Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated! Need hill holders.

Frustrated! Need hill holders.

I took into possession my new Chevy Uplander today, but for some reason I can't get up the ramp now even with the kneel function. I tried the exact same setup, a Buick Terezza with the same conversion and kneel put into it and had no trouble at all. I don't understand it. I get half way up the ramp and have to stop a second and lean forward and get another push in, but when I do I start rolling backwards or tip back some and can't get the rest of the way up. I did this same thing before and had no problem stopping and getting to the top.

I'm guessing I can fix this with hill holder brakes? What exactly are these, are they heavy, and where can I find them? I'm thinking of getting some express shipped if they aren't too pricey instead of waiting on insurance to get me some. I have this vehicle sitting in the parking lot that I can and did drive I just needed a bit of help up the ramp. WTFFFFF.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

I have some hill holders somewhere if you want them. I haven't seen them since I moved but I have a good idea where they are. They aren't heavy. they kind of attach on to your brakes. I used to have a picture I'll look.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

You aren't park on an incline are ya? Even a little bit of a downslope towards the ramp side will make a big difference.

Whenever you park, make sure you're level, or park so that the ramp side is uphill.

e.t.a. Congrats! I know you've been working on this awhile. I'm sure you'll get it worked out.

e.t.a.2 You don't have a backpack on now, that you didn't then do ya? If I am worried about my slope at all, I sometimes take my backpack and put it in my teeth and hang it forward, giving me more forward bias.
    Last edited by McDuff; 02-28-2009 at 09:41 PM.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Let me know addiesue. Were they pretty handy getting up steep hills?
    Do you know the brand or where I could even look for them online?
    I've never even seen them.
    I don't know if I should laugh, worry, or cry just yet.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    You aren't park on an incline are ya? Even a little bit of a downslope towards the ramp side will make a big difference.

Whenever you park, make sure you're level, or park so that the ramp side is uphill.
    It's a level parking lot. It makes me wonder if it's kneeling completely. I have the function on.

They look like this...

I think once you get them and get practice, you'll eventually be able to ditch them. If addisue can't find hers, here's a link...

Grade Aids with Wheel Locks

I don't know the brand. I had a ramp built for me at my old house that I could not get up without them. I was fresh out of the hospital so I was still weak and not good at my "skills". I found a few links by googling but none with good pictures. Sometimes they call them grade aids. Do you think it is something you will adjust to or is it just too steep? I ask because after a few months I could get up the ramp without the hill holders unless I had to put something in my lap. Obviously you don't want to spend months getting into your vehicle but I was just curious. I'll be glad to send them on to you but I can't look for them until tomorow when I get home.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Kneeling is quite visible from outside if you are looking for it. You can also watch your headlights if at night. Inside, you can feel it go down. I don't think it can only go down "part way", I think it works or doesn't.

No backpack right? (from my previous e.t.a)
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Thanx Scorp, $180.00!

I really hope I adjust to it addiesue and may have to take you up on that offer of sending them.

Hmmm McDuff I don't know if I could really tell if it kneeled. I do know once the ramp went back up and the door closed, when I was inside, I did hear a noise for a long time and my dad and bf both figured it was the van going back up? No backpack or anything. That's why I can't understand why I'm having a hard time now.

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Hmmm McDuff I don't know if I could really tell if it kneeled. I do know once the ramp went back up and the door closed, when I was inside, I did hear a noise for a long time and my dad and bf both figured it was the van going back up?
    Have one of them (or anyone) watch from outside; they'll instantly be able to see if it's kneeling.