Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overnight bed bags? Tube pulling?

Question Overnight bed bags? Tube pulling?

I need a better way to hang the tube in bed. It pulls unless I loop it. & urine seems to backflow. Is there any different way to hang the tube off the side of the bed so it drains straight without pulling? I use a 4000 cc bard bag. Are there any other large bags or systems to try?
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Medline also makes a 4000 cc. bag. It is OK to loop on the bed, or to hang a loop over the side of the bed as long as the loop is always above the level of the bag itself. Are you using an external condom catheter (ECC) or an indwelling catheter? I assume if you have an indwelling catheter that you are securing it to your body to prevent tension or pistoning of the catheter.

(KLD)

No I don't strap it to my leg.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

i'm female and have feeling so can tell if my foley is being pulled. having said that, my nightbag sits in a small (bathroom size) plastic waste can on the floor in case of leakage (night bags, i've found over the years, develop leaks easily). both the catheter and nightbag tubing are left unsecured. no problems. and i turn myself several times. first thing i do with new nightbag is remove that securing clamp

Indwelling catheter should always be secured to your body. For men, this is best done on the abdomen (both urethral and SP indwelling) while women do fine with securing to the thigh (switching sides periodically to avoid too much pressure on one side of the labia).

There is plenty of evidence that shows that unsecured catheters significantly increase the risks for both UTI and inadvertent/accidental catheter removal (ouch!).

(KL)

if my indwelling is secured to my body, my mobility and its drainage are severely impaired. and i have had minimal uti's over 23 yrs. but that's me. i can't explain it. maybe i'm lucky.

i've only had an accidental removal from a careless caregiver. never from moving in bed, transferring, etc. but then, i can feel if it's being pulled. definitely lucky there.

if you just run it into a plastic bottle the air pressure seems to make it flow better.

Quote Originally Posted by lurch View Post
    if you just run it into a plastic bottle the air pressure seems to make it flow better.
    i quit bed bags cuz of leaks..i use 4 liter juice jugs easy to handle and clean and i just buy tubing.

I change the bag every month & have never had many leaks. Only nurses that leave bag open.

i have a little drawer like a night stand that i hook mine to it works pretty good
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]