Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Temporary Colostomy?

What brand of product are you using and is your stoma still oval in shape? I was sent home from the hospital with convatec supplies which I didn't care for at all and now use Hollister. I use a convex barrier ring around the stoma (because it is more flush than sticking out) which makes a great seal and the wafer goes over it. The flexible rings are also nice because you don't have to be so critical cutting out the wafer if you're stoma is an oval. I'm glad to hear it's working out for you.

I use convatect, I guess mainly because they sent a large sample of supplies to the house after the surgery. Hollister sent samples also, which I tried and actually liked their disposable bags better. They worked very well. The only problem I have had with any of the wafffers is when I don’t follow the procedures.

My stoma is still oval. I use 2 ¾”/70mm size bags. I have to say that since I started using the flexible rings it has been so easy. Red skin gone, no blow outs. I don’t know why the team at the hospital didn’t introduce me to the flexible rings. In my limited experience they are the only way to go.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OLDSAILOR55 View Post
    I use convatect, I guess mainly because they sent a large sample of supplies to the house after the surgery. Hollister sent samples also, which I tried and actually liked their disposable bags better. They worked very well. The only problem I have had with any of the wafffers is when I don’t follow the procedures.

My stoma is still oval. I use 2 ¾”/70mm size bags. I have to say that since I started using the flexible rings it has been so easy. Red skin gone, no blow outs. I don’t know why the team at the hospital didn’t introduce me to the flexible rings. In my limited experience they are the only way to go.
    Awesome skipper. Over time,you'll learn to really appreciate your new butt Sooo much easier to handle.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Just a follow up. I had the stitches out today after 5 weeks, 5 days of 24/7 bed time. The surgeon said I was good to go. What a relief to get up for a while.

Definitely going to keep the colostomy. I think it prevented contamination to the surgery site and after finding out about and using the barrier ring it became even easier to maintain. Bowel accidents are no longer a problem.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OLDSAILOR55 View Post
    ..... The leakage caused skin problems. Then I found these flexible cohesive rings that you shape to the size of the opening in the wafer. Wow, what a difference they made, no leakage, no skin problems. Did away with all the other supplies. Waffer stays on for seven days, no problems.
    Do you have a link or can you point me in the direction of these rings you refer to Oldsailor ..... if they work as well as you say it would save Bill an awful lot of cutting ... plus save him the frustration of the occasional leak . Thanks!

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Obie, I just started using these moldable wafers a few months back. They work great for me. I have an illieostomy too, and the more liquid output makes these swell up, and kind of hug the stoma, like a turtleneck.

http://www.americandiabeteswholesale...vex/Detail.bok
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I mold it to the opening on the wafer before putting the wafer on. The seal is almost like putty. Here is a link to the ones I use.

http://www.americandiabeteswholesale...> /Detail.bok
    Mike

My stoma is more flush with the skin and I use a convex barrier by Hollister that looks like this:

It makes a good seal sticking to both the skin and wafer very well. My stoma is oval and with these you don't have to be so critical cutting out the wafer to the perfect shape. I have the ring placed around the stoma first then put the wafer over top of the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    Obie, I just started using these moldable wafers a few months back. They work great for me. I have an illieostomy too, and the more liquid output makes these swell up, and kind of hug the stoma, like a turtleneck.

http://www.americandiabeteswholesale...vex/Detail.bok
    Thanks so much sjean ...... I wonder if they would send out a sample?

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Probably, but pm me your address and I will send you a couple. If it doesn;t fit his stoma, he will still get the idea of what it is.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005