Thread: Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. *Warning, this is not PG*

Talking Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. *Warning, this is not PG*

People can be so insensitive at times. I can't tell you how many people have walked up to me and said things like "So what's wrong with you?"
    Last edited by Jim; 05-31-2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: removed personal info

Funny, you need a hidden camera to get people's reactions.

wait till total strangers walk up and start talking about their ailments. or how about the ones who start limping or grabbing some part of them and screwing their face into a pained grimace. I give them my most sympathetic look.

My favorite is when they say something like "oh, I knew a guy in a wheelchair once, ten years ago, vaguely, I mean I saw him at work sometimes.... so I can relate to you." And this is how they start off the conversation. Nothing like "hi, how are you today." They see the chair and not the person.

That's funny! Boy, I'll bet that BF has a grin from ear to ear after you tell someone that.
    Does my butt make this diaper look big?

I've gotten the same questions, plus others like: "Why do you use a wheelchair when I've seen you walk so well with your walker?" That was the one that always bothered me the most. I'd always reply with, "Well, if you knew that I have severe scoliosis and osteoarthritis. You'd be able to clearly understand why I have to use a wheelchair. It's hard for me pushing myself in my manual wheelchair for long distances. So, I have to use a power chair. It's a lot easier on me that way."

The worst times when I had to use my walker is when my power chair broke down because of the joystick controller malfunctioning, and was down for three months. It was definitely a struggle for me to use my walker for that long a time when I had no one helping me push myself in my manual wheelchair.

Samantha

This has been a popular subject in the past, a search will produce many answers to the same and similar questions. However, I must say this is the best answer I've heard in quite a while.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    This has been a popular subject in the past, a search will produce many answers to the same and similar questions. However, I must say this is the best answer I've heard in quite a while.

ditto!
    Thoughts become things, choose the good ones!