Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: On Darwin's Birthday, Gallup Poll shows that only 4 in 10 believe in Evolution

Maybe if some of our leaders went back to school?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Cc8t3Zd5E

Banned
    I believe in Evolution .A short example ....Birds who could not fly are flying and their eye vision improved to be able to locate their pray.
    Something that is well diagnosed can be cured well."Hail Caesar! Those who are about to die salute you!" - Said by gladiators before they fought. Often cited with "salutamus" ("we . . . salute") in place of "salutant."

The evidence for evolution is much deeper and more convincing than just Carbon-14 dating. The strongest direct evidence of evolution lies in our genes. We know that genes carry the information that make us. So, for example, somatic cell nuclear transfer from a skin cell into an egg would produce an organism that is very similar to the person from whom the nucleus comes from. Analysis of the DNA in the nucleus reveals genes that we share with many other organisms. The further the organisms are from us in terms of time and place, the less gene sequences we share. On the other hand, it is amazing how many genes we actually do share, not only with other animals but with plants and bacteria.

When I asked my students how to that information was relevant to evolution, one student suggested that perhaps God put the genes there just to fool scientists. Perhaps this is so. However, I would much prefer to believe that evolution and genes are part of God.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    The evidence for evolution is much deeper and more convincing than just Carbon-14 dating. The strongest direct evidence of evolution lies in our genes. We know that genes carry the information that make us. So, for example, somatic cell nuclear transfer from a skin cell into an egg would produce an organism that is very similar to the person from whom the nucleus comes from. Analysis of the DNA in the nucleus reveals genes that we share with many other organisms. The further the organisms are from us in terms of time and place, the less gene sequences we share. On the other hand, it is amazing how many genes we actually do share, not only with other animals but with plants and bacteria.

When I asked my students how to that information was relevant to evolution, one student suggested that perhaps God put the genes there just to fool scientists. Perhaps this is so. However, I would much prefer to believe that evolution and genes are part of God.

Wise.
    Wise,
    What "GOD" are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCO View Post
    Wise,
    What "GOD" are you referring to?
    I am not sure that I understand your question. Obviously, I am referring to the God that I believe in. If you are suggesting that I am not referring to your "GOD", perhaps that is true, but I am not sure what your definition of GOD is. To me, evolution is part of God. If you don't think so, then your definition is not mine.

Wise.

I am not sure that I understand your question. Obviously, I am referring to the God that I believe in. If you are suggesting that I am not referring to your "GOD", perhaps that is true, but I am not sure what your definition of GOD is. To me, evolution is part of God. If you don't think so, then your definition is not mine.

Wise.
    I was just wondering, because most of the "Gods/God" I have heard of are based on myth and not scientific fact.
    Last edited by SKYCO; 04-11-2009 at 12:21 AM.

I think most people probably don't know what the word "evolution" means, so it would be pretty tough for them to grasp the concept.

Those numbers for college grads are even more disturbing, but I'm not that surprised. A college degree does not necessarily equal intelligence. Jay Leno periodically does a game show type segment, and the contestants are not actors, but actual college attendees or graduates. He asks them the same kinds of questions he uses on his "Jaywalking" segment, for example "Who was president during the Civil War?", and they rarely get it right. What is astonishing is how these people get into college without knowing elementary-school-level information.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCO View Post
    I was just wondering, because most of the "Gods/God" I have heard of are based on myth and not scientific fact.
    I will not throw away facts to fit some person's fanciful idea of a God or creation. I know and respect theologians who have thought deeply and carefully about the issues of science and God. In my opinion, while the two are not the same, the two must be compatible with each other. For example, there are many things that science does not and presently cannot explain. In such cases, faith must suffice. However, when scientific knowledge increases and ideas of faith turn out to be wrong, I think we must not force science to accommodate to wrong notions.

For example, at the time the Bible was written, semitic people who lived in a desert had very limited experience with the diversity of life on this planet. Thus, for such people and at that time, it made sense to make up a myth about Noah and the Great Ark that held pairs of all the creatures of the earth. We now know of course that this is impossible. No man-made ark could possibly hold all the species of the earth, even if only a pair of each were allowed. Clearly, the ark could not have included millions of insect species, fish, plants, bacteria, and so on. No flood covered the entire surface of the earth.

What our education has failed to teach our students is that evolution is a fact. It is a fact that we are genetically related to all other living species. It is a fact that the history of earth is much older than the 6000 years specified by some interpretations of the Bible. It is a fact that animals and plants evolved, i.e. changed over time due to selective pressure. It is a fact that people, animals, and plants have not always been the same as they are today. The failure of our education system to teach students these facts is reprehensible.

The failure of our education system to teach our students what is not known about evolution is also reprehensible. For example, while we know that selective pressure plays a role in evolution, we are only now beginning to understand other factors that influence evolution. Diseases, sexual selection, and epigenetic transmission of traits are only some of the many factors that affect evolution. Within the field of genetics, there is still so much to learn.

The discovery of stem cells has challenged much of what we know and think about biology. There is no question that stem cells are a very powerful tool that allow an organism to keep a few pluripotent stem cells around instead of armies of differentiated progenitor cells every time some tissue repair needs to be done. But, at the same time, stem cells are very dangerous. How do they know what to do in different tissues?

If a stem cell were to creep into your spinal cord and made a toenail there, that would probably hit the Guiness book of World Records, as one of the rarest and most improbable achievements of a cell. But, why doesn't something like this happen more often? The fact that if doesn't already tells us that there is an incredible system in our body that tells each cell what to produce and how many. It is a system that we know almost nothing about.

The fact that we can put human stem cells into a mouse and the cell knows what to do as it goes into the various tissues of the mouse is amazing, isn't it. My reaction to this is that the mouse tissues must be talking to the human stem cells and the human stem cells must be able to understand what the mouse cells are saying. The reaction of intelligent design advocates would be to attribute this fact to God or the Intelligent Designer.

Wise.

Wise.
    A little trivia first.

Both Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin were born on the same day and an ocean apart, February 12, 1809. There are a few books that speak to this fact/coincidence. One being "Angels and Ages: A Short Book About Darwin, Lincoln, and Modern Life" by Adam Gopnik.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise
    The evidence for evolution is much deeper and more convincing than just Carbon-14 dating. The strongest direct evidence of evolution lies in our genes........

........The further the organisms are from us in terms of time and place, the less gene sequences we share.
    Micro and macro.

Doesn't the periodic table and the number of electrons that revolve around the nucleus of certain atoms show by their (atomic) numbers (common or widespread versus rarity) that all matter probably started out as hydrogen (1 electron) and due to the conditions of space through time and the theories of chance, randomness and chaos etc. that even non-living things "naturally" or progressively go from simple to complex via successful and unsuccessful interactions? I didn't explain myself very well and now I'm in a rush against nature... my feet are swelling up (edema) and I gotta get the hell outta this chair. Like soon!

I'll let Father George V. Coyne, director of the Vatican Observatory, speak to his comfort level in regards to evolution and God. He welcomes honest scientific discovery and theory in the light of his faith. In effect- bring it on.

I've watched this video a half dozen times. It's a fascinating presentation and is made more enjoyable with the good Father's good sense of humor.

Fr. George V. Coyne, director of the Vatican Observatory in a very special presentation on the intersection of scientific method and religious faith in the pursuit of humanity's deepest and oldest questions. Presented by the Fleet Science Center.

Reflections From a Religious Tradition on the Evolution of Intelligent Life in the Universe

Below Fr. Coyne is interviewed by Dennis Mammana. I watched it for the first time tonight. Another interesting discussion on the topic. If a Catholic Jesuit father can find harmony in these two seemingly incongruous schools of thought then most of us should at least be able to see the possibility.

Join the Fleet Science Center's Dennis Mammana as he hosts the director of the Vatican Observatory, Fr. George V. Coyne, in a wide ranging discussion on science, religion and the interplay of faith and reason.

While scampering about at YouTube I found this video. I haven't watched it yet but it's Richard Dawkins and Fr. George Coyne together. I imagine I'm in for another interesting discussion perhaps sprinkled with a bit of argument.

This should keep everyone busy for awhile.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

it really doesn't take much study, imo, to prove species evolve. it's the whole man/ape/bible thing that some religious ppl focus on that mixes it up. i don't know why they do this. one can believe in a god and know evolution is a fact at the same time.

why do antibiotics fail after prolonged use? come on. the cells adapt, i.e. evolve. this is fact.