View Poll Results: After TM or SCI, can part of you sense heat but not cold or vice versa?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have part of my body that senses heat but not cold

1 33.33%
  • I have part of my body that senses cold but not heat

0 0%
  • All parts of my body that feels cold can also feel heat

2 66.67%

Thread: TM: Can feel cold 4 first time in 4 years!

TM: Can feel cold 4 first time in 4 years!

Has anyone ever had this happen? My attack was 5/04 - (T6-8), and I could not feel heat, sharps, or cold from mid-waist down. In October 08, I went on cymbalta for neuropathic pain and folic acid. Since then, I've been able to "feel" cold - like water, etc. No more walking around barefoot in the snow because I could.... Now, if I can figure out how to feel heat.
    Thx,
    ray

TM... good times
    "I'm going to live forever or die trying."

Quote Originally Posted by RayM View Post
    Has anyone ever had this happen? My attack was 5/04 - (T6-8), and I could not feel heat, sharps, or cold from mid-waist down. In October 08, I went on cymbalta for neuropathic pain and folic acid. Since then, I've been able to "feel" cold - like water, etc. No more walking around barefoot in the snow because I could.... Now, if I can figure out how to feel heat.
    Thx,
    ray

TM... good times
    Ray,

Very interesting. This is the first time that I have heard of a person recovering cold sensation and not heat sensation. Cold and heat receptors should be similar.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Ray,

Very interesting. This is the first time that I have heard of a person recovering cold sensation and not heat sensation. Cold and heat receptors should be similar.

Wise.
    Should be are the magic words Wise. I feel heat up the lower outside of my left leg but not cold (when touched by cold things). I feel hot and cold on both hands but only hot items like ceramic coffee cups create a new reflex to drop the cup. I'm not talking about molten but normal cups of coffee that never bothered me pre-SCI. It's also hard to test hot and cold. I had a PT who used ice chips and hot water in Dixie cups. Those gave us some reasonably close answers.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Let's see how common this is. I just put up a poll. Wise.

I have TM 7 years now incomplete c-5 I have return of hot and cold in different places of my body. At first felt nothing now i feel poke, pinch and cold and hot not a full feeling but enough to tell the difference.
    For every minute you're angry you lose a second of happiness

No cold, heat or pin prick sensation in 24yrs (this July) for me.

Did develop a strange patch of sensation to the left of my navel. I 'feel' when I smack myself against a bone; like knock my knee under a desk, etc.