Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking probiotics and antibiotics concurrently

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    I searched to find the consensus on this but there's mostly links to questions about if it's ok. I found this as the most authoritative resource. Do you guys take them together when you have a uti? The hospital gave me a klebsiella uti from a cystogram and I'm taking macrobid. thanks.
    The time I had a cystogram and urodynamics I made the urologist give me a 500mg Cipro just before each, to murder any bugs before they got a chance to do their thing.

When I was recently in the hospital with a foley, I did the same. I didn't get any uti's and I figure that's why. Good luck Les, probiotics can't hurt while on a course of antibiotics, but can surely help.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

wchair, c. diff (shorthand for clostridium difficile) is a bacteria that can get into your colon and cause problems if antibiotics you're taking kill off the helpful bacteria that are normally present. The only real symptom of c. diff is persistent diarrhea (ocurring at least three times a day for at least two days in a row). The diarrhea may occur as early as during treatment or as far out as weeks after treatment with antibiotics end.

The only way to diagnose c. diff is by performing a culture on a stool sample. In some cases, your system can retore its natural balance just by stopping the antibiotic that caused the problems. For more severe cases, treatment consists of taking either Flagyl or Vancomycin, two strong antibiotics.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/c-d...CTION=symptoms

In my case, the diarrhea lasted for just over a month (including two weeks after finishing treatment for it) and I wasn't able to get any symptom relief from kaopectate or Pepto Bismol. (Most docs believe that you should not take Immodium because it will trap the bad bacteria inside your body for longer periods of time.)

--THC

Jesus, that must be Hell, thanks for info... sorry you had to go through that

Les good luck getting rid of the UTI.
    Something I read on line:
    If you drink water with chlorine it ruins the probiotics.
    I got a filter on my tap.
    Saying a prayer for you. {hugs}

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    The time I had a cystogram and urodynamics I made the urologist give me a 500mg Cipro just before each, to murder any bugs before they got a chance to do their thing.

When I was recently in the hospital with a foley, I did the same. I didn't get any uti's and I figure that's why. Good luck Les, probiotics can't hurt while on a course of antibiotics, but can surely help.
    I got too cocky re uti's, I should have asked! live and learn.

Thanks all, I'm eating yogurt and taking the probiotics so I'm a ok; I'm actually taking the probiotics for the bacteria issue in my mitro stoma. Mona I hadn't heard that I do have a filter and will make sure I use only that faucet.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Great Les. Sounds like you got everything covered!
    Those bugs should be gone soon.

What are others sources of probiotics besides yogurt?

Kefir, homemade sauerkraut are two food sources. Garden of Life brand Primal Defence is a good supplement.
    "Let your food be your medicine" - Hippocrates

FWIW a 'naturopath' was working at the store I bought mine from, when I said I was looking for potent probiotics he said, quietly, that a study found only 2 brands were effective, Pharmax -the one I bought- and I believe Metagenics was the other.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

I keep looking for the perfect bottle after reading this.
    Not all probiotics are the same & too little or too much can cause trouble.
    Eileen I'll check those 2 out compared to this report.
    We also need to take enzymes.
    It says to take probiotics on an empty stomach.
    I get overwhelmed trying to take the right ones & don't take any.
    This is a good read:

The Barron Report: The Probiotic Miracle

When you are healthy, over 100 trillion microorganisms, from some 400 different species, flourish in your intestinal tract, aiding in digestion, absorption, and the production of significant amounts of B vitamins and enzymes. But more importantly, they crowd out all harmful bacteria -- allowing them no place to gain a foothold.

Unfortunately, the levels of beneficial bacteria decline dramatically as the human body ages. Some of the reasons for this decline include:

• Over time, the colonies of friendly bacteria just naturally age and lose their vitality.
    • Disruptions and changes in the acid/alkaline balance of the bowels can play a major role in reducing the growth of beneficial bacteria. In addition, these changes tend to favor the growth of harmful viral and fungal organisms as well as putrefactive, disease-causing bacteria.
    • Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) like Advil, Motrin, Midol, etc. are destructive to intestinal flora.
    • Chlorine in the drinking water not only serves to kill bacteria in the water; it is equally devastating to the colonies of beneficial bacteria living in the intestines.
    • Radiation and chemotherapy are devastating to your inner bacterial environment.
    • Virtually all meat and chicken and dairy that you eat (other than organic) is loaded with antibiotics, which destroy ALL of the beneficial bacteria in your gastrointestinal tract.
    • A diet high in meats and fats, because they take so long to break down in the human body, promotes the growth of the harmful, putrefying bacteria.
    • Constipation, of course, allows harmful bacteria to hang around longer, which allows them to proliferate.
    • Cigarettes, alcohol, and stress are also major culprits -- as are some antibiotic herbs, such as goldenseal (if taken in sufficient quantity).
    • And if you've ever been subjected to a round of "medicinal" antibiotics, you can kiss your beneficial bacteria good-bye. The problem is that antibiotics indiscriminately destroy both bad and GOOD bacteria -- allowing virulent, mutant strains of harmful microorganisms to emerge and run rampant inside the body. Antibiotics (both medicinal and in our food supply) are the #1 culprit in the overgrowth of HARMFUL pathogens in the gastrointestinal tract (a condition called dysbiosis) that may be at the root of many autoimmune disorders and certain cancers.

http://www.jonbarron.org/detoxing-he...05-01-1999.php

Also in picking the perfect probiotics:

(same link)

There are many beneficial bacteria that can be contained in a good probiotic, but two are preeminent. Look for a formula based on these two:

• L. acidophilus resides primarily in the small intestine and produces a number of powerful antimicrobial compounds in the gut (including: acidolin, acidolphilin, lactocidin, and bacteriocin). These compounds can inhibit the growth and toxin producing capabilities of some 23 known disease-causing pathogens (including: campylobacter, listeria, and staphylococci), as well as reduce tumor growth and effectively neutralize or inhibit carcinogenic substances.

It's also important to note that L. acidophilus is the primary beneficia bacteria in the vaginal tract. When the presence of the acidophilus is compromised, this allows the bad guys such as Gardnerella vaginalis or E. coli or Chlamydia to take over.

• Many researchers believe that declining levels of bifidobacteria in the large intestine actually mark the eventual onset of chronic degenerative disease. Bifidobacteria benefit the body in a number of ways. They; consume old fecal matter, have the ability to remove cancer-forming elements (or the enzymes which lead to their formation), and protect against the formation of liver, colon, and mammary gland tumors.
    More is not always better. Too many beneficial bacteria in one formula may find the bacteria competing with each other before they can establish themselves in separate areas of the intestinal tract. On the other hand, there are several other bacteria that are extremely beneficial in any probiotic formula.

• L salivarius helps digest foods in the intestinal tract and makes vital nutrients more assimilable. It also works to eat away encrusted fecal matter throughout the entire colon; it helps repair the intestinal tract by providing needed enzymes and essential nutrients; and it adheres to the intestinal wall, thereby forming a living matrix that helps protect the mucosal lining.
    • L. rhamnosus is a powerful immune stimulator. It can increase the natural killing activity of spleen cells, which may help to prevent tumor formation. It boosts the ability of the body to destroy foreign invaders and other harmful matter by three times normal activity; and has been shown to increase circulating antibody levels by six to eight times.
    • L. plantarum has the ability to eliminate thousands of species of pathogenic bacteria. It also as extremely high adherence potential for epithelial tissue and seems to favor colonizing the same areas of the intestinal tract that E. coli prefers -- in effect, serving to crowd E. coli out of the body. At one time, plantarum was a major part of our diets (found in sourdough bread, sauerkraut, etc.), but is now virtually nowhere to be found.
    • Note: a good probiotic formulation will usually contain fructooligosaccharides (FOS) which help promote the growth of beneficial bacteria. For some friendly bacteria, such as the Bifidus, FOS can increase their effectiveness by a factor of 1,000 times or more!!
    Guidelines For Taking Probiotics

One final note: start slowly. When you first start using a probiotic supplement, there is a chance that you will precipitate a die-off of bad bacteria in your intestinal tract. This can lead to gas, stomach rumblings, and cramping for up to three weeks.