View Poll Results: Have you ever used Ticket to Work & Work Incentives to help get back to work?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am not receiving SSDI and or SSI

7 28.00%
  • I have no clue what TTW & WI is.

2 8.00%
  • The opportunity to return to work, does not out weigh the benefits I could loose.

5 20.00%
  • The program is so confusing it is not worth risking my benefits.

3 12.00%
  • Yes; I went back to work and I am still employed as a result.

1 4.00%
  • Yes; I returned back to work lost my job and am waiting for Trial Work Period to reset.

0 0%
  • Yes; I went back to work but could not replace benefits lost, so I stopped work.

1 4.00%
  • Yes; I used TTW&WI and am very happy the results.

2 8.00%
  • The program is just too confusing to get involved with.

0 0%
  • *Other, please indicate what your opinion of TTW&WI is with in the postings.*

4 16.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSDI - Ticket to Work & Work Incentives

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

SSDI - Ticket to Work & Work Incentives

I would like to know how many Care Cure Members have used TTW&WI to try to go back to work.

TTW is worthless. It means nothing. It might help someone who isn't SCI because all it does is say you do not have to have a medical review. This is in case you are going to improve. I don't think anyone here is going to wake up and not be paralyzed and need to worry about getting a medical review.

Keeping benefits has nothing to do with it unless you would loose them in a medical review. If you have SSDI you have a trial work period whether you have a TTW or not. Medicaid varies by state if you will lose it or not.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

I tried to use the TTW program here in Oregon. We have to go through the State of Oregon DHS, Voc Rehab program. What a joke. Some of the contacts were outright scams being paid for by the State and Federal government. Many of them on the list I obtained were of the "stuff envelopes at home for fabulous fun and unlimited profit" variety.

Our state voc rehab is clearly not interested in helping "hard to place" cases that actually might require real work on their part, and rehab for the clients like me. They refused my application three times in two months giving a different dumb reason each time. It seems to be a pattern with a lot of these agencies and voc rehab outfits that is repeated often enough not to be a surprise to the powers that be. They dont want any difficult to assist cases. I gave up on the bunch of ninnys. I will sit on my ass and do nothing I guess. I have records that say I tried though.

The VA just sent me something about voc rehab, maybe I will give them a try when I feel like I'm getting some self esteem or something crazy like that and need to have it knocked out of me again.

I got involved in ttw a couple of years ago I started getting calls from people wanting me to assign my ticket to them. Some even offered me cash kickbacks to be paid monthly and I wouldn't have to do anything but sign forms they send me. Has anyone else received these sort of offers?

"The opportunity to return to work, does not out weigh the benefits I could loose (sic)." I am really interested in these people's stories. I imagine there is a gap, but I have no idea how big it is. In other words, if you have the ability to work 40 hours a week and were offered a job with health insurance and a salary of 200K a year you would obviously take it. 100K, sure. Here is where I don't know and I guess is somewhat location dependent. 50K? 40K?

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    "The opportunity to return to work, does not out weigh the benefits I could loose (sic)." I am really interested in these people's stories. I imagine there is a gap, but I have no idea how big it is. In other words, if you have the ability to work 40 hours a week and were offered a job with health insurance and a salary of 200K a year you would obviously take it. 100K, sure. Here is where I don't know and I guess is somewhat location dependent. 50K? 40K?

I work 40 hours a week sometime more i have medical insurance and a salary of 45,000 a year, i also have state retirement. For me i have never wanted or needed to use any type of assistance. I understand that some people can't work but for me even with my disability i had rather work. I feel better when im up working and not having to deal with all the problems of getting disability or any other type of assistance. When im working and earning a paycheck instead of waiting on a check i feel less disabled......

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    For me a baclofen pump refill copay would break the bank on an entry level salary. I am holding back right now simply because I wanted to take advantage of having time with the kids. Being home after school was worth it. They are growing though and I am headed out there.

I used VR also and they force you to assign their ticket to them. I wouldn't say there are any true benefits to the program.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    I tried to use the TTW program here in Oregon. We have to go through the State of Oregon DHS, Voc Rehab program. What a joke. Some of the contacts were outright scams being paid for by the State and Federal government. Many of them on the list I obtained were of the "stuff envelopes at home for fabulous fun and unlimited profit" variety.

Our state voc rehab is clearly not interested in helping "hard to place" cases that actually might require real work on their part, and rehab for the clients like me. They refused my application three times in two months giving a different dumb reason each time. It seems to be a pattern with a lot of these agencies and voc rehab outfits that is repeated often enough not to be a surprise to the powers that be. They dont want any difficult to assist cases. I gave up on the bunch of ninnys. I will sit on my ass and do nothing I guess. I have records that say I tried though.

The VA just sent me something about voc rehab, maybe I will give them a try when I feel like I'm getting some self esteem or something crazy like that and need to have it knocked out of me again.
    I agree and I don't think they are really great unless you are easy to place. Unless you need help with vehicle modifications or education or something expensive it is a total waste. I wasted the first half of my trial work period at Walmart because that's where VR "got me" a job.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth422 View Post
    I work 40 hours a week sometime more i have medical insurance and a salary of 45,000 a year, i also have state retirement. For me i have never wanted or needed to use any type of assistance. I understand that some people can't work but for me even with my disability i had rather work. I feel better when im up working and not having to deal with all the problems of getting disability or any other type of assistance. When im working and earning a paycheck instead of waiting on a check i feel less disabled......
    I don't want this to devolve into a who is better than whom. I work full time as well and had excellent LTD insurance that would have left me with a six figure income if I had decided to go that route. I work because I can and because I feel if I don't I would get depressed. Not all are as fortunate as us.

What I am interested in is the "gap". With a 45K salary plus a retirement payout you are probably grossing 60K+ add on 10K as a health benefit and that is 70K a year. If you don't have kids or they are grown and out of the house (since you have retirement income it seems probable) you probably aren't scrimping.

It is a different story for someone with no job, the ability to work. 1K a month tax free is only about 14K a year or 7 dollars an hour for a 40 hour a week job. My health insurance for my family is 14K a year, a tad high but lets take that as the value of SSDI health coverage. For a 3 person family the poverty level is about 20K, so if someone want to live at twice the poverty level (in other words have a life that doesn't suck) they would have to 54K a year paying for health insurance out of pocket or of course 40K a year with benfits (more like 45, if you have SCI no matter how good your private insurance is you end up paying for a lot of stuff: gloves, lube, copays, etc). That number is also not in areas like SF or NY. In california I have to pay people at least 81.5K to make then "non-exempt" in other words if they work more than 40 hours a week I don't have to pay them overtime.

I guess the ticket to work thing is supposed to provide a path but to go from 7 dollars an hour to a minimum of 45K a year in 7 months may be possible if before you were injured you had the skills to pull in that kind of money, if you didn't you seem screwed. There doesn't seem a realist way to "leap the gap" so to speak.

ps. If you are in the bay area and have stellar programming skills I have two job openings that will push the gap very far behind you

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth422 View Post
    I work full time also and a lot of times more than 40 hrs a week. I have medical insurance and a 401k thru my place of work. I also feel like with
    a job I'm mentally better off, meaning work keeps me from setting at home and being depressed. There is no freak'n way I could live off the gov. and be able to have what I have and do the things I want to do. In the begining I looked at voc rehab, but it's a joke in my area, so I went to school on my on dime then was able to get a job.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3