Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: magnesium citrate

magnesium citrate

It has been suggested by doc that my son use magnesium citrate 3 times a week and then as needed as we are having some constipation issues. Would MIlk of Magnesia be a better root? A bit gentler...my son (20) refuses magnesium citrate as he fears the results.
    Milk of Magnesium states a bowel in 1/2 to 6 hours.........is that pretty consistent? Do you need to worry about accidents while sleeping or after the 6 hours? Would you take it at bedtime the night before bowel program or early am with the expectation of a bowel program within 4-6 hours?
    Please advise........

Magnesium Citrate seems kinda harsh to me.

I take stuff called citra-mag only as a last resort. It has to be really bad. I've only taken it 3 times in 10 years, instant diarrhea for me.

Try the MOM and a mini feets enema. Is he on enough stool softeners, feber and rinking plenty of water. Use a suppository every dah and do the bowe program daily if consitpated.
    Mag citrate is a strong laxative, he might need it to get eaned out and occasionally but 3 a week does seem strong, but if he has tried everything else and no results, he might need it.

CWO

Your doc probably realizes your son is deficient in Magnesium. Inadequate Mg reduces peristalsis. Supplementing 3x a week (depending on dosage) seems conservative enough to gently ease into regularity. I wouldn't fear instant, unexpected results from a gradual introduction.
    Last edited by goat; 02-27-2009 at 10:25 PM.
    "Let your food be your medicine" - Hippocrates

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    Your doc probably realizes your son is deficient in Magnesium. Inadequate Mg reduces peristalsis. Supplementing 3x a week (depending on dosage) seems conservative enough to gently ease into regularity. I wouldn't fear instant, unexpected results from a gradual introduction.
    A magnesium supplement and magnesium citrate are two incredibly different things. The dose of mag citrate is normally a bottle and that almost always is good for a major blow out within .5 to 4 hours. Mag citrate works by drawing water from the body into the bowel. It doesn't work by increasing peristalsis.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I drink a bottle of magnesium citrate for consitpation in rehab and omg it push everything out hard and soft stool i felt so much relief. Be ready or have some help on standby. Later i realize they were giving me to much stool softer. I requested them to lighten up on the colace and they put me on fibercon. Fibercon made my stool bulk and things went back to normal. GL
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    A magnesium supplement and magnesium citrate are two incredibly different things. The dose of mag citrate is normally a bottle and that almost always is good for a major blow out...
    Magnesium citrate, magnesium oxide, magnesium sulfate, magnesium carbonate [and others] are actually ALL forms of magnesium supplementation [1].

One would likely suffer a blow-out if they consumed an entire bottle of Magnesium in ANY form.
    "Pharmacologic doses of magnesium in supplements can promote adverse effects such as diarrhea" [1]. "Magnesium excess almost always occurs only when magnesium is supplemented as a medication" [2].

"Literature indicates that [magnesium] deficiencies may exist in both thirdworld and industrialized nations. RDA for the US is 6 mg/Kg/day, which translates to 420 mg for a 70 Kg man. The estimated intake in the US is 300 mg/day. Studies show that as much as 3 times this amount may be needed by the general population" [3].

Slowly increasing magnesium supplements 3x a week is a conservative method to increase peristalsis & gently ease into regularity.

1 - http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium.asp
    2 - http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002423.htm
    3 - 1996 FDA Science Forum. Abstract. http://www.mgwater.com/mgrda.shtml
    "Let your food be your medicine" - Hippocrates

My son takes 340 mg of magnesium citrate per day, split into 2 170 mg dosages. Been doing this daily since his accident 3 years ago. He also takes supplemental fiber twice per day and a stool softner (1), and 2 small vegetable laxatives per day. Has movements ever other day without any accidents or problems. Stools are soft, never any hard balls. He is a C-6 incomplete.

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    I just started 250 mg Magnesium Citrate/Oxide the night before BP and it seems to work well. I'm not constipated -- just trying to find alternative to Magic Bullet (using glycerin suppos now, instead).

I was taking a Calcium/Magnesium combo, and it didn't do much because I guess the Calcium conteracts the Magnesium.