Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: chinese food

Ginger is good for soothing the stomach & helping with motion sickness too. One time flying I was getting nauseous and the flight attendant gave me some ginger candy it really helped.

Don't like tea try some ginger ale
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmel21 View Post
    chinese food makes my mouth water and my pants grow in the crotch area
    My friend calls that a 'Food On' as in: "OMG! Look at that pizza, its given me a raging Food On!"

He's a strange boy...
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

hmmm, i'll have to look into ginger tea. i do know that rooibos tea is just as effective as prescription strength naproxen at relieving menstrual cramps.
    Last edited by antiquity; 02-26-2009 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post

Have you tried Pepto-Bismol? I know some folk who swear it helps soothe them.
    I think Scott has similar ab pain as me and it's not really anything like an upset stomach or stomach ache. To me it's a weird constant pain that radiates to different places. Some days it's faint enough that if I keep busy I can almost forget it, other days I can barely move. I guess my point is when I tell someone my stomach hurts they tell me the same thing..."what did you eat? take pepto! take antacids!" It's hard to describe the pain.

Scott have you considered that it may just be neuropain that is manifesting in your gut...or that your digestive system has for some reason developed hyper sensitive nerves? I know I don't want to believe it either. How is the nexium and carafate treating you?
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Scott have you considered that it may just be neuropain that is manifesting in your gut...or that your digestive system has for some reason developed hyper sensitive nerves? I know I don't want to believe it either. How is the nexium and carafate treating you?
    i'm definitely oversensitive, any overstimulation is my downfall [plus i'm just a sensitive guy ]. i think my system is still trying to move too fast, & i'm prbly adding to the problem w/ my bowel program.

the carafate really didn't help... made things worse, if anything. i think the nexium helped a bit, but when taking 2 or 3 per day, i felt worse. so now i'm at 1/day. might d/c & see what happens.
    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

Nov, yea, I know it likely isnt really a tummy ache or anything like that, but having more to do with the entire digestive system, from upper down to the lower, as it seems all connected, from the type of food being ingested (and some immediate reactions) to effects that are felt days later and down toward his bowels, including rectal stimulation. But, as far as Scott feels that foods might be having some positive effects, I was wondering if those particular foods, incl. pepto, might be having some soothing effects (possibly even if just coating tissue/lining), even if just immediate and temporary.

However, it could be that those foods could just be NOT causing irritation or aggravating whatever is going on, thus not triggering or exacerbating the pains. So, Scott, maybe look at what foods you do eat that seems to trigger more pain, and see if there's any relationship there.

Also, when you say "ab" pain, is it localized in some specific area or just general all over ab pain, including up your esophagus and pain in your chest? So, has any damage been identified via endoscopy etc.? Esophagitis, Ulcers, swelling, etc? Reflux or other related issues? So, if Nexium has been helping, do you know how and what it's exactly addressing/treating?

Nov, has treating acid with the meds (I forget all you've tried) helped you in some way?

I don't think either of you just have just gastric reflux issues, but it's a symptom for both of you, which has been relieved with Rx antacid meds?

Nov, fyi never trust any "republican" who claims to be sensitive

For example - just a quick look up on Peptic Ulcer

Symptoms of a peptic ulcer can be

• abdominal pain, classically epigastric with severity relating to mealtimes, after around 3 hours of taking a meal (duodenal ulcers are classically relieved by food, while gastric ulcers are exacerbated by it);
    • bloating and abdominal fullness;
    • waterbrash (rush of saliva after an episode of regurgitation to dilute the acid in esophagus);
    • nausea, and lots of vomiting;
    • loss of appetite and weight loss;
    • hematemesis (vomiting of blood); this can occur due to bleeding directly from a gastric ulcer, or from damage to the esophagus from severe/continuing vomiting.
    • melena (tarry, foul-smelling feces due to oxidized iron from hemoglobin);
    • rarely, an ulcer can lead to a gastric or duodenal perforation. This is extremely painful and requires immediate surgery.
    Last edited by chick; 02-26-2009 at 02:05 PM.

I was diagnosed with bile gastritis through a scope. The nexium and carafate did nothing for me. I tried them for 2 or 3 mnths. I learned nexium isn't generally recommended long term and takes calcium from your bones. GI put me on calcium pills because of this. Because I was getting no relief he said it was ok to stop it. No point taking it I suppose. I don't know if you read but I'm going to Craig's consulting GI in March. I hope he has some ideas because the last GI didn't want to pursue anything further, just recommeded anti-d for pain or go to pain dr for injections.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Yep, you mentioned going to Craig, and I hope they can better help you.

Many of the antacids (not such as TUMs) aren't meant for long-term, stating they shouldn't be used for any more than ~2wks at a time or so.

Are you maintaining a decent diet at least, and keeping weight up?

I love Chinese food. Can never get enough of it. Fortunately it does not cause me any problems

sorry to hear it.