Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chinese food

chinese food

i have an ongoing problem w/ abd pain for the past few years, however, anytime i eat chinese food [specifically -- chicken fried rice and sweet & sour chicken] i feel pretty darn good the next day. does anyone have any insight as to why this may be? i tend to do well w/ spaghetti & meat sauce[red], too.

my gi system doesn't do well when overly stimulated -- senna kills me. too much digstim or too much suppository cramps me up. too much roughage also tends to increase my pain. my gi tract has been over-activated for quite a while. so i'm guessing there's something in the ingredients that soothes the bowels. anybody have an idea what it could be?

i'm c5/6 complete, 7yrs post, 33y/o
    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

chinese food and chicken are 2 things that i can eat and always feel great afterwards. don't know why but i love them both and try to indulge as often as possible

ScottI don't think there's any method to the madness. On occasion, certain food has been easy to tolerate for me, then I will have it at a later date and I will get abdominal cramps so bad I can barely get out of bed. These past couple years have been a real guessing game for me as well when trying to determine my diet, it can become very frustrating I know.

I've come to believe that it's a number of things combined. Everything in moderation, try to stay active, make sure you get the required nutrition your body needs.

Total speculation but maybe ginger?

A friend has recently forced me to drink dandelion and ginger tea and I'm convinced it has made a difference to turmoil in my bladder and stomach.

Of course that could be because I've cut down on coffee.......
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino View Post
    Total speculation but maybe ginger?
    i think that definitely has something to do w/ it...
    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

Ginger wouldn't necessarily be in the chinese dishes like fried rice and sweet/sour, but could possibly be in the s/s, dep. on who makes it. Do you think ginger is added to your dishes? Have you the same effects when eating ginger specific dishes? Given that you have similar positive effects eating spaghetti, it likely is something else. Maybe it's more likely starch related? Or, are you more responsive to mild, non-spicy dishes? Or sweet? Fried rice tends to be pretty mild, and sweet/sour as well as spaghetti can be on the mild/sweet side (unless you order them extra spicy or w/added red peppers/flakes, which then leads us in this other direction). These dishes can also be fairly greasy, so could you be responding to that (the fats/oils)?

Have you tried ginger tea?

chinese food makes my mouth water and my pants grow in the crotch area
    T6/T7 Incomplete Since June 7th 2008
    Walking part-time with KAFOs & Walker
    *Never Quit Pushing*

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=20290962

Ginger tea is the most popular health product here now, for cold, for bad throat and for stomach flu
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Ginger wouldn't necessarily be in the chinese dishes like fried rice and sweet/sour, but could possibly be in the s/s, dep. on who makes it. Do you think ginger is added to your dishes? Have you the same effects when eating ginger specific dishes? Given that you have similar positive effects eating spaghetti, it likely is something else. Maybe it's more likely starch related? Or, are you more responsive to mild, non-spicy dishes? Or sweet? Fried rice tends to be pretty mild, and sweet/sour as well as spaghetti can be on the mild/sweet side (unless you order them extra spicy or w/added red peppers/flakes, which then leads us in this other direction). These dishes can also be fairly greasy, so could you be responding to that (the fats/oils)?

Have you tried ginger tea?
    what--just cuz ur asian u think u have this answer???

i just thought it may have something to do w/ it b/c i've heard from multiple sources that ginger should be able to help soothe my stomach. i'm not sure if they put it in there, but who knows. i also think the long grain rice is beneficial for me. ultimately, anything that triggers my bowels to move causes pain, & anything that takes it easy gives me relief. your point about the fats/oils makes me curious.

i should try the ginger tea. i'm just not much of a tea person.
    ...Mark Twain

...Winston Churchill

...George Bernard Shaw

We have all the answers, didn't you know that?!?

I'm not keen on ginger myself, but if others have tried and it helps them in whatever way, then it wouldn't hurt for you to try. If you aren't a tea person, then you can try ginger in other forms, even candied. I don't know if ginger itself as an ingredient is resulting in any immediate benefits or how much and how long you would need to ingest to show significant effects, but if it make you (or anyone) feel good/better, than it's doing something good!

In any case, if you suspect ginger, then you'd have to try various ginger specific stuff to identify correlation. If ginger tea helps sooth tummy, but no other tea or any warm liquid drink has same effect, then it could be the ginger tea.

Anyway, find out what's in those chinese dishes you are eating! Hell, it might be the msg!

Have you tried Pepto-Bismol? I know some folk who swear it helps soothe them.

And finally, are you sure you're not just preggers???