Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated! Need hill holders.

November - congrats on conquering the ramp, multiple times. Sure seems to be a quandary as to what may be diff on 2 vans.

Gurly - those are a cool idea, they did a good job on install, look factory. Somebody else musta driven your van, surely you don't drive with seatback at that angle. Is that a chair lockdown setup on the other side?
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

i know u said they told u it was the same convo as the buick, but u may want to check into it. there are 2 companies that convert the terraza/uplander/montana platform -- El Dorado & Braun. i chose the Braun conversion b/c the floor inside is about an inch lower, & 1.5-2 inches lower in the driving position up front (the El Dorado sorta slopes upward as it goes toward the front). and of course a lower floor is gonna make the angle easier. also, of course, they want to make the sale instead of having u return it, so when u asked, they're gonna say everything's the same.

chick's post makes perfect sense as to why/how the operation should work, but it all depends on the company. my van kneels when the door opens & ramp deploys, then unkneels when it closes. everytime. if i turn the kneel function off w/ the switch on the dashboard, that's the only way it doesn't kneel/unkneel as the door slides. but there is no switch to make the van kneel/unkneel independently of the door & ramp on my van, or on other Braun convo vans i've seen.

El Dorado may have the ignition involved in the unkneel process, but my Braun convo's kneel has nothing to do w/ the ignition. the kneel/unkneel happens as the door is sliding, and is easily audible & visible.

ultimately, u'll prbly build the extra strength to make it up the ramp anyway, but just thought u could use the extra info...
    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    Gurly - those are a cool idea, they did a good job on install, look factory. Somebody else musta driven your van, surely you don't drive with seatback at that angle. Is that a chair lockdown setup on the other side?
    The seat isn't as bad as it looks. I think it just looks back really far because of where its at..its one of those swivel seats. I do let other people drive sometimes though if just going someplace quick instead of transferring n' stuff. My insurance company paid for the van & they have contract that no one else is allowed to drive it unless I am in the vehicle.

Yes that is a lockdown system for when I am driving to keep my chair from going all over the place. I posted it already in another thread..
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...8&postcount=90
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

hey nov, i need to check what kneeling conversion i have on mine, but i've noticed even the SLIGHTEST incline makes it harder for me to get up the ramp by myself. Even just a little dip in pavement causes it to be a sharper angle. i just need to build strength i guess.

how do hillholders work?
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Scott that is really interesting, Braun vs El Dorado. Well the dealer works with El Dorado so both vans came from there. Where did you get that info about the height differences?

I'm really torn on what to do. I know finding a different Uplander and all the paperwork with VR will take forever to re-do, but I don't want to be stuck with something that I totally struggle and wear myself out using. Then I won't even want to use it and it will sit parked. This dealer is 6 hrs away. Any dealer I go through is going to be out of the way.

My shoulders and back are sore today. I'm out of shape. Hope that I get used to it. Do you guys think I should try to call around and find out about the Braun Conversion?

Yeah Ashley can you let me know asap. Everyone is waiting on me and I don't really have much time. If I won't sign for it, they want it back. The hill holders just press on your tire I think so you can't roll backwards.
    Last edited by november; 03-04-2009 at 06:20 PM.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Scott that is really interesting, Braun vs El Dorado. Well the dealer works with El Dorado so both vans came from there. Where did you get that info about the height differences?
    my info isn't exactly official. i was told the El Dorado is an 11" floor drop vs a 12" drop in the Braun. the slope in the driver's area is based on my head. whereas when i roll fwd in the Braun, my head doesn't touch the ceiling, in the El Dorado my hair rubs against it. my hair isn't calibrated, so uh, u know, it's not exactly official.

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    My shoulders and back are sore today. I'm out of shape. Hope that I get used to it. Do you guys think I should try to call around and find out about the Braun Conversion?
    u'd prbly get stronger & be able to do it. but, u never know. i chose the Braun b/c of the slope i noticed in the driving pos'n, since i drive from my chair -- i need the headroom. also, i thought the Braun was a higher quality product than El Dorado.
    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

I would keep looking. You should not get something you aren't comfortable with. The time spent getting it right, will pale in comparison to the years you will(will not) be driving this. For that ramp to give even AB's trouble, that ain't right.

Are you stuck on GM? They aren't even making them anymore.

I looked at a pic of a "stock" Uplander, and compared to the ones on the Amerivan site.

http://autos.yahoo.com/2008_chevrole...wheelbase_1lt/
    http://www.amerivans.com/amerivanGM.cfm#tab2

Looking at the wheel wells, it appears that they raise the vehicle quite a bit. Even taking into account that they lower the floor, this seems like it would make a tougher ramp angle.

The Braun(mines a Chrysler) conversions use the original spring suspension. they have the heavy duty rear springs, which give it a "jacked up" look in the back, but not in the front. Here's mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ffTx/van/2.jpg

I saw this little tool at Home Depot today for like eight dollars and change, and almost bought it. I might go back tomorrow and get it. This measures ramp(anything) angle:

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Level-...6215304&sr=8-1

It would be interesting to know what the angles really are.

I can get up my ramp(juuuust barely) even if I have kneel switched off. There is no reason you should have a vehicle that you are not fully comfortable with.

Just my opinion of course...
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

On Braun's website the GM's actually have the easiest incline at 7.3 degrees compared to Chrystler and Toyota. http://www.braunability.com/which-minivan.cfm
    I'll call Braun and ElDorado in the morning to verify ramp angles. Wouldn't in floor ramps be even less, but not according to Braun's chart. So a bigger angle degree is a steeper incline, am I correct? A 7 degree would be easier than a 9?

I also got in contact with a para that owns a modified van dealership. He sells all makes and told me GM has the smallest ramp angle.

Scott the ElDorado conversion is dropped 12" too.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Mine is a dodge caravan with VMI conversion. Have you checked into that??
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Well here is the thing, I technically own the mv now. I already took out the loan and handed that check over. I have insurance on it and already made my first loan payment too. The only thing that isn't complete is VR and me signing the paperwork so that VR can give them the check for the mods. VR is paying for all the mods.

If I can't make this work (and it may very well be that I'm not use to physically going up a ramp like this daily yet and it does have the same incline as these other makes Dodge, Toyota, etc) then we will somehow have to get that loan check back and my down payment and the remote control start cost which I came up with myself, cancel the insurance and get any of that money back that I can and start from square one again. As many people know, with VR, this maybe a very long process because it already was. You have to do tons of paperwork on the exact vehicle and costs and then wait for approval. I'm not sure what happens with the loan, I give the check back to the bank and reapply for it later again. This is kinda a mess so hopefully it can be worked out. Like I said I'll call around and see what other ramps range in degrees.

Did I just freak out the day I received it because everything wasn't perfect and I didn't get up the ramp like a pro? I've seen others freak out at first about vehicles and new wcs until they made it work.