Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: On Darwin's Birthday, Gallup Poll shows that only 4 in 10 believe in Evolution

On Darwin's Birthday, Gallup Poll shows that only 4 in 10 believe in Evolution

This is one of the most depressing stories that I have read this year.
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/114544/Da...Evolution.aspx

PRINCETON, NJ -- On the eve of the 200th anniversary of Charles Darwin's birth, a new Gallup Poll shows that only 39% of Americans say they "believe in the theory of evolution," while a quarter say they do not believe in the theory, and another 36% don't have an opinion either way. These attitudes are strongly related to education and, to an even greater degree, religiosity.

The astonishing finding is not that the proportion of believers increase with education but that nearly half of college graduates do not believe in evolution.

Wise.

interesting. When your educated , you have the ability to look at things with facts , not faith.
    oh well

why does evolution even conflict with religion? i don't get that at all. any all knowing being would have evolution in the "plan," seems to me. it's not a question of apes evolving into man, in my mind. who knows about that? but evolution, to me, has clearly been shown in some species. that doesn't mean god does or does not exist. i do not understand the argument and never will.

darwin, btw, had his own agenda, being a religious man and then losing his young daughter.

What a sad statement about the "dumbing down" of American students. Blind faith allows refuting scientific facts........sad.

Attachment 28687

Lately I've been thinking there will always be large numbers of people in the world who have to believe in a creation myth. It's just a bummer that there are so many of them in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    why does evolution even conflict with religion? i don't get that at all.
    It doesn't have to conflict with believing in a god or gods. But it does
    conflict with specific religious beliefs. If you believe in dinosaurs or the
    fossil evidence of prehistoric man, then how can you believe that our
    planet is less than 6,000 years old?

The only religious text that even comes close to the theory of
    evolution is the Qur’an. It claims that: god created every living
    creature from water. Some of them go on their bellies, some of
    them on two legs, and some on four.

Everything did evolve from water, but I still don't believe that a
    god created anything. It took billions of years and a massive
    meteorite to produce modern humans and that is a fact.

I wish I had a decent comment about this but when it comes down to it, it just plain sucks. A lot of people I've known throughout my life who are short on education have a much higher belief in creationism. I don't know if there's anything wrong with that, maybe they do see something I can't. Then again, maybe I see something they can't, you never know.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    maybe I see something they can't,
    Yeah, fossils.

I think the tragedy of the whole evolution issue is that darwin's theory of evolution has come to be inextricably linked in the minds of many religious conservatives with a certain theory of creation and the beginning of time.

Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection is his great contribution to science, and I do not think any rational educated person can deny that natural selection takes place.

Wise, did they factor in 25 percent of Americans are retarded?
    Han: "We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for"