Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help I'm a C5 complete Quad and 20 weeks pregnant

Help I'm a C5 complete Quad and 20 weeks pregnant

I’m a C5 complete Quadriplegic…and 20 weeks pregnant! I find it frustrating that the show ‘Paralyzed and pregnant’ is my only reference point towards being paralyzed and pregnant…I didn’t find it very helpful, informative or inspiring! Does anyone know of any good resources for peer mentors (with high level injuries) or adaptive equipment (with pictures) for moms like me? I know there are some good ideas out there…please share!
    Thanks!

Welcome to our forums! You will find a lot of mom's on these forums. You may want to request membership in our private "Women Only" forum (send a PM to Steven Edwards to join). Hopefully some of the mom's who have been there and are members here will respond. It might be helpful for you to post specific questions.

Was this a planned pregnancy? Do you have a OB who is experienced in SCI, or is your OB working together with your SCI physician? Do you get AD easily?

I can definitely recommend a couple of books:

The Disabled Woman's Guide to Pregnancy & Birth

Mother-to-be: A guide to pregnancy & birth for women with disabilities

You might want to do a search here for all forums using the word "pregnancy" or "pregnant" to see what you can find. You might want to look for some of the posts by Emi2 who has had two children since she joined our forums.

For parenting (vs. pregnancy) issues and resources, try these:

http://www.disabledparents.net/

http://lookingglass.org

http://www.disabledparentsnetwork.org.uk

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 03-01-2009 at 08:57 PM.

While I wish I could help you, congratulations! You've taken on quite a responsibility for your level of injury but I'm sure you're good for it. Please fill out the rest of your profile so we all know how long you've been hurt and all that stuff. I'm very curious myself. Oh yeah, and happy birthday!
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Congratulations. I have three children, but I am a low, incomplete para. But it is other pregnant girls here now, and like KLD says, read Emi's post about being pregnant.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I'm a C7/8 quad. Had two kids post-injury. My oldest is 5 and a half and my youngest is 13 months.
    I've posted tons on here about pregnancy and parenting with a SCI as have a few other moms. You might try to get in contact with Alissa as she is the same/similar level to you. I have some hand function but it's totally doable without too. I've always said my kids are the best occupational and physical therapy I've had.
    Anyhow, it's scary at times but having kids has been the most rewarding (and challenging) experience I've had, pre or post injury.
    Feel free to PM me, post here, whatever... I always enjoy helping other quad women experince the joys of motherhood. <-- caught me on a good day! lol
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

I'm T12 and had my two girls after my SCI. They're 4 and 1. I have the two books mentioned by KLD above and would be happy to mail them to you. Let me know if you're interested!

Welcome to CC. Happy to have you here.
    Congratulations on your pregnancy! Awesome!
    Post often. Would love to hear about you and your baby.

Hi,
    I'm a c5/6 quad (18 yr. post) and have a 2-1/2 year old daughter. I have posted quite a bit about having a baby, so you can search here, or ask any specific questions you may have. My pregnancy went well aside from UTIs and a bout of pneumonia at 6 months. I had to increase my fluid intake to maybe 100 oz. a day, increase my pee schedule to almost every hour (I have a mitrofanoff, so this wasn't a big deal) and I had to increase my bp from 3 to 4x per week.
    I let my doc talk me into an induction at 39 weeks - big mistake - it took 3-1/2 days before the baby was ready. I had an epidural the whole time and for a day after. Eventually, the baby delivered herself and was found under the blankets with her head completely out.
    Breastfeeding was difficult for the 1st 2 weeks, but we finally got it and we're still nursing once a day 2=1/2 years later.
    Baby raising is rough, especially with little hand function. I required constant help until we could work together to change dapers. My daughter is very independent and has really proven how adaptable babies can be. She could climb onto my lap b4 she could walk. I have always treated her with respect & reason and she mostly responds in kind. The most important part of our relationship and my parenting abilities is communication and co-operation. Remember, it is never too early to start. Your child WILL live up or down to your expectations.

please ask anything.
    peace & good luck
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

CONGRATS !!! I hope your pregnancy progresses well!! I would be very interested in knowing how things go. My 21 y/o daughter is 11 months post injury and has gotten married since the accident she has a c-5 complete. I am happy that she still talks about having children some day and knowing of somone else who went through it can be helpful. Please keep us all posted

hi!! i am so happy to have come across this post. you took all the words out of my mouth. i too am 'paralyzed and pregnant' and cant seem to find much info.

im 24 yro and have been paralyzed since may '07. i rolled my suv on the highway and was thrown from the car. i've gone threw soo many struggles since my accident and somehow i keep comming out on top. ive accomplished alot but i want more and wont settle for less. im a single mother of an amazing 5yro and im expecting another bundle of joy this november.

i feel like im the only one in this situation and find it comforting to know im really not. i'm determined to reach out and find all the support and info i can to help others and myself