Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get out of a 'funk'

How to get out of a 'funk'

lately I've been just so freaking TIRED of being SCI and all it entails. All the daily frustrations and difficulties are just getting on my nerves. I'm usually able to focus on all the positives and blessings in my life. Of which I have many. I have no specific problem, I'm just tired of struggling and trying so hard to do simple things, tired of spending hours in the bathroom, tired of pain, tired of cathing, tired of cleaning, tired of cooking, tired of taking care of my kids, tired of trying to be a good wife-daughter-mom-friend-sister, etc. Just tired of being me and living this freaking fake life. Been too long since I've been really, truly, 100% happy. Theres always that 2-98% of me thinking 'yah, this is cool/great/fun but it would be better if I wasn't freaking disabled'.
    Anyhow, just in a funk. How do you guys get out of these funks?
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

I don't know. No matter how high or low your injury there always seem to be those days. Today I am annoyed because I bought a gallon of paint yesterday. The guy who mixed the color broke the handle on the bucket. he was completely pissed because I insisted on a new bucket. I couldn't make him understand I can't push and paint a room with a bucket with no handle. I would have poured it all over the floor trying to pick it up. So then I asked some other idiot at the store to carry a step ladder to the register for me. He actually asked why I needed one. I suppose so someone can climb up there and tape the ceiling off for me. Which will probably take 2 months for someone to get around to. So now we have a beautifully half finished room. But on the bright side I painted that half myself and it looks good. On the crappy side I would be done today if I could just get UP THERE.

It's exhausting taking 3 times longer to do things. Sorry for adding a rant. I have no clue how to get out of the funk though.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

It must be the time of year. I am bored of everything and I am sleepy all the time. I slept 13 hours tonight and I could have slept more but somebody called me. Happily. I see movies and tv shows all the time except when my small one is here or I make the house. That is all I am doing. Too much snow to go out of the house, I am angry on the driving teacher, he behaves like I never been driving car before and I have been driving for 32 years in this town and never had an accident who was my fault. He is talking like all men when they are sitting besides you, not like a teacher.
    TH 12, 43 years post

why do you think your life is fake? i often think about how hard it'll be to raise kids (and if they'll be anything like me, they'll need to be rescued from near death a few times) and i think of you and how proud you are to be a mom and how you love to care for them. that makes me feel like it's do-able and i can enjoy it more than worry about being able to do it.

maybe you need a helping hand a little more often, and have a few days away to relax, get pampered a bit, send the kids off to the grandparents for a weekend and spend some serious one on one time with your SO or even by yourself.

this winter has been hell on me and as we've all seen here, a lot of us are going insane from the weather and i'm sure that's not helping either.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

It probably is partly the weather too...thank God spring will be here soon. Maybe fake isn't the right word, I just always feel like WTF is this life I have found myself in?
    My kids are my light, truly, although yesterday my 5 year old was just awful - threatning to go live at our neighbours and telling me I was crumpling her heart up into little pieces - guess I'm a bad mommy for asking her to pick a few things up lol. I feel crappy for not being happy. I have a lot of function for a quad, can do most of what I want around the house, have 2 beautiful kids, a caring hubby, beautiful house, lots of family support, good friends, enough money... but still just sick and tired of being me.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

It's got to be cabin fever. And I agree with Cali you do an awesome job at being a mom.
    And to me fake may be the word. I feel fake when people look at me and think I'm holding it together and have such a positive outlook blah blah blah. Inside I'm feeling like this is BS I want out. Not out of life just out of the bs. I hate almost every second of it.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

I'm there too. A lot of it in winter, February is the worst for me anyway.

But, I had my kids as an ab, and a lot of what you describe, is just from being overwhelmed as a mommy. It can be a never ending thankless job at times. And exhausting without the added sci issues.

I don;t know where you get the energy for little kids ..... I have days it takes all my energy to manage me and the one teenager I have still living at home. (Mothering teens have their own issues, but aren;t as physically tiring)

You are so right about them being your light tho. WHat a good way to put it. I know on the worst of days, they are what keep me going.

So I guess, just hang in there? (And remember, if your kids don;t think you are the meanest mommy in the world once in a while, you aren;t doing your job right!)

Let me know tho if you find something that works.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Emi2 View Post
    and telling me I was crumpling her heart up into little pieces
    SHe has quite the way with words! A writer in the making?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Emi,

I remember when you were pregnant with your first and were terrified and unsure how you would/could do it. You have come a LONG way and have become a great Mom. I think you just need some warm weather and a few days away. Being a Mom ain't easy!

if the world didn't sux, we'd all fall off