Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T4 - june 10 2008

T4 - june 10 2008

hi i became paralyzed june 10 2008. so i am 8 months out. i have been dealing with bladder spasms also as well as muscle spasms. i was on detral which didn't work then i was on ditro for a while. that gave me head ache and blurred vision. i just stopped that and am not on anything. i am having a hard time with the leaking to. my mom helps me strait cath every 3 to 4 hours during the day. i don't do it at night and am fine most of the time.
    i am looking to have the procedure done where i can cath through my stomach to. i can't wait to be able to do that on my own!!! FREEDOM!!! or a little bit more freedom anyway and INDEPENDANCE!!

i do not remember losing my hair i have so much it wouldn't have made any difference...haha.

oh yeah i'm a t4 para and i'm also a little person which makes things a little harder to do on my own. i'm only 3' 5".

i spent around 3 weeks in the hospital and 5 or 6 weeks in a rehab unit. i didn't go to a big rehab place mainly because i wanted to stay close to home where family and friends are. now i'm not sure if i went to a big rehab facility if maybe i would be able to do more or if i would have gained anything more back. i guess no way of knowing. thanks for listening.

Welcome here Bailey. You'll find answers to any question you can come up with, here. Dr's and nurses are very good. Hope all works out for ya.

Hi bailey I became a sci in may 2008 so only one month ahead of you..t6-t9 . I found it very hard. but as time goes on it gets easier. This site is great for support. The people here have more strength courage determination and ambition than anyone else...

Hi Bailey, it seems you would definitely benefit from an evaluation from a top notch urologist with lots of sci experience. Also, because you are a little person you would benefit from a very experienced, creative rehab staff so I would weigh in on the side of doing some additional rehab after some research, you may want to question facilities about whether they have dealt with a little person with sci previously.

Sounds like you have a close and supportive family, that's a great start.

Welcome Bailey! Damm another one of you being so young!! Have you tried Vesicare yet? I was on it and loved it.

Hi Bailey,
    My son had his accident on June 4, 2008 so very close to yours. He also is a T4. He gets cathed every 4 hours and we found he has no leakage if after cathing him we press gently on the bladder to get the rest of the urine out. He still leaked when he took meds and we found this to be the best.
    Try to keep working your upper body as much as you can. That is where all your strength is going to be. As a little person I am sure this won't be easy for you but it is something you must do. My son had multiple other injuries in addition so it is slow going but we are all working at it with him. We spent the whole summer last year in hospital and rehab and this year we want to be out and having some fun. He is in the hospital now for a few days with some blood clots in his legs. They feel they might be old ones that were there when he came home. Who knows. Just don't give up and keep trying Bailey.
    DavesMom, Diane

Bailey-
    If the oral bladder meds haven't worked for you or you want to try another route, I've had the bladder botox done & it's been a HUGE improvement...I was taking Sanctura & it was working, but I was taking twice the FDA recommended dosage, so my insurance wouln't pay for it. I had the botox done in August, needed it again in December...It typically lasts about six months & the more you have it done the less ofthen you should need it...I'm so glad I got it done & wouldn't go back to oral meds unless I absolutely had to...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Bailey, Check into botox in your bladder for your leakage. Its been amazing for me & others! Also don't rush into the mitrofanoff..Your injury is still so new & it really will get easier with time. I am a T4 as well and it took me a long time(bout a 1.5 years) to independently cath from my chair. I can cath from my chair very easy now!! Give yourself some time & practice before rushing into a major surgery. Im self conscious and no way would I want a pee hole on my stomach!
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

I would like to echo the above posters thoughts. I took me awhile to cath from my chair. Keep trying. Things do get easier with time.

you found the right place. hi. do you have bad hand control? a lot of people learn to cath with poor hand control. do you see a physiatrist who specializes in sci patients? that way if you would benafit from a sci center, you are more likely to be referred and encouraged to go to one. also a urologist who is used to treating sci patients is important. some urologic problem are entirely sci spacific.