Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hot Peppers anyone else growing them for 09?

I am looking into Square Foot Gardening. It was developed by Mel Bartholomew. It is raised garden beds. They can be on the ground or up on sawhorses, etc. You can check it out at www.squarefootgardening.com

PeanutsLucy,
    I have grown garlic before. It practically grows by itself. Not much to do to it. It is a lot like taking care of onions. When the green stem starts to get yellow and die off, it is ready for harvest. Just dry in a sunny, warm place until the skin is tough. Enjoy-fresh homegrown garlic is the best!

well it's almost the end of march and the snow is finally starting to really melt. would one think it's alright to start habanaro seeds? when i start out can they be indoors and do they have to be put in the sun? i'm in maine by the way. so i'm not sure what zone i'm in either.

For "some bite" I love Anaheim chilis, but have not tried to grow them. They are large. Anyone successfully grow these in a pot?

Thanks for the garlic tip Momo3. It seems to be doing quite well. I'm looking forward to comparing it to supermarket garlic.

I planted lettuce (bibb, buttercrunch and romaine) yesterday. Also put in some spinach, napa cabbage and snow peas. I tried the square-foot gardening method in part of the raised bed, we'll see how it turns out. It was certainly easy to plant.

Last year I got the cool crops in too late and they all bolted well before we got our fill of fresh lettuce and greens. My timing seems better this year.

I've given up growing seeds indoors because there just isn't a good place in the house and the plants get real spindly. Fortunately there's no shortage of garden centers and the farmers market sells seedlings early on.

With the economy in the toilet and my employer announcing yet another round of furloughs, we're planning a much bigger garden than last year just to help save money.

I'm giving Jade green beans a try. Bought them at the farmers market last year and they were amazing. Real tender and not pithy at all. Hopefully they grow well -- it's a bush bean, not pole.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

P.S.

I've grown tomatoes in pots, cherry and regular, and have had great results as long as the soil is kept moist. A sprinkle of organic fertilizer helps too.

Had a volunteer cherry tomato in the front shrubs two years ago. It produced more fruit than I've ever seen. I was brining them into work by the bucket because we just couldn't eat them fast enough. I think the trick was the light shade the shrubery provided.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

My friend and I plant Jade green beans. They grow very well. You have to pick them almost daily when they get mature, otherwise they get too big. I hope you like green beans. Lettuce grows well in the house too year round. Just keep in a cooler location and near sun. I am getting ready to order my seeds and plants. Our ground is still frozen. Happy planting!!

I live in northern Vermont where the climate is unforgiving yet I've been able to successfully grow hot peppers for years including jalapenos, cayennes, thai hots, serranno, anaheims and habaneros as part of my "salsa" garden. I gave up cultivating root plants and just do raised beds of tomatoes, peppers and herbs to make salsa and marinara sauce. Has anyone noticed that's it's getting increasingly difficult to get cayenne starters?

patrick i noticed your from vt, do you start everything from seed first and then transplant? if you do when do you start your seeds and do you keep them indoors? i'm not exactly sure how i'm going to go about gardening this year since it will be my first real summer in a chair. i have a ramp that i might be able to put window boxes up on the sides but i have to make sure i can reach them so i don't know about that idea. by the way i'm in maine. thanks!

Just bought some Vietnamese pepper seeds. Says they're pretty hot. hehe

Question Indoor gardening?

Anyone have experience on growing vegetables inside?

I'm gonna try unless it breaks my budget.

Do we have a gardening forum? Wasn't sure where to put this.

Anyway I started with flourescent light. But they're too tall without many leaves. (lettuce)
    Basil stems are wobbly.

I read grow bulbs wasn't good enough for flowering.

Any ideas on good lighting on a budget?
    Thanks!