Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is This The Right Place?

Smile

Sent you a private message. Look forward to hearing from you.

hello Steph, so sorry to hear about your husband. You have found the right place though, there are many here dealing with TBI although most just SCI, I guess im one of the lucky ones that gets to taste both worlds yay me
    T6/T7 Incomplete Since June 7th 2008
    Walking part-time with KAFOs & Walker
    *Never Quit Pushing*

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=20290962

Hi Kimmel,

Nice to meet you. It is nice to meet people who do understand what I am going through - I never thought I would be so lucky.

Both a TBI and SCI? Wow. I cannot even imagine. Life sure has a way of throwing people curve balls... I know I wasn't expecting to spend the holidays in ICU. How are you coping with the life changes? Do you have a good support network? Please, if I can be of any help... I have a good ear.

Marmalady, thank you for the resources. I had found the TBI Forum previously, but there is not much activity like there is here. The other one is actually really nice and new for me. All the resources I can find are a definite step in the right direction.

Chiappa, a big, enormous thank you!

Regards,
    Steph
    "There ain't no reasons things are this way.. It's how they've always been and they intend to stay... I can't explain why we live this way.. We do it everyday... But love will come set me free" ~Brett Dennen

First,I would strongly encourage you to apply for him to go to the TBI rehab program at Palo Alto. If you cannot get anyone to help with this or he is turned down, first talk with the patient advocate at your VA. If they cannot or will not help you, contact the local office of your Congressperson and tell them you story. They can send an official Congressional inquiry to the director of your VA hospital, which they MUST respond to within 72 hours. I can guarantee these get attention at the highest level.

In addition, if you have not yet contacted the Paralyzed Veterans of America or the Disabled American Veterans and asked for their help help with this, I would strongly urge you to do so. The PVA has recently taken an interest in brain injured veterans, not just those with SCI. You can find a list of NSO (National Service Officers) offices under the benefits section of www.pva.org

You can also post questions on this for the Veteran Advisor on our Veteran's Forum here at CareCure.

(KLD)

Thanks, KLD! I will most definitely contact my Congressman. I asked his case manager about it today, and he almost snickered at me as he told me they do not do things like that. I have been trying for a while to get him into a neuro rehab unit, but the only options I have will not take him without the VA paying or if he has Medicaid/Medicare.

Honestly, I am trying so hard to make things work, and sometimes, it feels like I keep running into large brick walls. Ouch. I do appreciate the advice... I was not aware this could be a possibility.

Many Thanks!

Steph
    "There ain't no reasons things are this way.. It's how they've always been and they intend to stay... I can't explain why we live this way.. We do it everyday... But love will come set me free" ~Brett Dennen