Thread: Quad needs advice on paints and airbrushing

Quad needs advice on paints and airbrushing

I’m all about improvising. That’s how I figured out I could still build plastic models. I’ve figured out how to do everything except: open and close paints (without spilling them), use a spray can, airbrush, and setting up the airbrush (getting the paint into the airbrush and cleaning it up afterwards).

I’ve got some ideas on how I might accomplish everything. I use two different kinds of paints, Testors and Model Masters:

I’m unable to open or close the paints. To help, I can have my neighbor make me a piece of wood with square cutout that holds the square bottles so I can use both hands to open it while it’s held down. For the rounds bottles, I could put a hose clamp like this one:

on the bottle and have the neighbor make me another block of wood that has a round cutout with a notch for the hose clamp so the bottles wont spin when I try to open it.

I think my other problem, with setting up the airbrush, can be solved with disposable pipettes. The only other problem I have is using spray cans…I’m clueless on how to tackle that.

The reason for my post is: are there any other quads on here that build models? AND that can use an airbrush independently? Are there any quads on here that know better methods for airbrushing etc?

Thanks!
    Last edited by DA6righthand; 02-19-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: f'ed up pictures
    -C6 incomplete
    -injured January, 14th 2006 in roll-over

nobody?
    -C6 incomplete

I airbrush but i dont do models. i use automotive paint. and can open the jars easy since they are bigger. the only thing i need help with is pouring the paint into my airbrush which my employees do for me
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

I found I could spray pretty good using an adaptation like for deodorants or hairspray. Basically a screw clamp with a hinged "L" shaped piece of aluminum over the spray head. I stopped modeling when my nephew lost interest and never got the airbrush setup.

Always figured I could epoxy something on the bottle caps. As for clean up, what are the drawbacks to leaving the airbrush in the solvent?

Quote Originally Posted by mingo View Post
    As for clean up, what are the drawbacks to leaving the airbrush in the solvent?
    not sure. i was just planning on running thinner through the airbrush til it sprays clear and having someone disassemble it and clean it every now and then.
    -C6 incomplete