Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with bowels

Help with bowels

I'm 19 years old and a T8 complete paraplegic. So I've been trying to poop on the toilet, but it seems like every time I just poop out the suppository no matter how long I wait. I had 40 minute wait time suggested to me and I did that, and pooped it out. I have increased the amount of time I wait after putting the suppository in every time, and am now up to an hour and a half and I still just poop out a melted suppository. It's like there's a cloud in my toilet when I get off of it and that's it. Is there any thing I'm doing wrong or any practices that you guys have had that has worked?

Thanks!

I do not have any good advice. For a time - years - daily Miralax worked for me, kind of, then it stopped working. If things are very blocked, twice daily Miralax and Senna till things improve. Some people say, try a colostomy, which in retrospect might have been the best option for me. I found Lactulose worked quite rapidly too. But I also found all these things tended not to work that well, really; were very consuming; and kind of unreliable.

What can wind up happening, and I think happened to me, is that the bowel issues can gradually almost without realizing it subsume ones life, so that one sharply restricts leaving the house or social interaction, before you know it, you're a hermit. That's why I feel like I probably should have had a colostomy when I was younger. I've also heard people recommend the ACE procedure.

Note that you should also contact a doctor. These problems can become dangerous.

Have you passed any formed stool at all? You don't say what kind if suppository you are using, but most (regular bisacodyl, glycerine, etc.) only work for about 30 minutes. Waiting longer is not going to help. You sound at least pretty badly constipated, if not impacted. Most likely if you have not passed any stool for a number of days, you need to "blast it out" with a strong osmotic laxative such as magnesium citrate or Lactulose, and start fresh.

What other meds are you taking? How much fluid do you drink daily, and what kind? How much dietary fiber are you getting daily? When are you doing bowel care in relationship to your meals? Do you also use digital stimulation as part of your bowel care?

(KLD)

This is how I do it.

-Mon. Wed. Fri. All mornings.

-Restoralax after every meal. About one table spoon.

-Eat melon fruit the night before. And drink lots.

-Four Senokot the night prior to bowel in the morning.

-Drink while on commode over toilet to get bladder to kick in and help move bowels. Do several caths while on commode over entire length of bowel care.

-Move around while on commode to help move bowel in intestines.

-I have a regular caregiver help with digital stim. I haven't quite mastered it and may never.

-I don't use a sup but would if I had to.

Hope that helps or gives ideas.

Blog Entries
    Yep you are right, the danger is that your bowels run your life and you spend most of your day thinking about it, probably one of the major reasons some choose colostomy

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Have you passed any formed stool at all? You don't say what kind if suppository you are using, but most (regular bisacodyl, glycerine, etc.) only work for about 30 minutes. Waiting longer is not going to help. You sound at least pretty badly constipated, if not impacted. Most likely if you have not passed any stool for a number of days, you need to "blast it out" with a strong osmotic laxative such as magnesium citrate or Lactulose, and start fresh.

What other meds are you taking? How much fluid do you drink daily, and what kind? How much dietary fiber are you getting daily? When are you doing bowel care in relationship to your meals? Do you also use digital stimulation as part of your bowel care?

(KLD)
    Ok, my post could have been a lot more helpful. My suppository is biscadyl. I am not constipated, when I don't go over the toilet I have my dad help with digital stim to scoop it out and we always get a normal amount when he helps with that.

Meds that I am taking are:
    tizanodine (muscle relaxer for leg spasms) only 2mg a day, which is half of one pill
    oxybutinin to help with bladder issues twice a day
    colace (stool softener) twice a day
    equate laxative pills 2 pills at lunch
    also an antibiotic to prevent UTIs that I can't remember the name to and am at work right now once a day
    Lastly, I have a baclofen pump

I could definitely get more fiber in my diet and will start doing that, I am doing my bowel care in the morning at around 6 am, so that is usually around 12 hours after eating last. As said previously, I do have help with digital stim from my dad.

So yes, I pass stool daily, but I'm trying to get it down on a schedule so that I can move away to college with my friends next year. Thanks for the help everyone.
    Last edited by Jacob44; 02-23-2016 at 04:48 PM.

I also mainly drink water. Probably around 48 oz per day. Two days a week I will drink a Diet Mountain Dew while at work, but that does not affect the amount of water I consume.

Blog Entries
    Had a friend with a question regarding independent BP on bed using manual evacuation. He was told that you should lay on your left side for this procedure, but what if you are left handed ? Will he have to learn to use his right hand for best results ?

I am a T7/8 complete. I go every three days. I take two generic Fibercon pills a day. Equate compare with active ingredient in Fibercon. I transfer over to toilet and bend over and grab my ankles and push. That usually produces most of my bowel movement. I then follow up with digital stimulation to make sure my movement is complete. Sometimes I have to do digital stimulation to get things started. Some people do not want to go two or three days but it works for me. On average it takes me fifteen to thirty minutes, forty five minutes top's. This works for me I spend a lot less time in the bathroom. I sit as far forward on the toilet as I can and reach around behind to gain access to do my digital stimulation. You do not say anything about doing digital stimulation yourself. You really need to figure out how to do digital stimulation yourself on the commode. use as little toilet paper as you can to clean off your gloved hand and I also use some wet wipes to clean myself and gloved hand that I put in a container sitting on my chair and when I am through I grab them up with gloved hand and pull glove off turning it inside out and tie it shut with soiled wipes inside glove and throw it away that way there is no smell coming from trash.

Blog Entries
    Never heard of Fibercon but am taking myself 2 teaspoons of Normacol Plus of an evening and use Dulcolax in morning as I go every day. Normacol Plus has an extract from tree bark which has a purging action on bowels. A lot of the forum talk about Movicol but I do not thing this is available in NZ. I sit on a raised toilet seat and was used to doing digital to get things going although in later years this was becoming a bit more problematic, the problem is that now that I have had a partial prolapse sorted early last year it has made things a lot more difficult as there is less room to move if you know what I mean. I have found that I am having to lean over a long way and am danger of tipping off if my grip slips which is why I now use the stimulant to clean things out, although I feel not always with complete success