Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Quad Transfer Videos??

Quad Transfer Videos??

I am new to this site/SCI, and one of my big goals is to be able to transfer myself. Are there any C5/6 quads who could help me out with learning to transfer/daily living stuff? My outpatient therapists try to "show / tell" me how to do it, but I would learn much better from watching someone who actually does it everyday

I tried the links at the top of this forum, but most of them did not work??

THANKS!!

Kyle
    Inc C4 since Oct 07

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing" - Optimus Prime

Yeah I tried watching some of the videos too and some of them no longer work. I want to learn how to transfer without the board (not sure I can) but I watched Shaun's and I need to try his technique out I think I got what he's doing after watching it a dozen times.

mods can u guys fix the vids of mine.

kyle, its doable.

tell me about what u have that works. triceps arent necessary. there are several of us quads w/out tri's that are ind w/ everything.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I hope they can fix the videos..

I have biceps, shoulders, lats, deltoids, pecs, forearm muscles, some trunk/back muscles, i can pick my left wrist up, as far as triceps i can straighten my arm out to the side but i cant lift over my head ...... yet

my docs @ Magee rehab say im functioning b/t a 5/6 - i think have the muscles to transfer myself??

What muscles are mainly used to "overcompensate" for the triceps???

thx!
    Inc C4 since Oct 07

I'm a C-6 quad and have been able to transfer for a long time. I can transfer in and out of bed, into/out of cars, and my shower bench. This has been hugely important in allowing me to live on my own and only needing an aide in the morning because at night i can transfer myself into bed and then undress myself.

Besides the obvious need for enough strength and technique to transfer, there are a few products that assist me in transfering that i don't think i could transfer without.

1. My dycem wheelchair pushing cuffs in the link i'll post below. I was given these gloves initially to help push my wheelchair, but they ended up helping in many other ways. I use them to help me write, brush my teeth, use kitchen untensils, and other things that i can slide in the gloves. They also help me transfer because the dycem is sticky and it helps my one hand stick somewhat to the transfer board as i'm transfering. I tried once for the hell of it to transfer without these cuffs and my had kept slipping right off the board. Here is the link in case you don't use any cuffs.

http://www.healthmegamall.com/prodVi...494_p16118.htm

2. I'm not sure if you use a manuel wheelchair or an electric chair, but i use a Quickie manuel chair. When i was in rehab trying how to learn how to transfer, i'd often get close to being able to transfer, but never could quite do it without some help. One day work was being done on my chair and i was in one of those crappy metal chairs you see in every hospital. Well, the therapist grabbed one of these transfer boards i had never seen that had an about 4 inch metal pin screwed to the bottom of the board that fit into the hole of the crappy standard metal wheelchair when you pull out the air rest. With the pin from the board in that hole, i didn't have to struggle with trying to get the transfer board underneath my butt and also then have that board sticking right up in the air. Instead, the board with the metal pin sitting in the hole from the arm rest being out, the board went fright from where i'd start to transfer on to the bed i was trying to transfer on. I noticed that this made my transfer go easier.

So my rehab therapist got back my regular Quickie wheelchair and got someone to weld a 2-3 inch long tube on each side of my wheelchair right near where the brake is. This allowed for that one transfer board with the metal peg attached to the bottom of the board to fit in either tube that's on each side of my chair. It didn't take all that long after those modifications for me to figure out how to transfer on my own. To show how much these modifications helped, even after having transfered for years by myself, one day a piece broke off the bottom of that transfer board that was holding the peg on it. So until it got fixed, i had to use a regular transfer board in my closet that i never use and i struggled quite a bit trying to transfer.

I've looked online at multiple sites that sell transfer boards and i don't see any that sell the board that i was given about 15 years ago and have used since. I'll try to remember to have my daughter take a picture of both the transfer board i use and the small metal tubes i have on my chair that the board slides into if you'd like to see them?Let me know. I'm not sure if you could get either or both of these things for yourself, but both did wonders in helping me learn to transfer along with making transfering easier now that i've been transfering for a long time. To this day i wonder why this board isn't common.

oh hell ya, youll get it. u have more firing than i do and im ind.

biggest thing right now, get strong, bulk up. to live like i do w/out tri's and transfering it beats your shoulders so they need to be crazy strong.

i certainly hoping your in a manual, its very important to being strong and ind.

few tips.
    1. use adi board w/ ant slip
    2. pledge the board once a week-keeps it crazy slick.
    3. when transfering out of chair jam the board under your cushion--keeps the board from kicking out.
    4. run a short frt end on your chair-lets u get closer to things to transfer
    5. learn to fall , it will happen
    6. a key thing to trans w/out tri's is a good braking sys so the chair doesnt move. d's locks rock

ask away, i love helping ppl who want to actually be ind and not be lazy asses

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tuna View Post
    I hope they can fix the videos..

I have biceps, shoulders, lats, deltoids, pecs, forearm muscles, some trunk/back muscles, i can pick my left wrist up, as far as triceps i can straighten my arm out to the side but i cant lift over my head ...... yet

my docs @ Magee rehab say im functioning b/t a 5/6 - i think have the muscles to transfer myself??

What muscles are mainly used to "overcompensate" for the triceps???

thx!
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

my links are back up
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Thanks for all the tips guys!

-I have a pair of push/transfer gloves that I got from ADI they rock
    - I have a sliding Beazy board as a backup for when my lift breaks, but i am going to look into the anti-slip board to start practicing with
    -I'm currently in a power chair, I'm in the middle of revising my GTX that they set me up with when I first got out of therapy as a backup, new wheels, casters, and backrest ... once I get stronger and I'm in my manual chair more I want to look into getting a rigid chair
    - falling scares me to death! How do you "learn to" to fall??

I'm so glad I found this site! Most of the quads I've ever met are fat, lazy, dependent, and stuck in power chairs .... SCREW THAT!
    Inc C4 since Oct 07

When I click the link to videos I always get a file not found.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

try now, they work 4 me.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com