Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Temporary Colostomy?

Temporary Colostomy?

I need some advise on getting a temporary colostomy. The plastic surgeon is going to close a wound on the inside of my thigh in the groin area very low. He is recommending that I gat a temporary colostomy to prevent any infection after the surgery while it heals.

I will be on my back, no sitting for six weeks. I am 64 and paralyzed from the waist down. I have an appointment with the colostomy surgeon Monday. I have been reading all the past posts on the forum and making a list of questions.

I am having a hard time justifying two major surgeries to help a relative less invasive surgery. I know the surgery could fall apart if the wound gets infected. Is there any dressing that could be used that would seal the wound after surgery while it is healing?

One other question. Do you have to do the same prep for a colostomy as you do for a colonoscopy? If so I risk many more chances of infection before the surgery, by doing the clean out.

Thanks, Mike
    Mike

This is very commonly done. Some even decide to keep the colostomy permanent. It is relatively easy to put back together.
    CWO

One other question. Do you have to do the same prep for a colostomy as you do for a colonoscopy?
    Mike

yes..

It would seem that I risk many more chances of infection to the wound site before the surgery, by doing the clean out. Sort of a catch 22, the prep for the colostomy could cause the infection the doctor was hoping the colostomy would prevent after the surgery.
    Mike

I'm in the hospital now. Admitted on 2/20 for prep, colonoscopy on 2/23, and colostomy on 2/25. I feel fine and think the pros surely outweigh the cons. Education was the key. More later...

doingtime, I hope your surgery was successful and you have a speedy recovery. I know from reading the forum that many members prefer the colostomy. Thank you for your input.

Is the reason for your colostomy to prevent contamination for a wound surgery?

For the SCI nurse, how do you prevent contamination to a wound when someone is doing the prep for a colostomy?
    Mike

I think the dangers would be greater, doing it over and over after the surgery, than just on longer period pre surgery.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

There are bags you can use but you need to cover the wound well and monitor it frequently and change the dressing more often.

cWO

Quote Originally Posted by doingtimeonmyass View Post
    I'm in the hospital now. Admitted on 2/20 for prep, colonoscopy on 2/23, and colostomy on 2/25. I feel fine and think the pros surely outweigh the cons. Education was the key. More later...
    I wish you a speedy recovery & hope that you get go home real soon.
    Glad to read that you feel fine and think the pros surely outweigh the cons.& that education was the key.