Thread: Stem cell surgery for paraplegics

Stem cell surgery for paraplegics

If stem cell becomes legal in the US, does anyone know if it will work for complete paraplegics?

Quote Originally Posted by smiller View Post
    If stem cell becomes legal in the US, does anyone know if it will work for complete paraplegics?
    smiller,

Stem cell therapies are legal in the United States. The restriction of stem cells by Bush was just prohibition of federal funds for the research. However, the cells need to go through clinical trials and be used approved by the FDA for use for spinal cord injury before most doctors will be willing to use them.

Nobody knows yet whether stem cell therapies will be effective for complete paraplegics. In my opinion, stem cells alone (regardless of source) are unlikely to be effective and that combination therapies will be required. However, this opinion needs to be tested in humans.

Wise.

Thank you, Dr. Wise. I'm a little bitter that I am a complete (never thought I would hate that word so much!), so for some reason, I thought someone mentioned that stem cell surgery would work for incompletes, but not completes. I was pretty bummed by this, but decided not to be until I had heard something else.

Smiller,
    I understand your anger towards the word "complete". I too have been labeled that. Because of this label, I was not given the rehab. that I should have received. I have now found out that I have movement in my hips-the PT's have to feel it but it is there and sensation that isn't "supposed" to be there. It has taken me two plus years to finally move past this diagnosis. Remeber "complete" just means that you have no voluntary movement or feeling in your anal sphincter.