Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking probiotics and antibiotics concurrently

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Taking probiotics and antibiotics concurrently

I searched to find the consensus on this but there's mostly links to questions about if it's ok. I found this as the most authoritative resource. Do you guys take them together when you have a uti? The hospital gave me a klebsiella uti from a cystogram and I'm taking macrobid. thanks.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

I think it's not only a good idea to take probiotics with antibiotics, but an essential one.

I ended up with a case of c. diff after treating a UTI with Augmentin, which had always wreaked havoc on my intestines but never before to that extent. Since that nasty experience, I now do everything I can to make sure that the antibiotics I take don't get an opportunity to throw my digestive tract out of whack.

--THC

Take the probiotics three hours prior! Same time = pointless!
    And the truth shall set you free.

Currently taking Levaquin for a rare UTI .. I think it's especially important to take probiotics now!

In fact I've been feeling sluggish and dragging when I realized I wasn't drinking my Dan-Activ ... felt better within two days.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    Take the probiotics three hours prior! Same time = pointless!
    Is that the best plan, then, 3 hours prior? What about x number of hours later?

I had great success preventing diarrea taking probiotics 2-3hrs before & and 2-3hrs after antibiotics.
    "Let your food be your medicine" - Hippocrates

thanks guys even tho I read that anti-biotics are likely to make probiotics less effective instead of vice versa I still wanted to hear your experiences cause I don't want to take more of the antibiotics than I have to!
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    I think it's not only a good idea to take probiotics with antibiotics, but an essential one.

I ended up with a case of c. diff after treating a UTI with Augmentin, which had always wreaked havoc on my intestines but never before to that extent. Since that nasty experience, I now do everything I can to make sure that the antibiotics I take don't get an opportunity to throw my digestive tract out of whack.

--THC
    what exactly is c. diff and what are the symptoms?

when i had that staph and picc line they were giving me these super antibiotics, i managed not to even once have a loose stool by eating a ton of all natural yogurt daily
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    I searched to find the consensus on this but there's mostly links to questions about if it's ok. I found this as the most authoritative resource. Do you guys take them together when you have a uti? The hospital gave me a klebsiella uti from a cystogram and I'm taking macrobid. thanks.
    The time I had a cystogram and urodynamics I made the urologist give me a 500mg Cipro just before each, to murder any bugs before they got a chance to do their thing.

When I was recently in the hospital with a foley, I did the same. I didn't get any uti's and I figure that's why. Good luck Les, probiotics can't hurt while on a course of antibiotics, but can surely help.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!