Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oxycontin 3 times a day?

Oxycontin 3 times a day?

Does anyone else think oxycontin doesn't last 12 hrs?

I'm waiting for my doctor to get back to me wether or not Ican take 3 times a day instead of twice. I'm currently on 120mg twice a day & oramorph 3 times & diazepam 2 times daily.

Any thoughts?

What doses are you lot on if any or morphine sulphate too.....

Is it right that 10mg of oxycontin is equal to 20mg of MST making oxycontin twice the strength of morphine sulphare mg for mg?

Cheers all.
    C-5 incomplete , walking with crutches. In controlled pain. Respect to all SCI people.

oxycontin definitely doesn't last 12 hours , 3 times a day is the norm, i found it didn't last 8 hours , more like 6 , but i was on a lower dose
    cauda equina

Agree... it doesn't last 12 hours. I think for me it works 8 hrs. - Oxycontin is best given 3 times a day.
    About narcotic conversion charts - there are lots of them on the internet.
    Here is one:
    http://algosresearch.org/PracticeToo...alculator.html
    It does state that 1 mg of oxycodone (the narc of oxycontin) is equivalent to 2 of Morphine Sulfate oral. But I don't think these are hard and fast comparisons and there probably is a lot of individual variation. But it is a starting point.
    Hope that helps.....
    jon

Thanks. It works real well for me, just don't last long enough.
    C-5 incomplete , walking with crutches. In controlled pain. Respect to all SCI people.

I take 10 mg Oxycontin 3 times a day and I find that it only lasts 4-5 hours . I also take the max of Gabapentin (1200mg x3) . This is the max I want to take re: constipation. Is anyone taking anything else for pain that they have found effective ?

brentcox65

So by this calc. I am taking 9mg of Hydromorphone CR (controlled release) twice daily. As well 150mg Lyrica twice daily (any more and I just don't feel "right") among numerous other drugs. What would the comparison be to the other drugs on the list. I am just curious as when speaking with others who are taking other meds on the chart I.E. 50mg Oxy or 120mg Morphine Sulf Etc, I would like to compare thier successes or not when speaking with my doc. regarding possible refills or trying something else. THanks
    BigBossMan Wuz Here.....

Quote Originally Posted by bigbossman26 View Post
    I am just curious as when speaking with others who are taking other meds on the chart I.E. 50mg Oxy or 120mg Morphine Sulf Etc, I would like to compare thier successes or not when speaking with my doc. regarding possible refills or trying something else. THanks

I have taken various doses of Oxycontin, Morphine Sulphate, Methadone and Buprenorphine and its these 'stronger' opiates that work well for me.

Oxycontin = good but dont last 12 hrs.
    MST = good all round but need to up dose every 3 month or so.
    Methadone = good but bad name and hard to come off.
    Bup.... Patches, I wouldnt recomend.

Try for 30mg - 60mg MST 2/3 times daily or 40mg Oxycontin 2/3 times.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by brentcox65 View Post
    I take 10 mg Oxycontin 3 times a day and I find that it only lasts 4-5 hours . I also take the max of Gabapentin (1200mg x3) . This is the max I want to take re: constipation. Is anyone taking anything else for pain that they have found effective ?

brentcox65
    I presume you're taking the gabapentin for neuropathic pain. It's not unusual to go above the traditional "max" of 3600mg/day when it's used for this purpose, if you're able to tolerate it. It's also common to combine it with a tricyclic antidepressant such as Elavil. Both gabapentin and Elavil help calm the nerve pain signals.

I used to take 3600 mg of Neurontin, 1200 mg three times a day. It didn't really help as much as it should've so I tried a whole bunch of narcotics with very little results from them.I took OxyContin, methadone, had Dilauded in my pump, tried Prialt (anybody that knows me here knows to stay away from that drug) and of all the stuff that I've tried, the two things I use to take care of my pain now is the occasional Percocet and then I just grin and bear it. I guess you can look at it as just one way to know that you're alive.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Oxycodone as well as other narcotics is useful at low dose. If starting on drugs like Oxycontin 80mg, three time daily, than tolerance quickly goes up and effects appear to last shorter. I started on 10mg which indeed lasted 12 hours. The more I was prescribed, the shorter the effects and an 80mg tablet eventually lasted no longer than 5 hours. I recall waking up in the night after this time in need of another tablet. Worse, once adjusted to higher dosage there is really no way back to a low dose regimen. I now only take Neurontin and a Keterolac against the pain if truly needed.