Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about sitting in a wheelchair?

Question Questions about sitting in a wheelchair?

I'm trying as hard as I can not to get any more pressure problems sitting in my wheelchair. I was wondering,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I know what reports say but I want to know what y'all say.

Those in tilt/recline chairs. How often do you tilt/recline?
    How long do you stay there?
    Do you tilt/recline up? Then recline/tilt down?
    That's what my dme said to do.

Do you lay back for long periods to rest/sleep?
    He told me not to do it because the pressure isn't right when back.

Also do you make sure you're positioned right in the middle of your cushion? Even if you have to try getting in the wc several times.
    I use a hoyer lift and a roho cushion.
    If I'm more to one side than the other I lean all day.
    Drives me crazy having to hold on with one hand all day.

I also like to lean forward which is hard to accomplish.
    Most of the time I feel like I'm leaning back.
    Stretching to reach things. My keyboard, food, etc.
    Any tips on how to get in the chair leaning forward a little.

Do any of y'all belt yourself in the chair? Where?
    I don't like the way it looks but I have trouble with my arm going numb wrapping it around the chair holding on around the back.
    So I wear the belt across my chest like the belt in a car seat would be.
    Any ideas on how to wear it where it won't show? lol

Lots of questions.
    If you have any tips on one or all & don't mind sharing I'd appreciate the help.

Hi Mona,
    I tilt quite often, which means tilting back and then maybe ten minutes later tilting forward again. The only time I come to full upright is when I am at the keyboard or eating, because even a little tilt makes me feel a lot more secure, balance-wise. At night when watching tv I tilt pretty far back. My headrest is too far back for my head really, so I have a flat stuffed animal that I use as a pillow. I know it is adjustable, but I don't have anyone to do that for me so my little flat animal works just as well. I don't use a belt except outside where the road may have some surprises for me. The cushion on my tilt chair is a Jay deep contour and I have no idea how they did this, but it is firmly attached to the pan seat underneath, so it never moves.

Mona,
    My brother, Jim, is also c5 and uses his tilt about once an hour for about 5-10 minutes during the day while he is using the computer or reading. He doesn't have recline, just tilt. We had heard that there is controversy about recline, some say it causes shearing, so he didn't get that feature. He always uses the seatbelt, but it is unobtrusive under his sweater. If you are talking about a chest strap, no he never uses it now after the first few months. He worked on being able to raise his chest up from his lap or from the side in case he was alone and no one was around to help. When he did use the chest strap I would put a vest on over the chest strap to disguise it. He is up for about 12 hours/day and sits on a Jay2 deep contour. Years ago I used a Hoyer lift and always rolled the leg part near to his thighs, both to hide the lifter and to keep his legs together, the back of the lifter was tucked behind him in the chair-and it was the net kind of lifter used with the hole part at top instead of bottom. Since healing the bedsore he got during his acute hospital stay 9 years ago he has never had another sore. Like Eileen he feels more secure slightly tilted. I am pretty manic about getting him positioned for the day, no wrinkles, etc then he's good to go. Deb

It's important to be comfortable and properly seated in your wc.
    Feet,legs,thighs,butt,lower back, upper back,head rest and arm rest, did i miss any thing?
    In my opinion (IMO) the seating clinic's need to be more involve with wc users.
    The seating clinic's services needs to be extented to wc users beyond us leaving rehab.
    they get paid
    I'm piss because they measure u for a wc and send u home and that is it No check ups to verify your
    comfort level or needs and adjustments to that wc. Sure call them and u will need to a make a appt.
    Oyeah bring your pwr wc. How? I don't have a vehicle to transport a pwr wc.
    I'm sorry Mona, I had to get that off my chest, I feel your pain and I understand your concerns.
    For me I adjust my foot rest higher to raise my legs off my seat.
    I remove my head rest b\c it sticks out so far hitting things and it's uncomfortable.
    Plus i don't use it.
    And i adjust my back rest shell to a 75 degree recline. I have it tilt very often for many reasons.
    My back rest is a jay standard with a opening at the bottom, this causes cuts and bruises on my lower
    back near my ass crack ... b\c I move my lower back and my ass around alot when i
    workout,transfer,dance and exercise basically that part always hit that opening.
    So i'm shopping for a back rest or maybe a whole freaking seat like a office chair type or something.
    I know We all will be customizing things for our sci until we die.

Our wheelchairs are so important we spend countless hours on them i can't explain i'm just overwhelm
    with the lack of personal hands on wheelchair support.
    Good Luck Mona
    Without "CC members" things would really be tougher.
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Hi Mona,
    I tilt quite often, which means tilting back and then maybe ten minutes later tilting forward again. The only time I come to full upright is when I am at the keyboard or eating, because even a little tilt makes me feel a lot more secure, balance-wise. At night when watching tv I tilt pretty far back. My headrest is too far back for my head really, so I have a flat stuffed animal that I use as a pillow. I know it is adjustable, but I don't have anyone to do that for me so my little flat animal works just as well. I don't use a belt except outside where the road may have some surprises for me. The cushion on my tilt chair is a Jay deep contour and I have no idea how they did this, but it is firmly attached to the pan seat underneath, so it never moves.
    Thanks Eileen. You like to tilt back. I like forward but my bp keeps me from doing it all the time. As far as the stuffed animal hey whatever works! lol
    How long have you used a jay deep contour? Any pressore sores from it?
    Ever use a roho? I just got a new roho and it keeps me comfortable. But I'm always wobbling. Were you mapped? Sorry so many questions. Just trying to figure things out. Do you use the hoyer lift?

Deb how nice of you to take care of your older brother. I do the same with my sling. I sit on it all day. Does he still use a hoyer lift? Do y'all like the jay cushion? Thanks for answering.

Thanks coolbreeze. You're so right. We have to be comfortable. We spend 80% of our life in them. So you like the jay cushion?

Mona, I have used the Jay Deep Contour for about three years now. It was ordered as part of my seating system for my wheelchair which was also new three years ago. It has been the best cushion for me because it gives me a sense of stability and also I have had no pressure problems. I used a Roho for years, and while it does a great job of pressure relief I had an enormous amount of trouble transferring on or off of it, as the air just rushed from one cell to another. I was mapped for the Jay Deep Contour at a wheelchair seating clinic the same time they were ordering my chair (Spaulding Hospital, Boston) and they did a good job. The other reason I don't use the Roho, which has nothing to do with how wonderful they are, is two kitties who like to sharpen their claws on, well, everything in sight!

Mona, forgot to answer about the Hoyer......no, I use a transfer board, no lift.

Cool Eileen. So you're comfortable sitting on the jay?
    How do you transfer yourself?
    I've caught pieces of things you can do by yourself and I wonder how?
    I'm glad you can. Just wish I could.
    Do you have a pca? Sorry if I'm too nosey. Just tell me.
    Yeah have to hide my cushion from my cat every night. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
    Cool Eileen. So you're comfortable sitting on the jay?
    How do you transfer yourself?
    I've caught pieces of things you can do by yourself and I wonder how?
    I'm glad you can. Just wish I could.
    Do you have a pca? Sorry if I'm too nosey. Just tell me.
    Yeah have to hide my cushion from my cat every night. lol
    Hi Mona,
    I use a transfer board made by a company called ADI (accessible designs, inc.). One side is a much polished maple and the backside has some anti-slip black material that they covered one end of the board with. It works pretty good in terms of not slipping. It also has two horizontal hand holds to make it easier to pull into place. My bed is on blocks to make it the identical height of my w/c with the cushion, so it is a level transfer. No PCA, but a friend comes every weekend and helps me out with a lot of stuff that gets put off till the weekend. You can ask me anything, it's OK, really. I will try to find the link for my transfer board.

Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,

Okay do your hands & fingers work?
    How do you dress yourself, take the arm off & on the wc.?
    Cook, etc.?