Thread: question

question

I hope someone can help me with this. I saw an injury at a high school sporting event that really frightened me recently. Thankfully, the kid was fine but it got me thinking. I've had an SCI for almost twenty years and would hate to see someone injured and not know the best specific advice to give. So, I was wondering:

What should you make sure is done for them immediately? (and, aside from Geron, what clinical trials should a brand new injury know about?)

Also, what would be the best trauma/immediate care facility in the NJ,New York area?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nggun View Post
    I hope someone can help me with this. I saw an injury at a high school sporting event that really frightened me recently. Thankfully, the kid was fine but it got me thinking. I've had an SCI for almost twenty years and would hate to see someone injured and not know the best specific advice to give. So, I was wondering:

What should you make sure is done for them immediately? (and, aside from Geron, what clinical trials should a brand new injury know about?)

Also, what would be the best trauma/immediate care facility in the NJ,New York area?

Thanks.
    nggun,

1. Stabilize their spines and transport them to the nearest trauma center.
    2. Ensure that they are breathing and have reasonable blood pressure.
    3. Start high-dose methylprednisolone (30 mg/kg bolus plus 5.4 mg/kg/hr for 23 hours).
    4. Get MRI and CT images of the spine, realign the spine, and decompress the spinal cord as soon as feasible.
    5. Initiate rehabilitation.

Bellevue Hospital is, in my opinion, the best place to go with acute spinal cord injury in New York. If the person has the connections, Lennox Hill is also good.

Wise.

They put me on a helicopter to Westchester medical center, and they started methylprednisolone, and within hours of my injury. Even though I am a C3 complete believe it kept me off a ventilator, also had a heart valve replacement in that hospital 12 years later. Another good hospital in the New York area, and of course Kessler rehabilitation. Just one man's little two cents
    keiffer66

Thanks Dr. Young and Keith.

question

I think it's very important to get someone with a spinal cord injury out of a "regular" hospital and into a specialty hospital as soon as possible. My son was in the Shepherd Center in Atlanta, and they were wonderful. He was transferred to Shepherd's after being in a regular hospital for 2-1/2 weeks. While he was at the reg hospital, I felt the staff was wonderful. They were so caring and seemed very knowledgeable. Looking back, I have a totally different view. They were caring, but they let my son lay on his back constantly until he developed a severe pressure sore. He also developed pneumonia, which may also be due to lack of movement. He was also put on a vent. They attempted to wean him off once. I really think if we had not gotten him out of that hospital, they would have held his hand until he died. I personnaly have a lot of guilt about my son getting a bedsore. I thought it was a small sore and a problem associated with the elderly. My son was 19. If we had known how severe a bed sore was, we would have made sure he was turned and gotten out of bed. Every complication my son had in that reg hosp, we were told "it's not uncommon"..... for someone with a spinal cord injury. It may not be uncommon there, but there are ways to prevent or at least try to prevent some of the horrors.

same thing happen to me at a football game. a cheerleader took a nasty fall on head right in front of me. I got a sick feeling when watching emt working on her and I did not see her moving. i over heard emt tell a school official they where taking her to local small hospital. i was not able to get to them on the field but sent word down to send her to biggest trauma center in Austin, that the small hospital could not help her and was wasting precious time. I am not sure if they headed my advise, but later heard she was ok. the whole thing really brought back some emotions I havent felt in yrs...

I know how you felt Quad. It was good you got word down to the field. It really does matter where you're taken.

Thanks Harriet. What's acceptable in one hospital, isn't in another. Pressure sores happen to lots of people-don't beat yourself up.

I have expirienced sci from both the medical side and the personal side. I have been a NYS EMT for many years and can't even count the number of times I have loaded an injured person into a helicopter to go to the nearest trauma center which for us is Westchester Medical.

On April 14, 2008 my daughter who is also an EMT was involved in an ambulance accident. her injuries are traumatic amputation of her right arm almost to the shoulder and a c-5 fracture. She was flown to Westchester.

Getting the spine stabilized and to the best trauma center is of the utmost importance.

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. I wish her the best.