Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: magnesium citrate

Quote Originally Posted by new dimension View Post
    It has been suggested by doc that my son use magnesium citrate 3 times a week and then as needed as we are having some constipation issues. Would MIlk of Magnesia be a better root? A bit gentler...my son (20) refuses magnesium citrate as he fears the results.
    Milk of Magnesium states a bowel in 1/2 to 6 hours.........is that pretty consistent? Do you need to worry about accidents while sleeping or after the 6 hours? Would you take it at bedtime the night before bowel program or early am with the expectation of a bowel program within 4-6 hours?
    Please advise........
    I took Milk of Magnesia a couple times when I was constipated, and I found that it worked, but kept working throughout the day (took it the night before my morning BP) -- NOT what I wanted! I think Magnesium supplements (capsules) may be more controlled, but I'm still new with them, and not constipated, so using light doses.

Senna tea has also worked well for me (the night before), and no lasting effect through the day. But that was when I was not constipated -- maybe not strong enough when you are.

Mag citrate is why I dont touch lemonade to this day!!!! Its gnarly, and creates massive gassives when I aint wantn to light up the day.... last resort only...have you tried miralax? That helps me 99% of the time..fleets enema was a good idea also...

Quote Originally Posted by new dimension View Post
    It has been suggested by doc that my son use magnesium citrate 3 times a week and then as needed as we are having some constipation issues. Would MIlk of Magnesia be a better root? A bit gentler...my son (20) refuses magnesium citrate as he fears the results.
    Milk of Magnesium states a bowel in 1/2 to 6 hours.........is that pretty consistent? Do you need to worry about accidents while sleeping or after the 6 hours? Would you take it at bedtime the night before bowel program or early am with the expectation of a bowel program within 4-6 hours?
    Please advise........
    OMG, that stuff is the devil!!! I just did the mag cit thing this weekend due to impaction. It's only the second time I've used it since my injury 21 months ago. It is absolutely a last resort for me! So, so, very, very HARSH!!! Cruel and unusual punishment, IMHO.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Routine use of strong laxatives (like magnesium citrate) and even routine use of milder laxatives and stimulates such as MOM or senna can over time significantly increase the risk of obstructive megacolon in people with SCI. I suspect the physician who suggested this is not an expert in SCI care. Laxatives are also more likely to cause accidents. MOM (milk of magnesia) should usually be taken only for occasional constipation, and then 6-8 hours prior to your usual bowel care time.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
    ...have you tried miralax?
    Yep. Generic name glycolax! It started me on the road to recovery from chronic constipation. Remember, you can play with the dosage -- because once you get moving -- you won't need as much. Good luck. Constipation is pure misery.

BTW - I have never seen a surefire cleaning that didn't include the possibility of accidents shortly after a bout of severe constipation. The key to avoiding accidents is to avoid getting constipated. It's a catch-22 once the cycle gets started, but you can break it...just don't give up working on a routine even if you have a bit of trouble at the beginning.
    Last edited by flicka; 03-29-2009 at 11:34 PM.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

Mag Citrate better than Bisacodyl (Magic Bullet)

I have been forced to stop using the magic bullet (or any bisacodyl) suppository, because it makes me miserable all day, even though it does a perfect job emptying my bowels.

Thanks to suggestions from others here, I gradually increased the dosage of magnesium citrate capsules the night before bowel care (every other day) until I found the amount that works. For me, it is 1250 mg, taken with the last meal of the day. It has consistently worked for the last 3-4 weeks. (I also eat 20-25 grams of fiber, and drink 3 quarts of water per day.)

And I am SO happy that the suffering sweats from bisacodyl have stopped! I used to soak 3 t-shirts with sweat from my neck during a one hour bowel program. Now the sweating is GONE!

Is the risk of mega-colon more serious from regular use of mag citrate than from bisacodyl? (I used bisacodyl for 23 years, and it's still very effective, just miserable.)

Magnesium citrate comes in several different forms. There is the laxative strength/form of Magnesium citrate oral solution - saline laxative that is 1.75 GRAMS of magnesium PER OUNCE. That's like 17,450mg of mag per bottle. And there is the dietary supplement that comes in like "One a Day plus minerals" where you might have 100mg of magnesium citrate. Drinking a 10 ounce bottle of Magnesium citrate oral solution - saline laxative is like eating 1 or 2 bottles of magnesium citrate dietary supplement.

Magnesium is supposed to be good for the nerves. I know here where I live there is no magnesium in the soil so food grown locally without being supplemented with mag will be deficient. I'm not sure how much magnesium Milk of Magnesium has, but i'm sure when compared to the dietary mag its a shitload.....so anyhow.....

Oops! Mag Citrate not reliable, long term.

Quote Originally Posted by dnvrdave View Post
    Thanks to suggestions from others here, I gradually increased the dosage of magnesium citrate capsules the night before bowel care (every other day) until I found the amount that works. For me, it is 1250 mg, taken with the last meal of the day. It has consistently worked for the last 3-4 weeks. (I also eat 20-25 grams of fiber, and drink 3 quarts of water per day.)
    ..Well, it was great while it lasted. After a total of 6-7 weeks, I started having bowel accidents due to the Mag Citrate. I think it was too difficult to have bowel care only every other day, but I also think the Magnesium was too strong. And a lower dosage didn't seem to work.

Those of you who warned about the power of Mag Citrate turned out to be right.