12" transfer bench.
    http://www.nuprodx.com/chair3000tx.htm

$comparison$: std bench $150-250 better bench: 250-500 best benches: 750-1100

I don't see the 12" transfer bench upgrade?

My Nuprodx chair is 7 1/2 years old and has been on many trips with very hard use. It is just starting to show it's age. I can purchase a new part but had decided to buy a new chair for the next 7 1/2 years of use. I agree they are very expensive but well worth it. You may have to buy several less expensive chairs over time that will add up to more than this one. They are also very easy to use.
    @DMM: Hey there - you're not thinking of selling your old one are you? If so, which part is it that needs to be replaced?

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***