Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freestyle MXer Jeremy Lusk dies

Freestyle MXer Jeremy Lusk dies

Just got this sent to me; I didn't know the kid personally, but he was a fellow dirt biker, so I feel greatly for his family's loss:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/sp...tml?ref=sports

Accidents have always been a part of our sport; in my day, I saw Magoo Chandler break his neck, Danny Hamel broadside an off-duty cop in Baja, and then witnessed my own accident. It is the nature of our sport that we are always one missed reaction away from disaster.

I'll save the editorial response ('should we ban freestyle MX?' the likely headline) and spare you the 'at least he was doing what he loved when he died' line (little consolation to his family); instead, I'll repeat what I have said about several other -far too many- fallen brothers:

'God speed, friend, you are missed, but not forgotten...'
    vgrafen

My book, 'Scouring the globe for a cure: a disabled man's experiences with stem cell treatment' is available at Booklocker at the following address:

www.booklocker.com/books/2857.html

A percentage of every sale goes to CareCure.

It was in the sport news here in Italy.. I am very sad about that..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9TNZ...eature=related

Sad news for sure. bummer!

I read that on yahoo a few days ago. That sucks, I didn't know blair morgan got a sci until December, talking about TV contact lenses in 10 years but can fix this, WTF
    I am existing right now, I would give anything to live again.

There is a device called "Leatt Brace" that avoids hyperextension and hyperflexion of the cervical spine.

http://www.wingsforlife.com/prevention.php

Blog Entries
    paolocipolla,
    my husband and I were discussing why none of the freestylers wear one. think it may be that it restricts their head and neck, which they use to flip. It's a shame they are so expensive, but good to see most of the pros wearing them now.

Andy

If you saw the video of his biff, the brace would not have helped. I, however, might have benefited if if it had been available.

It isn't 'cool' in freestyle to use one, though that may be changing.
    vgrafen

My book, 'Scouring the globe for a cure: a disabled man's experiences with stem cell treatment' is available at Booklocker at the following address:

www.booklocker.com/books/2857.html

A percentage of every sale goes to CareCure.

Andy,
    I have been thinking the same thing, but we know that soon it may happen again, so I think something should be done to stop or at least reduce the risk.
    I think they should not take down from you tube the video. People must see how easy is to have a fatal accident so that they may decide not to do things that may kill them no metter how good they are.

Vgrafen, I am not sure the brace wouldn't have helped, now I can't find anymore the video on youtube to look at it again... Anyway I think it should be normal practice to use the brace, just like the helmet.

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Andy,
    I have been thinking the same thing, but we know that soon it may happen again, so I think something should be done to stop or at least reduce the risk.
    I think they should not take down from you tube the video. People must see how easy is to have a fatal accident so that they may decide not to do things that may kill them no metter how good they are.

Vgrafen, I am not sure the brace wouldn't have helped, now I can't find anymore the video on youtube to look at it again... Anyway I think it should be normal practice to use the brace, just like the helmet.

Paolo
    Taking the video off of youtube won't keep people from finding it, just like the act that people see it happening won't keep riders from doing stuff that could potentially kill them.

Riders know the risks and the potential results of something going wrong. That hasn't stopped the sport from progressing to where it is today and won't keep the tricks from getting crazier and more tehnical.

Blog Entries
    We saw the video before it was taken off and we thought the same thing...not much hope for him , no matter what equipment. I thought it was weird too how they took it off. My 13 yr old went on to see it again and told us it was gone. At any rate, the poor guy would have most likely had a TBI AND SCI. Maybe it was best for him....
    My 13 yr old is racing in his first MX race this Sunday, and we don't have the brace for him yet. I feel terrible that we have been too cheap to buy one. Think we wil do it this week.