Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Door Openers

Automatic Door Openers

We want to install an automatic door opener on our kitchen door so that our eleven year old quad son can get in and out of the house by himself. Does anyone have good recommendations? Of course, we don't want to buy the most expensive model on the market, but we want a reliable one.

Thanks, Audrey

I've seen these before, but don't have any. What level is he? A much cheaper way is to tie a durable string with a loop at the end to put his hand through to the door handle and he can pull the door open and shut this way.Of course you will need more ascessible type door handles(not the round type) for him to push down on to open the door.Sorry, I'm not good at describing things and pulling adding attachments in my posts to show pictures. Hopefully someone else will chime in and explain better than me. However if he's a higher quad and can't move his arms,of course this wouldn't work.

Auto Door

I went on line to look at several automatic doors. Saysame for one. Cost is in the $700 range for those I looked at, pretty pricey for what you get. I was looking at a door with remote control to lock and unlock, open and close the door.

Would be a nice addition for your son.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Thread,
    I have a Stanley opener with the wired (not wireless) openers. It is more expensive but, reliability makes it worth it.
    I am a commercial General Contractor and have seen everthing over the last 30 years in the business. Stanley is the way to go.
    Good luck
    Semper fi

Your profile says your son's injury level is C6/7. Most at this level can learn to open most exterior doors without needing a power opener. What type of door knob does it have? Can you add a webbing loop or lever handle? Does it open in or out? Is there a level surface on both sides of the door?

We use a lot of Open Sesame products, but mostly for those with C5 and above injuries.

(KLD)

automatic door openers

I want him to be able to get in a locked outer door which opens outward, and to get out of the door from the inside. I do know that we can use a looped effect and a levered door knob, but think that the lock necessitates a different approach.
    Thank you for your reply.

Audrey

I'm still looking into getting one of these.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

im getting some of these installed in my new house

http://www.mbm-skive.dk/pdfs/I102B_Olly-Dok.pdf

I don't know the name of my door openers but for sure they are noisy, so my advice is to find something who is more silent than mine. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I don't have to pay them myself if you wonder why I need them. We get them automaticly even if we are only paras as long as we use a wheel chair. I have the light too on the same control I use and the door to the car port
    TH 12, 43 years post