Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blu-ray and HDTV's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Blu-ray and HDTV's

I'd like to buy one. A Blu-ray player that is. But I'm curious about one thing. Does a Blu-ray fill the entire screen of an HDTV? Or does it still produce the two black areas on top and below the picture?

That would totally blow if it does.

it fills it and the the picture is great

Sweet! Thanks, Druston.

I want to test out the full potential of the Panasonic 1080p plasma.

I'm thinking of staying with the Panasonic brand and going with the DMP-BD55.

Are all new release movies available in Blu-ray discs?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    Sweet! Thanks, Druston.

I want to test out the full potential of the Panasonic 1080p plasma.

I'm thinking of staying with the Panasonic brand and going with the DMP-BD55.

Are all new release movies available in Blu-ray discs?
    If you want the best and most convenient blu-ray player, go with a playstation 3. Even if you don't play games, the onboard memory and wireless updates make it the best all-around player out there.

The only real downside is that there's no power button on the remote. Because of that, I opted for a Sony bdp-s550... picked it up for $250 shipped on ebay, brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by jbinny View Post
    If you want the best and most convenient blu-ray player, go with a playstation 3. Even if you don't play games, the onboard memory and wireless updates make it the best all-around player out there.

The only real downside is that there's no power button on the remote. Because of that, I opted for a Sony bdp-s550... picked it up for $250 shipped on ebay, brand new.
    Yeah, that's what I've read. That the PS3 is a killer blu-ray.

I've really thought about buying one even if just as a blu-ray player. But it would just piss me off to look at it. I've tried many times to game with my PS2 and I just don't enjoy it because my hands don't allow me to do all the cool shit. A PS3 sitting above or below my tv would just be constantly reminding me of that. Then my fist would throttle someones ass. Just anyone's ass that happened to get in the way too.

Yeah, that's what I've read. That the PS3 is a killer blu-ray.

I've really thought about buying one even if just as a blu-ray player. But it would just piss me off to look at it. I've tried many times to game with my PS2 and I just don't enjoy it because my hands don't allow me to do all the cool shit. A PS3 sitting above or below my tv would just be constantly reminding me of that. Then my fist would throttle someones ass. Just anyone's ass that happened to get in the way too.
    LOL, i know what you mean. actually, i'm really considering one of those quad controllers, but i'm not too fond of sip'n'puff stuff.

About lines top/bottom:

You can/will still get those lines on some movies. It all depends on what aspect they originally filmed at. The 16:9 aspect of our tv's do not "line up" with all movie aspects(there are 3 different ones) so sometimes the movie is "wider" than our screen and it has to "shrink" a little to show all left/right parts, resulting in some black bars at top and bottom. You can "zoom in" to fill the screen, but then you drop off the side stuff.

You will never see any on the sides of course, unless you view something that was originally filmed in 4:3, like old tv shows.

I have the Sony S350, I bought it mainly because it handles all the latest audio codecs(as does the 550) so I get the best out of my surround system, that also handles the new codecs. The Panasonic may too, don't know.

I believe all new movies come out in both std dvd and BR.
    Last edited by McDuff; 02-15-2009 at 12:30 PM.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

The aspect ratio has nothing to do with format such as video, DVD, or Blu-ray. It varies depending on the one source itself and not the format. Hence, you've often had choices to buy full screen or wide screen DVDs. It works the same with Blu-ray. The Blu-ray disc itself has nothing to do with aspect ratio on a universal level and all to do with the particular disc. You can often bypass these defaults on the disc by changing the settings on your screen.

Totally, Dudes. Thanks for the info.

I think I'll go with a Panasonic Blu-ray player. Too bad the lines aren't a thing of the past completely. But oh wellzies.

I can't wait to unleash some 1080p on my screen. High-Def satalite is good but I read not quite 1080p good.

Totally, Dudes. Thanks for the info.

I think I'll go with a Panasonic Blu-ray player. Too bad the lines aren't a thing of the past completely. But oh wellzies.

I can't wait to unleash some 1080p on my screen. High-Def satalite is good but I read not quite 1080p good.
    I've been told that the PS3 presently plays Blu-ray discs faster than standard Blu-ray players because the PS3 requires the capability to play video games on Blu-ray discs.