Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking probiotics and antibiotics concurrently

Taking probiotics and antibiotics concurrently

I searched to find the consensus on this but there's mostly links to questions about if it's ok. I found this as the most authoritative resource. Do you guys take them together when you have a uti? The hospital gave me a klebsiella uti from a cystogram and I'm taking macrobid. thanks.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

I think it's not only a good idea to take probiotics with antibiotics, but an essential one.

I ended up with a case of c. diff after treating a UTI with Augmentin, which had always wreaked havoc on my intestines but never before to that extent. Since that nasty experience, I now do everything I can to make sure that the antibiotics I take don't get an opportunity to throw my digestive tract out of whack.

--THC

Take the probiotics three hours prior! Same time = pointless!
    And the truth shall set you free.

Currently taking Levaquin for a rare UTI .. I think it's especially important to take probiotics now!

In fact I've been feeling sluggish and dragging when I realized I wasn't drinking my Dan-Activ ... felt better within two days.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BC...en_by_Internet

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    Take the probiotics three hours prior! Same time = pointless!
    Is that the best plan, then, 3 hours prior? What about x number of hours later?

I had great success preventing diarrea taking probiotics 2-3hrs before & and 2-3hrs after antibiotics.
    "Let your food be your medicine" - Hippocrates

thanks guys even tho I read that anti-biotics are likely to make probiotics less effective instead of vice versa I still wanted to hear your experiences cause I don't want to take more of the antibiotics than I have to!
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

when i had that staph and picc line they were giving me these super antibiotics, i managed not to even once have a loose stool by eating a ton of all natural yogurt daily
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    I think it's not only a good idea to take probiotics with antibiotics, but an essential one.

I ended up with a case of c. diff after treating a UTI with Augmentin, which had always wreaked havoc on my intestines but never before to that extent. Since that nasty experience, I now do everything I can to make sure that the antibiotics I take don't get an opportunity to throw my digestive tract out of whack.

--THC
    what exactly is c. diff and what are the symptoms?

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    thanks guys even tho I read that anti-biotics are likely to make probiotics less effective instead of vice versa I still wanted to hear your experiences cause I don't want to take more of the antibiotics than I have to!
    Antibiotics kill a lot of the bacteria in your stomach as well as where you have an infection. The probiotics will replenish the healthy stomach bacteria needed for proper digestion. Taking probiotics before antibiotics or after will certainly not hurt anything.

The main thing is to take the probiotics after you have completed the antibiotic prescription to help restore proper digestion.