Thread: Question about hamsters.

Question about hamsters.

Dr. Wise,
    I was looking up on paralyzed hamsters, and I found you may have some advice. My hamster got out of his cage (I have no idea how), anyway i have a home of 3 cats and a siberian husky. One of my cats caught him, and carried him upstairs. The puncture holes were small and must have been shallow because I saw very little bloodloss, just a bit on his fur.
    What I'm wondering is if he did paralyze him, the hamster walked last night, but would drag his back end with his front paws ( could be just pain from the wounds, i know) but if he is paralyzed, is there anything we can do for him? This was 6 hours ago, and the hamster is still alive.
    If he is paralyzed, should we put him down, or is there something we can do? I know you generally get questions about people, I apologize for this radical question.
    Thank you for taking the time to respond.
    Sincerely,
    Marie

Quote Originally Posted by ladymaria333 View Post
    Dr. Wise,
    I was looking up on paralyzed hamsters, and I found you may have some advice. My hamster got out of his cage (I have no idea how), anyway i have a home of 3 cats and a siberian husky. One of my cats caught him, and carried him upstairs. The puncture holes were small and must have been shallow because I saw very little bloodloss, just a bit on his fur.
    What I'm wondering is if he did paralyze him, the hamster walked last night, but would drag his back end with his front paws ( could be just pain from the wounds, i know) but if he is paralyzed, is there anything we can do for him? This was 6 hours ago, and the hamster is still alive.
    If he is paralyzed, should we put him down, or is there something we can do? I know you generally get questions about people, I apologize for this radical question.
    Thank you for taking the time to respond.
    Sincerely,
    Marie
    Marie,

The behavior that you describe is indeed one of paraplegia in a hamster. They can walk with their front paws dragging their hind end. The animal is probably not suffering at the present because the spinal cord injury causes loss of sensation in addition to the paralysis. By the way, it may recover.

Hamsters and mice develop spontaneous incontinence and, unlike humans and rats, don't need bladder expression to release their urine. While it is possible to keep a hamster with chronic spinal cord injury alive for long periods, it may require medication that may require the veterinarian.

The most common problem of an animal with spinal cord injury is urinary tract infection. If it gets urinary tract infection, you can see blood in the urine and sometimes smelly urine. To detect this, I recommend a bedding that is made of sterilized white paper (we use a brand called Alpha-dri). Blood in the urine can be seen on such paper.

When the hamster has this, it should get an antibiotic (such as Cipro... we use something called Baytril) for seven days. Sometimes the hamster may have bladder or kidney stones, in which case the antibiotics may not work. In such case, usually there is not much that can be done and the hamster dies.

About a quarter of animals may develop neuropathic pain that will be manifested by their biting their flanks, legs, or feet. If that should develop, treat the animals with baby Tylenol (65 mg/kg daily, cherry flavor because they like it) as soon as you seem them biting so that there is fur loss below the injury site. You need to continue to this treatment daily until everything is healed.

There maybe other problems but they are rare enough so that you are unlikely to encounter them and you can ask.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 02-09-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Hi Sir,
    I also owns a hamster and lately she have been leaking urine when we pick her and around the cages. Her urine does not contains blood however she experiences pain and squeak if we touches or squeezes her abdomen lightly. if we carry her and flips her over, urine is "squeezed" out from her.. Both my mum and i are very worried. is it a sign of UTI or kidney stones?

please advise us thank you!