Thread: Torn meniscus cure time?

Torn meniscus cure time?

How long does it take for this to cure itself? I had pain and got a scan on it. Doctor said it was torn and it will heal itself. Its been a while.

Meniscus can't really heal in my understanding. I had 60% of mine taken out in my right knee because it doesn't have the necessary vascularization to heal. My brother had his torn right down the center and had a very progressive surgery to suture the parts back together and isolate the knee from any movement for almost 2 months to let the sutures bind the halves together. Hell, I don't know. But I do believe, being left alone will not get it to "cure" itself. But then... I'm no doctor!

Good luck!

That was my understanding as well.

Tore mine in the late 50s and it never healed by the middle 70s when I had it surgically repaired. Never had any problems since. It never healed by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Shooter View Post
    Tore mine in the late 50s and it never healed by the middle 70s when I had it surgically repaired. Never had any problems since. It never healed by itself.

That does not sound good.

The lack of self healing, IMHO, is probably due to limited or lack of blood supply and stem cells. But I am not a doctor, just guessing about why the menisucs will not heal itself.