Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: On Darwin's Birthday, Gallup Poll shows that only 4 in 10 believe in Evolution

Bob,
    Thank you for that post, I didn't know such priest existed much less were allowed to express their views. I do feel sorry for Fr. Coyne he is in a terrible tug of war with his religious faith and scientific facts. He did say he could not prove the existence of God, but also said, if a person denies the existence of God that person is morally evil.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCO View Post
    Bob,
    Thank you for that post, I didn't know such priest existed much less were allowed to express their views. I do feel sorry for Fr. Coyne he is in a terrible tug of war with his religious faith and scientific facts. He did say he could not prove the existence of God, but also said, if a person denies the existence of God that person is morally evil.
    Hi SKYCO,

Not only do they exist but Father Coyne is the director of the Vatican Observatory... ooops... I just looked. He was the director... he retired in August 2006 and is now the President of the Vatican Observatory Foundation. Still a big wig in the Vatican hierarchy.

The Roman Catholic Church will need to get up to date in their doctrine or people just won't buy... and I mean buy... their brand of Christianity. Too old school. They may need to hold a 3rd Vatican Council to bring the church into the 21st century. Though lots of people like the secrecy and pageantry of the Roman Catholic Church. My Mom for one. God is mysterious so why not the church!

The Vatican Observatory, one of the oldest astronomical research institutions in the world, has its headquarters at the papal summer residence in Castel Gandolfo, Italy, outside Rome. Its dependent research center, the Vatican Observatory Research Group, is hosted by Steward Observatory at the University of Arizona, Tucson, USA.
    Fr. Coyne or director Coyne has a rather rough time with miracles. Only owning up to the two on which the whole Christian Bible is based... the virgin birth and the resurrection. I don't think you can call yourself a Christian and not believe in those two. He's torn!

I didn't hear him say that people who don't believe in God are morally evil. That doesn't sound like the Fr. Coyne that I've come to know and love! Are you sure he said that?

Science is science and faith is faith.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

I didn't hear him say that people who don't believe in God are morally evil. That doesn't sound like the Fr. Coyne that I've come to know and love! Are you sure he said that?

Yeah, it's in the first video @ 1:02 min., maybe I took it out of context?

Maybe if more people just watched cartoons...

"So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    it really doesn't take much study, imo, to prove species evolve. it's the whole man/ape/bible thing that some religious ppl focus on that mixes it up. i don't know why they do this. one can believe in a god and know evolution is a fact at the same time.

why do antibiotics fail after prolonged use? come on. the cells adapt, i.e. evolve. this is fact.

As I understand it, the real problem that fundamentalists have with evolution is that it removes the need for 'salvation', and the need to accept Jesus as your 'personal savior'. Specifically, for a literal believer in the bible, Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden - as a result of this, all humans are born in a state of 'Original Sin' - to rectify that, Jesus was born and sacrificed himself, to absolve us from this.

So - to a fundamentalist - accepting evolution also means acknowledging that the Garden of Eden story is a myth. If it's a myth - no original sin, no need for salvation; it undercuts the basis of their beliefs.

This is why biblical literalists cannot and will not compromise on evolution. As long as they pin their faith on a literal interpretation of Old Testament stories, they have no philosophical room to accept modern biology.

Education is the key, but there are many that don't wish to be educated because it would mean abandoning their spiritual comfort zone.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    As I understand it, the real problem that fundamentalists have with evolution is that it removes the need for 'salvation', and the need to accept Jesus as your 'personal savior'. Specifically, for a literal believer in the bible, Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden - as a result of this, all humans are born in a state of 'Original Sin' - to rectify that, Jesus was born and sacrificed himself, to absolve us from this.

So - to a fundamentalist - accepting evolution also means acknowledging that the Garden of Eden story is a myth. If it's a myth - no original sin, no need for salvation; it undercuts the basis of their beliefs.

This is why biblical literalists cannot and will not compromise on evolution. As long as they pin their faith on a literal interpretation of Old Testament stories, they have no philosophical room to accept modern biology.

Education is the key, but there are many that don't wish to be educated because it would mean abandoning their spiritual comfort zone.
    JimD,
    That is the way I understand it also. It's good thing these fundamentalist didn't hold the story of Jack and the Beanstalk dear to their hearts, we would be genetically engineering bean plants to grow into the heavens.

Ahhh God?... scaring the living piss out of humankind for eons and still going strong