Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Peppers anyone else growing them for 09?

Exclamation Hot Peppers anyone else growing them for 09?

I am gonna grow a bunch of jalapeno peppers.

Getting ready to start my seeds a little late, but I plan on growing a ton of these suckers. I can eat them by the hand full. I plan on canning a lot of them as well as making poppers where you fill w/ cheese & wrap with bacon!

This will probably be the only thing that I grow this year.

We are at the end of the growing season. Soon it will be too hot. That said, my garden was a disappointment this winter. The tomato plants grew large and lush, with loads of tomatoes maturing, and then, suddenly they were hit with wilt. I only have two plants that survived out of ten. Something attacked the peppers dispite my best efforts with garlic, and hot pepper spray. I have some nice looking squash plants that we hope will produce something. The lettuce has been good, though. I have five pots with various lettuce, and plant new seeds every few weeks for a fresh salad every evening. The herb garden is doing well, too. I hope it survives the summer. This is the first year we planted one in the ground.

Yes jalapeno, bell (red & green),tomatoes, radishes. last year we had lots of jalapeno used a bunch froze some for winter gave away alot too.

I'm going to, but as far as being a little late, we got 2" of snow at my house this morning. I was gonna plant sweet peas this weekend. I just might wait for awhile

does anyone have any luck with garlic in containers / pots?
    Inc C4 since Oct 07

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing" - Optimus Prime

Sorry to hear that your growing season is about over. We might get snow here in Missouri tomorrow. It is just getting ready to start here. Can you really not grow these things well in FL all year long ? Perhaps just keep them semi shaded & well watered?

I'd almost think that if you really wanted to you could find a way with that nice weather all year round.

As far as Garlic, let me know if you do have any luck, because I have always toyed with the idea of growing some myself & would def do it if I could in a container. As I use it to help add flavor when canning these.

As far as all of the extra peppers, here is what I do and recommend. Cold can all that you can. Cut them up to whatever size you like, use regular vinegar, canning salt, & olive oil, & a small amount of garlic. This tends to work pretty good, if you need more specifics on the recipe contact me. Then with some of the fresh peppers, make poppers & other things out of them. There are a lot of good recipes out there !
    c

A few things grow year round, but you have to keep on top of it. Herbs in pots generally survive, with constant trimming to prevent them from bolting. It is not a matter of shade and water. Most veggies need a temperature drop during the night, which does not occur in south Florida summers.

i want to grow some habanaro peppers this year. not sure how would they do in a pot?? this is my first time planting anything from a chair so i want to try to grow them in pots. any advice about gardening??? thanks by the way i'm in maine. when should i start seeds? thanks for the help!!

I love adding fresh peppers to my food. Once the weather warms up, I'll try to do some work in my garden (with my wife's help of course). Does anyone have a good recipe for salsa?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey5774 View Post
    i want to grow some habanaro peppers this year. not sure how would they do in a pot?? this is my first time planting anything from a chair so i want to try to grow them in pots. any advice about gardening??? thanks by the way i'm in maine. when should i start seeds? thanks for the help!!
    Habanaro grows very nicely in a pot. I do most of my gardening in pots.