Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home building ideas

Home building ideas

I'm paralized at T12 and building a new house. Wanting ideas on making it accessible..... any ideas would be helpful!!!
    Thanks

Ramps and hard flooring are my friends. Roll under sinks, roll in shower and an enclosed garage are big plusses too.

Avoid carpet and 36" doors are nice.

I just built a condo, 2yrs in june. I opted for a slab because i wouldnt go to basemnent anyway. All doors 36in, one piece roll in shower unit, my counters are 2in lower everywhere, w/ a nook on each end thats lap height for cutting or whatever, outlets a bit higher, all shutoffs[gas, water] w/in my reach, lowered fusebox in garage and of course attatched garage w/ ramp in to house. Oh an handicapped height toilet w/ wall mounted grab bars.

Our place is about 2800 sq ft all one floor except 650 sq is the loft. 3 bd 2 bath.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

This thread has some suggestions that was given to me when we started building http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=100650

Like fuentejps mentioned have all shut off valves where you can reach them. We built on a foundation this time so I will ramp off the back deck once the house is finished. We are grading up to the front door so there will be no steps to the front door. In the garage I bought an old van lift which we are going to attach to a porch for entry from that area. I went with pocket doors in three of the rooms and all doors are 36". Also make sure your outdoor water faucets are where you can reach them that was one thing we missed in the house we live in now. Going to have lowered counters in the kitchen with a cut out under the sink and stove top. We are just now having our cabinets built we won't be moving in for at least two more months. This project has been going on since July of last year ready for it to be completed.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

This picture was taken sunday the grading is not completed because the land has been a mud pit since November but it gives you and idea of how it will be graded from the concrete pad outside the garage to the front door. The reason we went for a lift in the garage over a ramp was the the ramp was going to take up 1/3 of the garage. I found a outdoor porch lift on craigslist that I started to buy for the back deck that we will have but decided a ramp would be better I hate how slow lifts can be when you can fly down the ramp. I would have liked to built on a slab again but everyone advised us to go for a foundation because of the soil in the area we are building on. Slabs are so easy to make accessible from outdoor but if you ever problems with your water pipes it can get expensive since they are under the slab. Well at least ours are at this house.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

I had one 36" door in my old house and I really hated it. It was huge and the sweep took up a large area plus I had to be very far back from it to swing it open. I'm not saying don't use them but check them out for each location.

I recently bought a newly build house and I've found it easy to use so far. Having the ramp inside the attached garage is so nice after having an outdoor one. I don't care to have roll under sinks now since we have a built in dish washer!!! I don't want to have a house without one of those again. Having a place to shower or bathe that is easy to use is a huge point. So make that what you like best.
    Andrew

Aliya, consider dropping both ends of your counter tops like i did to a little above lap height, about belly height. . Im so glad i did that. Makes cutting and setting up the coffee pot so much easier.....

I also left under the kitch and master bath sinks open.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Build Green

In the early Nineties I built a solar house that was on slab and therefore very accessible. It was earth sheltered on the north side by a berm that made the second floor accessible.

Van Quad, nice house there! I like it! Did you use a stair chair to move between floors inside? Or just go around outside? We bought a two story and it was NOT preferred but the stair chair has been no trouble. Sometimes I forget my phone on my downstairs chair though!!!

Aliya, how many steps into your house from the garage? Ours was only two and the ramp doesn't take up much space at all. It comes out 36" into the garage but leaves plenty of space for two cars still. I took a quick picture, my race car is hogging up more then it's fair share of space in the picture. So I can work on the other side of it and have room against the wall. I also took a picture of the little tile ramp we made for the door sill. It's real easy to roll through. The ramp took just an afternoon to build. I left the ramp open on the side to store things under it.
    Andrew