Thread: Rant!

Unhappy Rant!

I started receiving PCA services through Medicaid in late November. It took a long time before members of my home were at the point where we were ready to do this. So I get approved through Medicaid and the home health social worker helps me pick out a PCA agency and from the start the aide was great. However the agency I was with didn't make sense. They started telling me that on months where there were 31 days that Medicaid doesn't allot enough hours so I needed to not have services for a day or to cut services in half for a few days so I had enough hours for the end of the month. This immediately threw up a red flag in my mind because I had read enough about AD here and I knew that for Medicaid to not allot enough hours for a full month would put them responsible for any serious health issue that resulted from lack of caregiver hours.

I needed more hours since we just didn't have the time to do everything in the time alloted so the agency contacted Medicaid who sent out a 3rd party representative. I asked the lady for clarification in the hours and it didn't make sense to her and she called Medicaid who said that what the agency told me wasn't right. Medicaid said that I get the allotted number of hours EVERY week regardless of how many days there are in a month. They called the corporate head of the company who then called the branch that I was with. Well they became very rude if not hostile with me very quickly. My aide saw my stress level increase and told me about another agency she was with. I had them come out, got a good feeling about them and changed agencies that day and was happy that I was still able to keep the same aide.

Well today my aide quits the new agency that she referred me to and I am left going through the process of finding someone that I like. I had someone fill in yesterday because my aide was unavailable and the girl they sent out today was just way too rough when getting me into the sling for the hoyer lift. I almost lost my balance several times and was swinging around like crazy while in the air.

I know that this is a process and that it will take time for me to get used to a new aide and vice versa but I just cannot help but be really upset that I was given no notice before aide left. I know that I am lucky to be with an agency that can send out other aides and I can pick one that works well with me and that I don't have to put a listing on Craig's list or something. I just feel that since she worked with me for almost 3 months that she could have given me a heads up that she was leaving instead of nothing; especially since there were no issues between us that I was aware of. I just don't want my family to get turned off on the idea of an aide as of a result of this and the issues with the old agency.

Am I being too sensitive here or is the aide being unprofessional by not giving advance notice?

Sorry this happened, but an aide is not a professional. It is not nice to not give notice, but aides who work for HHA or as PCAs are notoriously unstable as employees, and not giving notice (or just not showing up) is very common. You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince. Move on with the agency and try someone else until you find someone that you can work with, but don't lapse into a sense of false security that this will be a long term or stable relationship. Change is more common than stability.

(KLD)

Thanks KLD,
    I kept telling my Mom that hey she might not be around long but I guess I did get lured into a false sense of security. I think I just need to learn to keep it as a strictly pca-client relationship so that when this happens again I won't take it personally.